Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

July Card Acquisitions....vintage and modern....what cards did you get?

Comments

• DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭✭✭

I had a loose 88 Starting Lineup card and figure of Andre Tippett but my card was in terrible condition. So when @1951WheatiesPremium offered me a packaged 88 Tippett at a fair price, I grabbed it. Even though I already owned 2 nice copies of the 89 Tippett card, I'd never owned that figure, so I grabbed a packaged 89 on eBay too. Here they are when they arrived in their caskets:

And then post carnage:

The 88 card was a huge upgrade, as I expected. I grabbed the 2 new figures to put on a shelf with the one I've had since 1988, then I noticed something. Why does my "new" 88 on the right have a different face mask than the other 88 on the left?

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, Dwight Evans, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,393 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 8, 2019 8:21PM

I pulled another Acuna Finest card - have 2 from the set and a really cool whiskey decanter.

Michter Whiskey has made a bunch of commemorative decanters - I have one featuring PA football and this one celebrating the Long Horns.

The guy had free shipping - turned out he lives near me so he delivered it to the Whataburger right near my house.

Watched the HR Derby tonite. Was one of the best I've ever seen Vlad Jr broke a record leading to the finale - so IMO he kind of punched himself out. Alonso was killer!

Mike
  • RoflesRofles Posts: 753 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lucked out and got a great deal on this! I CANT WAIT to send this off for grading and the others! 😁👍

Nice Bonds.

Mike
  • PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

Are those black spots on the card?

88 Starting Lineup

I remember when these were white hot.

Still think they're cool.

Mike
  • Time4aGansettTime4aGansett Posts: 382 ✭✭✭

The 88 card was a huge upgrade, as I expected. I grabbed the 2 new figures to put on a shelf with the one I've had since 1988, then I noticed something. Why does my "new" 88 on the right have a different face mask than the other 88 on the left?

If I recall, the helmet on the right figure is a 1989 helmet, the one on the left is 1988. I believe there is a date on the 1989 helmets, none on the 1988 helmets. Also looks like the one on the lefts helmet is an offensive helmet, could you have had other loose figures and accidentally mixed helmets? I could be wrong, it's been 20+ years since I have dealt with SLU figures. I do know it was important back in the day for the loose collectors, as helmets were often lost, and Kenner helped this out by releasing a helmet set so collectors could have helmets for loose figures that were lost.

• countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DBesse27 said:
    I had a loose 88 Starting Lineup card and figure of Andre Tippett but my card was in terrible condition. So when @1951WheatiesPremium offered me a packaged 88 Tippett at a fair price, I grabbed it. Even though I already owned 2 nice copies of the 89 Tippett card, I'd never owned that figure, so I grabbed a packaged 89 on eBay too. Here they are when they arrived in their caskets:

And then post carnage:

I have an opened Tippett that has a helmet like your newly opened one. I believe like another post suggested, you've mixed up helmets with another opened Patriots figure at some point over the years on your other Tippett.

Thanks guys, that might be it. (Face palm)

Yaz Master Set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, Dwight Evans, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• RoflesRofles Posts: 753 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PaulMaul said:
    Are those black spots on the card?

Not sure where the spots came from, here:

@Stone193 said:
    Nice Bonds. Thanks!

• LOTSOSLOTSOS Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭✭✭

@yoda99 said:
    I don't usually buy hockey but couldn't help myself when I came across this tall boy. The PSA 3 Bart Starr is actually an upgrade of my PSA 5. I think the 3 looks better than the 5.

Very nice Mikita!

Kevin

• TheThrill22TheThrill22 Posts: 976 ✭✭✭

@Dpeck100 said:
    I don't buy that many cards anymore but when I find a yellow card with this amount of lower border I am going after it. Mil Mascaras was amazing in the ring and a huge movie star in Mexico. A great card!

Mil Mascaras is one of the most unheralded wrestlers of all-time. Great card!

• Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,912 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TheThrill22 said:

@Dpeck100 said:
    I don't buy that many cards anymore but when I find a yellow card with this amount of lower border I am going after it. Mil Mascaras was amazing in the ring and a huge movie star in Mexico. A great card!

