Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1940 Minting Error

This 1940 penny does not have a rim or edge. Minting error? Any thoughts are appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 23, 2019 4:23PM

Your coin was ALTERED to make it look odd and different after it left the mint. It is a nice curiosity worth two to three cents to someone (me) who collects altered coins because he is too lazy to make them for himself! :) Keep looking and Good Luck!

• Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,408 ✭✭✭✭✭

It may have been a foreign planchet that was jammed in the tote bin after minting a foreign coin. The tote bin was then used to strike Lincoln Cents, and when the bin was dumped, the planchet came loose.

My guess.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree with @Insider2. It was altered after it left the mint. It may have spent some time soaking in an acidic solution (looks similar to some I made in chem lab years ago) . Regardless of what caused it, it's a damaged cent, not an error

Member of the ANA since 1982
  • Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 23, 2019 5:12PM

This below and to use as a dime in a pay phone. Remember those.

Donato

Edited to add: Put a dime on top of it and see if it is the same size.

@AUandAG said:
    If it's the size of a dime it was probably filed down so that it could be used in a vending machine back in the day when the vendors didn't look at metal content, just size.

bob :)

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,751 ✭✭✭✭✭

Altered for fraudulent purposes.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Definitely an altered coin.... As stated above, frequently done to use in pay phones. Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file