Home Sports Talk
Options

My interest in the womans soccer finals is a 2 out of 10.

2»

Comments

• Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,379 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m not a soccer fan at all, but I turned it on and could not stop watching. Great game, ladies. WELL DONE!

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    dallasactuarydallasactuary Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭✭✭

@keets said:
    hey genius, go reread my post, it has everything to do with how the Team of Women reacted to our President.

Huh? I didn't comment on that, I only commented on your statement that only a misogynist wouldn't agree that the women should be paid as much as the men since they do equal work. I have not offered, nor do I possess, an opinion about their politics because I don't care. Since you missed all that, I agree that makes me the genius in this exchange.

your Minor League/Major League argument is pretty pathetic, too.

Okey-dokey. Your scathing rebuttal would carry more weight, though, if you'd explain why. "Equal pay for equal work" is what you said; why are minor leaguers not working as hard as major leaguers? If they started (again) a women's baseball league, would you insist that only a misogynist would disagree that the best players should be paid 25 million a year? If not, why not?

you don't like Soccer, I get that because neither do I. but consider how Dimeman summed it up: it's always good when the USA wins. how is lost on you guys??

It is true that I don't like soccer, but what I said, and what constitutes a more accurate description of my feelings about the World Cup is that I don't care. I'm not rooting for the US team, and I'm not rooting against them. I. Don't. Care. It's women's soccer. Behold my field of fu**s - it is barren. If it helps, I feel exactly the same way about rhythm gymnastics, synchronized swimming, any snowboarding event, or a whole host of other events, men's or women's.

while we're at it, how do the men generate more "income" for the Federation than the Women?? the Women actually finish either 1st, 2nd or 3rd EVERY FREAKIN' TOURNAMENT while the Men play 1-2 games and go home.

"How" do they generate more income? For the answer to that you're going to have to understand that there are other countries in the world, and that 99% of the Federation's income comes from those countries, where there are enormous advertising and sponsorship deals, where the people buy soccer jerseys and team logo inscribed hats and cups and everything else, the way US people buy baseball, football, basketball and hockey stuff (combined). The worst NFL team might lose 12 games year-in, year-out, but the owner still rakes in the dough. The US men's team may suck, but by virtue of being in the men's league, they generate orders of magnitude more revenue than the women's team. Is this just, is it fair, is it woke? I. Don't. Care. It is what it is, whether you understand it or not, and whether you choose to ignore it or not.

This is for you @thisistheshow - Jim Rice was actually a pretty good player.
  • Options
    garnettstylegarnettstyle Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 8, 2019 4:07AM

There was a soccer game this weekend? Too bad i missed it. Only thing worse than women's basketball is soccer.

Now bring on woman's Tennis at Wimbledon. The entire World is watching the 15 year old sensation Coco Gauff today for a shot at the quarterfinals.

Also, the most famous Woman athlete in the World..Serena Williams is playing today.

IT CAN'T BE A TRUE PLAYOFF UNLESS THE BIG TEN CHAMPIONS ARE INCLUDED

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

hopeless, have a nice day Dallas.

• Options
    santinidollarsantinidollar Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭✭✭

How long you suppose before women softball players raise hell about the money made by MLB players?

Enjoy a laugh, then think about this: that’s the true idea behind wealth redistribution.

• Options

@santinidollar said:
    How long you suppose before women softball players raise hell about the money made by MLB players?

Enjoy a laugh, then think about this: that’s the true idea behind wealth redistribution.

Keets would call this comment pathetic and hopeless, although he wouldn't so much as provide a hint why he thinks so. But yes, you're right. Any time the free market is replaced as the mechanism for determining what anything is worth, including labor, the result is wealth redistribution. When it happens with professional athletes, it's just an absurd joke, but when it happens in the real economy it has real consequences that always make everyone worse off, except for the woke warriors like keets who get to feel super good about how morally superior they are.

• Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 8, 2019 6:08PM

Kardashians make hundreds of millions of dollars acting like idiots on TV.

Forty OFR members act like idiots online for zero compensation.

Seems inequitable.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,522 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 10, 2019 4:24AM

The men's soccer teams generate a lot more money than the women's teams. According to a news report last night, on my local station, which presented both sides, the women take in a total of $131 million while the men total $6 billion. This is the reason why the men have been paid more historically. Oddly enough from the funds that could be available to the athletes, the women get higher percentage of their smaller pie than the men get of their larger pie.