Thank you for the comment. When I first started collecting this set I went to YouTube to check out many of the wrestlers and I was amazed at how smooth Mil Mascaras was in the ring. He has to be one of the best technical wrestlers of all time and had a tremendous build and athleticism. He truly was an international star and was huge in Japan and certainly one of the top stars of the 70's. One of the things I like so much about him is he stayed in character at all times and one reason his card is somewhat difficult to find signed is he refused to fly without the mask and so he hasn't done many signings. Perhaps this has loosened up but I know for fact he had a hard time traveling to the states after 9/11. I have read he wasn't easy to work with behind the scenes and so perhaps this has led to not many people putting him over. Either way an amazing wrestler and he truly was a mega star. This card is extremely tough to find centered and I went crazy for the second 9 that popped up a handful of years ago because if you are going to have the best set you need the best looking cards even if the grade is the same. I already had the first 9 and the second one is superior. I have found you never regret paying good money for a spectacular copy.

• 1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 9, 2019 7:49PM

@Dpeck100 said:

@TheThrill22 said:

@Dpeck100 said:

Thank you for the comment. When I first started collecting this set I went to YouTube to check out many of the wrestlers and I was amazed at how smooth Mil Mascaras was in the ring. He has to be one of the best technical wrestlers of all time and had a tremendous build and athleticism. He truly was an international star and was huge in Japan and certainly one of the top stars of the 70's. One of the things I like so much about him is he stayed in character at all times and one reason his card is somewhat difficult to find signed is he refused to fly without the mask and so he hasn't done many signings. Perhaps this has loosened up but I know for fact he had a hard time traveling to the states after 9/11. I have read he wasn't easy to work with behind the scenes and so perhaps this has led to not many people putting him over. Either way an amazing wrestler and he truly was a mega star. This card is extremely tough to find centered and I went crazy for the second 9 that popped up a handful of years ago because if you are going to have the best set you need the best looking cards even if the grade is the same. I already had the first 9 and the second one is superior. I have found you never regret paying good money for a spectacular copy.

Having overpaid for this guy today (for my 1998 NYY Rookies Set), I agree that I have no regrets about the overpaying as there are only 18 others. As for the set, the 1998 Yankees are literally the greatest single season team ever assembled, compiling the greatest record of all time by a World Series winner (125-50). This guy was a big part and had many big hits that season in addition to the leadership and experience he brought to the table.

1982 Topps #171 Giants Future Stars Brenly/Davis/Tufts

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• ahopkinsahopkins Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭✭✭

@yoda99 said:

Good lord, man!!

Andy

This one, on the other hand, was a bargain to me ($13.36 SHIPPED!!!) - also for the 1998 NYY Rookies Set. David was the quintessential guy’s guy and resembled a softball player but had a golden left arm. Boomer loved the Yankees (especially the Babe), he loved the NYPD and FDNY, he loved cold beers and we loved when he threw a perfect game (with a massive hangover, as the story goes). He was eventually traded for Clemens which probably helped them win the three straight but this guy sure was a beast for the ‘98 Yankees and we would not have won the first one without him...

1988 DonRuss #640 David Wells

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Huskies11Huskies11 Posts: 312 ✭✭✭

@1951WheatiesPremium said:
    This one, on the other hand, was a bargain to me ($13.36 SHIPPED!!!) - also for the 1998 NYY Rookies Set. David was the quintessential guy’s guy and resembled a softball player but had a golden left arm. Boomer loved the Yankees (especially the Babe), he loved the NYPD and FDNY, he loved cold beers and we loved when he threw a perfect game (with a massive hangover, as the story goes). He was eventually traded for Clemens which probably helped them win the three straight but this guy sure was a beast for the ‘98 Yankees and we would not have won the first one without him...

1988 DonRuss #640 David Wells

That's the face of a man who could pitch a perfect game still drunk from the night before. Amazing pitcher, nice pickup.

Currently Collecting:

• Baseball: Griffey Jr, Red Sox, 80s/90s/00s
    • Basketball: Jordan, Bird, 80s/90s
    • Football: Tom Brady, Randy Moss, Patriots
    • Hockey: Gretzky, Buffalo Sabres

Flickr: https://flickr.com/gp/184724292@N07/686763

If anyone here won this? Please out yourself.

80K on a 15-25 estimate! Wow.

