My interest in the womans soccer finals is a 2 out of 10.

CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 8,119 ✭✭✭✭✭

Don't like soccer so that is a negative. Both sides wear Nike stuff so that is a negative. US team decided to get political so that is a negative. No protective netting for the fans so that is a negative. ;)

«1

Comments

  • dallasactuarydallasactuary Posts: 2,480 ✭✭✭

    You beat me by 2. I would pay money to watch them play in a high school boy's playoff, though. I don't think enough people really understand that the best women's soccer team in the world would lose to any good HS boy's team, and if they witnessed it, maybe the whining about how they aren't paid as much as the men would mercifully stop. Ditto for women's tennis, by the way, but their whining worked, so there's probably no stopping the whining in soccer.

    dallasactuary

    Official defender of Ron Santo
    Official defender of Bert Blyleven
    Official defender of Bill Mazeroski
    Jim Rice sucks
    Jack Morris sucks and blows simultaneously.
  • santinidollarsantinidollar Posts: 400 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 6, 2019 9:55PM

    Since members of the US team seem to be down in the mouth about their country, I suggest they forfeit the game and spare themselves any more embarrassment of representing the US.

    Two things:
    1. I am a proud American.
    2. I hope they get the hell besten out of them.

    One interesting thing: I never thought anything would be as boring as women’s basketball. Then along came women’s soccer. Shows you what I know.

  • 1970s1970s Posts: 2,652 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 7, 2019 5:09AM
    1. Totally into the final today. As I said in another thread, Carly Lloyd grew up 10 minutes from here and we're friends of her family, so I'm totally rooting for the USA to get back to back titles.

    As far as the other comments, the women don't get paid in basketball and soccer for one reason, and one reason only. It's called supply and demand. There is a supply, but very little demand. The attendance at professional women's soccer is NOTHING.

    Rich arab men own women's soccer and basketball in Europe. I know because Maya Moore's dad told me. For those that don't know, Maya Moore is the USA's best woman's basketball player. He said these guys have so much money that they bought/created these teams just to compete against other rich arabs who don't know what to do with their money.

    It's all a money laundering thing with the women's leagues. If you don't know, look at how the Colombian soccer teams were financed by Andres Escobar and all his drug money. How he could hide all his drug money in professional soccer "legally". Same thing is done
    with women's teams.

    There is no fan interest in this stuff.

    Women get paid exactly what they should, based on the demand of their product, which is pretty much minimal at best.

    Go USA !!!!! Bring home the trophy baby !!!!!!!!!

  • stevekstevek Posts: 22,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I would watch the women's soccer match, but I've meaning to clean and paint the garage for around the past ten years. So it's about time I go do it and get it done.

  • 1970s1970s Posts: 2,652 ✭✭✭✭

    @stevek said:
    I would watch the women's soccer match, but I've meaning to clean and paint the garage for around the past ten years. So it's about time I go do it and get it done.

    Dimeman said he'd help, and he already has the color scheme figured out for you. Heck of guy.

  • doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭

    @1970s said:

    @stevek said:
    I would watch the women's soccer match, but I've meaning to clean and paint the garage for around the past ten years. So it's about time I go do it and get it done.

    Dimeman said he'd help, and he already has the color scheme figured out for you. Heck of guy.

    Is that lawnmowerman's garage? I see the Cowboys logo, but I also see a lawnmower.

  • 1970s1970s Posts: 2,652 ✭✭✭✭

    @santinidollar said:
    Since members of the US team seem to be down in the mouth about their country, I suggest they forfeit the game and spare themselves any more embarrassment of representing the US.

    Two things:
    1. I am a proud American.
    2. I hope they get the hell besten out of them.

    One interesting thing: I never thought anything would be as boring as women’s basketball. Then along came women’s soccer. Shows you what I know.

    I find it funny that people think that the players on the women's soccer team are not proud to be an American. I can assure you that many on that team love their country the same way you do, and some love their country, but disagree with our sitting president. They still love it, just like you loved our country even when your "guy" wasn't in office.

  • stevekstevek Posts: 22,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @doubledragon said:

    @1970s said:

    @stevek said:
    I would watch the women's soccer match, but I've meaning to clean and paint the garage for around the past ten years. So it's about time I go do it and get it done.

    Dimeman said he'd help, and he already has the color scheme figured out for you. Heck of guy.