Look at this way. There is the NBA and there is the WNBA, which is the women’s basketball professional league. I will guarantee you that the NBA players earn a lot more than the WNBA players because of the receipts from attendance, TV rights, team logo rights and other revenues which are higher for the men than the women. If you don’t make as much in gross revenues, you can’t expect to make as much in salaries.

If you want to fix that, spend more of your money in the consumption women’s sports. If you think that money should be taken from the men's receipts to pay the women more, I will disagree with you.

Years ago, a New England college, and if forget which one, had to shut down its men's baseball team because of the funding requirements that forced funds to be diverted to women's sports. I don't think that is fair, but if you do, you and I shall agree to disagree.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

@BillJones said:
    If you think that money should be taken from the men's receipts to pay the women more, I will disagree with you.

You are clearly a pathetic, hopeless misogynist.

Signed, keets.

This is exactly what happens in women's tennis, which is why the Federation takes the women's absurd demand seriously.

Signed, dallasactuary (another pathetic, hopeless misogynist)

• Options

Until women play best of 5 sets, they dont deserve equal pay in Tennis.

• Options

it's interesting to note that 14 million viewers were tuned in to watch the final. I don't know what that means in terms of revenue for the US Federation, I only know that the Team playing and winning the game was the US Womens Team. another salient point is that the US Mens Team hasn't won the Tournament in its existence and failed to even qualify for the last Tournament. that is a pretty strong argument for the US Federation to have to fight.

forget about dumping money into the Men's Team, at one quarter of that amount the ROI is much better. I say to cut the funds to what the Women's program receives, the Men will lose with that just as easily as they lose with what they get now. maybe even let some of the Women play on the men's Team, could it get worse??

Dallas, quit being a putz and go sharpen that axe, you are still in the realm of the pathetic and out of whatever League you might fit into. trust me, you don't really want to tangle cause it'll get bad before it gets worse. better yet, just it die a peaceful death.

• Options

Bill, there is no arguing that the Men's World Cup generates more money, only a fool would argue otherwise. the problem arises when you stop and realize that the US Men's Team doesn't generate very much, if any, of that. since they don't even participate in some of the Tournaments is is a bit disingenuous to say that "they" generate more money. on the other hand, the US Women's Team is responsible for much of the interest WorldWide in the Women's Tournament.

the biggest point made that I tend to agree with is that Soccer will just never be popular in the US. no matter how hard it is promoted it just can't really be taken seriously in America. it is a demanding Sport and most if not all of us here discussing it would have trouble competing, even in our younger prime. I equate Soccer and Hockey, neither really interests me but I accept that Hockey requires a lot more skill and tends to be dangerous. that's what Americans seem to like, an element of danger in the Sports we play.

why else would Americans on a school ball field invent a game called Kill the man with the Ball?? B)

• Options
    edited July 10, 2019 5:43AM

I was in a band in the late 1960's. We wanted to be like the Beatles but we sucked. We had a drummer (me) and I had a decent second hand set of Ludwig drums with Zildjian cymbals. Other players were a clarinet and a tenor sax. We worked hard, maybe at that point harder than the Beatles as they were spaced out on drugs by then, but we sucked. Maybe if Eric Clapner or Billy Preston helped out we would have made it. We didn't have a phone number though for either one.

The money never rolled in as we never had a gig. Ed Sullivan never called and neither did Woodstock.

The group broke up and we moved on to other stuff like coins and baseball cards.

• Options
    BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,355 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinstartled said:
    I was in a band in the late 1960's. We wanted to be like the Beatles but we sucked. We had a drummer (me) and I had a decent second hand set of Ludwig drums with Zildjian cymbals. Other players were a clarinet and a tenor sax. We worked hard, maybe at that point harder than the Beatles as they were spaced out on drugs by then, but we sucked. Maybe if Eric Clapner or Billy Preston helped out we would have made it. We didn't have a phone number though for either one.

The money never rolled in as we never had a gig. Ed Sullivan never called and neither did Woodstock.

The group broke up and we moved on to other stuff like coins and baseball cards.

Did Eric Clapner play bass?

• Options

We were hoping to get him on Sitar as the group needed a a hippie sound.

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dallasactuary said:
    You beat me by 2. I would pay money to watch them play in a high school boy's playoff, though. I don't think enough people really understand that the best women's soccer team in the world would lose to any good HS boy's team, and if they witnessed it, maybe the whining about how they aren't paid as much as the men would mercifully stop. Ditto for women's tennis, by the way, but their whining worked, so there's probably no stopping the whining in soccer.