Mike
  • NGS428NGS428 Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ken gettin' tangled up with those pesky Dodgers.... At least Ken is not on his head!

• vols1vols1 Posts: 784 ✭✭✭
    edited July 9, 2019 8:48PM

@DBesse27 said:

https://us.v-cdn.net/6027503/uploads/editor/5j/six51ag65var.jpg "")

Most likely helmet mixed up with another player after it was opened..
    https://kennerstartinglineup.blogspot.com/2018/01/1988-starting-lineup-football-archive.html

Tippett was also featured in one of the original SLU commercials with full helmet...
    https://kennerstartinglineup.blogspot.com/2018/11/slu-advertisements-and-commercials.html

• slum22slum22 Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 9, 2019 8:46PM

@ahopkins said:
    I purchased this 1984 Topps rack box a week ago or so, and the seller used the following picture of the item.

The knee of Strawberry was just enough to convince me it was was him hiding in the second row. I messaged the seller and asked if all racks pictured would be sent to me, not giving any indication that the Strawberry rack was beneath. The listing said nothing about the Strawberry, just the Mattingly. We worked out a deal on the box. I now have it in my possession, and both rookies get to sit on top now.

Wow, nice eye. You definitely deserved the reward for your detective work there. Those are some nice looking packs.

Steve
  • krisd3279krisd3279 Posts: 808 ✭✭✭✭

Added a few more 71T. Lee Maye is looking a little tipsy, but for the price I couldn't pass these up. Only 14 more to go to complete my raw set.

Kris

My 1971 Topps adventure - Davis Men in Black

@vols1 said:

@DBesse27 said:

https://kennerstartinglineup.blogspot.com/2018/01/1988-starting-lineup-football-archive.html

Tippett was also featured in one of the original SLU commercials with full helmet...
    https://kennerstartinglineup.blogspot.com/2018/11/slu-advertisements-and-commercials.html

Thanks, love your site!

Yaz Master Set

• LOTSOSLOTSOS Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ahopkins said:
    I purchased this 1984 Topps rack box a week ago or so, and the seller used the following picture of the item.

So I scrolled to picture #3, and this is what I saw.

Do you see what I saw? Look at the first picture again.

See what's under the Mattingly rack? Here's the other picture again.

The knee of Strawberry was just enough to convince me it was was him hiding in the second row. I messaged the seller and asked if all racks pictured would be sent to me, not giving any indication that the Strawberry rack was beneath. The listing said nothing about the Strawberry, just the Mattingly. We worked out a deal on the box. I now have it in my possession, and both rookies get to sit on top now.

Congrats Andy! Fantastic find.

Kevin

• vols1vols1 Posts: 784 ✭✭✭

@DBesse27 said:

@vols1 said:

@DBesse27 said:

Thanks, love your site!

I forgot that Tippett was also in the 'Talking' Football set...
    https://kennerstartinglineup.blogspot.com/2018/01/1989-slu-talking-football.html

Yup, I’ve got the card of him and Mecklenburg

Yaz Master Set

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 10, 2019 3:10PM

Why are Pokemon cards so valuable? My scooby Doo rookie card should be worth more than any Pokemon.

@doubledragon said:
    Why are Pokemon cards so valuable? My scooby Doo rookie card should be worth more than any Pokemon.

I think because many people out there covet the (First Edition especially) Pokémon cards. As a franchise, it’s been around a while and has a pretty big fan base and ‘New Releases’ every so often that help it stay relevant - a summer or two ago, kids were walking the neighborhood on their phones playing some Pokémon game and I took my son to see the Detective Pikachu movie earlier this year.

I do not collect Pokémon cards but I imagine collecting small to large pictures of (mostly) dead baseball players on cardboard seems odd to many, as well.

To each, their own.

And speaking of my own, this pickup is courtesy of a fellow board member and while not a part of the PSA 1998 NYY Rookies Set, maybe he ought to be...very valued contributor...

1981 Topps #479 Expos Future Stars (Tim Raines RC)

Thanks again, @pdub1819 , for a very sharp card...

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 10, 2019 4:14PM

@1951WheatiesPremium said:

@doubledragon said:

I think because many people out there covet the (First Edition especially) Pokémon cards. As a franchise, it’s been around a while and has a pretty big fan base and ‘New Releases’ every so often that help it stay relevant - a summer or two ago, kids were walking the neighborhood on their phones playing some Pokémon game and I took my son to see the Detective Pikachu movie earlier this year.

I do not collect Pokémon cards but I imagine collecting small to large pictures of (mostly) dead baseball players on cardboard seems odd to many, as well.

To each, their own.

And speaking of my own, this pickup is courtesy of a fellow board member and while not a part of the PSA 1998 NYY Rookies Set, maybe he ought to be...very valued contributor...

1981 Topps #479 Expos Future Stars (Tim Raines RC)

Thanks again, @pdub1819 , for a very sharp card...

Yes, Pokemon has a strong presence in the collecting world. A trophy Pikachu trainer card is on Ebay right now, going for $100,000. I feel my Scooby should be worth at least $50,000. It hurts that it's only worth $1.99. Scooby has been around since the 70s.

• Time4aGansettTime4aGansett Posts: 382 ✭✭✭

@vols1 said:

@DBesse27 said:

Thanks for posting the link for your site. Just perused it, it brings back many memories! I wonder where the guys are today?

• Huskies11Huskies11 Posts: 312 ✭✭✭

Cracking this guy open tonight. First time opening a low # box. Wish me luck.

Currently Collecting:

• Baseball: Griffey Jr, Red Sox, 80s/90s/00s
    • Basketball: Jordan, Bird, 80s/90s
    • Football: Tom Brady, Randy Moss, Patriots
    • Hockey: Gretzky, Buffalo Sabres

Flickr: https://flickr.com/gp/184724292@N07/686763

• ahopkinsahopkins Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Huskies11 said:

Shu-weeet! Good luck! Post 'im if you get 'im!

Andy

@Huskies11 said:

Crack into this one! Lets see some premier set stars!

• CommemKingCommemKing Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭✭✭

I recently ripped a low number 1989 UD box from BBCE and hit absolutely nothing. No Griffey, no Randy Johnson, absolutely nothing. Good luck to you though.

• rtimmerrtimmer Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:

>
    Good question! Not sure that is the Scooby rookie though what set and yr is that from?

Follow me at LinkedIn & Instagram: @ryanscard
    Join the Rookie stars on top PSA registry today:
    1980-1989 Cello Packs - Rookies
  • rmh111985rmh111985 Posts: 394 ✭✭✭✭

A few more pickups this week. The first I've missed out on several times, a tough find in the gold medallion version:

The next two are low pop inserts that I've had trouble finding raw:

And finally, a low pop insert of arguably the 3 most dominant forwards of the 90's, another tough find, raw or graded:

Main collecting focus is Patrick Roy playing days 85/86-02/03, expect 1/1, National/All-Star stamped cards.PC Completion: 2,548/2,952; 86.31% My Patrick Roy PC Website:https://proy33collector.weebly.com

edited July 10, 2019 8:40PM

@Huskies11 said:

Not a bad box all things considered. Last week I tore through 3 boxes of 89 Donruss with no Griffeys to speak of so I went into this box fairly pessimistic.

Mr Griffey showed himself about halfway through this box along with 2 very nice looking Randy Johnsons. Most of the major star cards had some centering issues, but found a few nice Cals. Overall I'm happy with it. I'll probably sub the Griffey and Randys in the next month. @NGS428 hoping for the elusive low-pop PSA 2 or 3 for you!

Very nice! If you can manage a 1 to a 2.5 that would be great! You might have to drop or crease that one a bit to get that low. :smile: I have a 3 already. Sorry for the bad luck in the Donruss. I bought a couple packs from my neighbor at his garage sale a few years ago and pulled one. Guess I had some luck that day!

• pdub1819pdub1819 Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭✭
  • jfkheatjfkheat Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

I received these in the last few days. The 59 Spahn AS is an upgrade for my All Star set. The others are additions to sets I'm working on.

• stwainfanstwainfan Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭✭✭

A Jordan Skybox.

I collect hall of fame rookie cards, https://www.instagram.com/stwainfan/

• PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MLBdays said:
    @PaulMaul .... I thought you were kinda wacky...this confirms it.

You’re only figuring that out now?! 😂