Is this true? I believe they'd lose to any good college men's team and some HS championship teams, but I think the above is a bit of an exaggeration. Of course there is no way to test as it would be too embarrassing. On the note of equal pay for equal work, I believe Ronald Acuna works just as hard as Chris Davis, and is VASTLY SUPERIOR at his job. Is it "fair" for Davis to make far more money?

• Options
    TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭

USA World Cup Finals Appearances
    Women: 5
    Men: 0

USA World Cup Victories
    Women: 4
    Men: 0

USA World Cup Appearances
    Women: 8 (out of 8 tournaments)
    Men: 10 (out of 23 tournaments)

Olympic Gold Medals:
    Women: 4, plus 1 Silver (6 Olympics since 1996)
    Men: 0, plus 1 Silver and 1 Bronze (26 Olympics since 1900)

Gold Cups:
    Women: 8
    Men: 6

Conclusion #1: maybe it's time cut funding to the men, 'cause all that money they're getting ain't helping.
    Conclusion #2: a strong case can be made for dramatically increasing resources and pay to the WNT. The ROI has been more than worth it thus far.

• Options

@daltex said:

@dallasactuary said:
    You beat me by 2. I would pay money to watch them play in a high school boy's playoff, though. I don't think enough people really understand that the best women's soccer team in the world would lose to any good HS boy's team, and if they witnessed it, maybe the whining about how they aren't paid as much as the men would mercifully stop. Ditto for women's tennis, by the way, but their whining worked, so there's probably no stopping the whining in soccer.

Is this true? I believe they'd lose to any good college men's team and some HS championship teams, but I think the above is a bit of an exaggeration. Of course there is no way to test as it would be too embarrassing. On the note of equal pay for equal work, I believe Ronald Acuna works just as hard as Chris Davis, and is VASTLY SUPERIOR at his job. Is it "fair" for Davis to make far more money?

Point will be moot in a few years as male players declare themselves as transgender woman and join the ladies soccer league. Pay will increase as the quality of play gets better.

• Options

@daltex said:

@dallasactuary said:

Is this true? I believe they'd lose to any good college men's team and some HS championship teams, but I think the above is a bit of an exaggeration.

The best national women's teams play practice games against boys all the time because there aren't enough women not already on the team who can play them competitively. And when they play boys, they generally play under-15 boys teams, because that provides the best approximation of what they'll face when they get to the international games. And those under-15 boys teams, if they're good ones, beat the women, often handily. Any men's college team, even the worst one provided it's a real team, would beat them handily. High school teams with boys over 15 would generally beat them; they'd have to be "good", but certainly not championship level.

• Options

@keets said:
    Dallas, quit being a putz and go sharpen that axe, you are still in the realm of the pathetic and out of whatever League you might fit into.

keets, I'm a big boy and I promise I won't melt if once, just once, you would not just call me names but actually explain what it is I'm saying that you disagree with, and why. Especially since you now seem to agree with the only points I've been making. If there is a point I've made that you think is wrong, quote it (don't paraphrase because you'll change the meaning if you do), and then explain what is incorrect about it. Or don't, but you just look silly attacking me without explaining what it is you're attacking.

• Options
    edited July 11, 2019 1:22AM

@1970s said:
    Here is a list of the most popular sports in America. Not surprisingly, NFL football is #1.

https://sportsshow.net/most-popular-sports-in-america/

If college sports were included, football would be #2 on the list behind the NFL.

Had no idea Tennis is the most popular Individual sport. I would've guessed Boxing or MMA.

Bowling was once a very popular TV sport in the glory days. I dont think i have ever watched Badminton in my life. Fun to play though.

• Options

Enjoyed watching bowling on Sunday mornings.

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,201 ✭✭✭✭✭

Karate chimp is always entertaining.

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,907 ✭✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:

Obviously it's a midget who is talented in the martial arts wearing a chimp outfit.

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,201 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stevek said:

@doubledragon said:

Obviously it's a midget who is talented in the martial arts wearing a chimp outfit.

I'm afraid it's all too real. Check out The Karate Chimp on Youtube. It's part of a National Geographic documentary. The guy actually taught the chimp.

• Options
    edited July 14, 2019 3:31AM

@keets said:
    it's interesting to note that 14 million viewers were tuned in to watch the final.

8 million less viewers than the last woman's World cup

2015 - 22 million viewers.