    Is that lawnmowerman's garage? I see the Cowboys logo, but I also see a lawnmower.

    Lawnmowerman can't afford a lawn mower. He cuts his customer's lawns with a little hand trimmer, one blade of grass at a time.

  • 1970s1970s Posts: 2,652 ✭✭✭✭

    @dallasactuary said:
    You beat me by 2. I would pay money to watch them play in a high school boy's playoff, though. I don't think enough people really understand that the best women's soccer team in the world would lose to any good HS boy's team, and if they witnessed it, maybe the whining about how they aren't paid as much as the men would mercifully stop. Ditto for women's tennis, by the way, but their whining worked, so there's probably no stopping the whining in soccer.

    Yes, FC Dallas 15 year old boys beat the women's team 5-2 last year, but it was just a scrimmage where I'm sure they weren't going all out.

    Let's also remember that the Dream Team lost a scrimmage to college kids before they went to Barcelona.

    Having said that, I would enjoy watching an all out battle between the best 17 year old boys in this country against our women's squad. I think it would be a draw, or the boys would win. Not sure though.

  • CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 8,119 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @stevek said:
    I would watch the women's soccer match, but I've meaning to clean and paint the garage for around the past ten years. So it's about time I go do it and get it done.

    ...and the couple hours of paint drying would be commercial free.

  • 1970s1970s Posts: 2,652 ✭✭✭✭

    @stevek said:

    @doubledragon said:

    @1970s said:

    @stevek said:
    I would watch the women's soccer match, but I've meaning to clean and paint the garage for around the past ten years. So it's about time I go do it and get it done.

    Dimeman said he'd help, and he already has the color scheme figured out for you. Heck of guy.

    Is that lawnmowerman's garage? I see the Cowboys logo, but I also see a lawnmower.

    Lawnmowerman can't afford a lawn mower. He cuts his customer's lawns with a little hand trimmer, one blade of grass at a time.

    Not what I heard. Apparently he tapes encapsulated Emmitt Smith cards on all five fingers and does an Edward Scissorshands on your lawn. For lawns over 5 acres, he does all ten fingers.

  • DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 19,343 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @1970s said:

    @stevek said:
    I would watch the women's soccer match, but I've meaning to clean and paint the garage for around the past ten years. So it's about time I go do it and get it done.

    Dimeman said he'd help, and he already has the color scheme figured out for you. Heck of guy.

    This would be a great scheme for Steve's garage!

    As far a soccer goes....no interest here at all....at any level.....boy's or girl's!


    All Dimes All Varieties

    Coins for sale

    Canadian Dimes Set


    Washington Quarters All Varieties 32-64


    >RIP -image Rebecca 2004-2018...If love could have saved you - you would have lived forever<
  • softparadesoftparade Posts: 8,255 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 7, 2019 7:48AM

    Soccer is a DEAD sport in this country post high school and that's not gonna change. No matter how many time the US does great in a World Cup.

  • MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭

    Megan Rapinoe "I'm not going to the fucXing white house"

    Pls move to Venezuela you ungrateful hag.

  • 1970s1970s Posts: 2,652 ✭✭✭✭

    @softparade said:
    Soccer is a DEAD sport in this country post high school and that's not gonna change. No matter how many time the US does great in a World Cup.

    Don't take the time to research soccer attendance in the United States then. Also don't research why so many huge European clubs tour the states in the summer to increase revenue. Don't research where the tv sponsor money is going in the US when it comes to football, soccer, and baseball.

  • CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 8,119 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @MCMLVTopps said:
    Megan Rapinoe "I'm not going to the fucXing white house"

    Pls move to Venezuela you ungrateful hag.

    The truculence is forgivable, The haircut, not so much.

  • coinpalicecoinpalice Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭✭

    she looks older then 34

  • stevekstevek Posts: 22,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @DIMEMAN said:

    @1970s said:

    @stevek said:
    I would watch the women's soccer match, but I've meaning to clean and paint the garage for around the past ten years. So it's about time I go do it and get it done.

    Dimeman said he'd help, and he already has the color scheme figured out for you. Heck of guy.

    This would be a great scheme for Steve's garage!

    Only if I was in need of multiple dart boards.

  • softparadesoftparade Posts: 8,255 ✭✭✭✭

    @1970s said:

    @softparade said:
    Soccer is a DEAD sport in this country post high school and that's not gonna change. No matter how many time the US does great in a World Cup.

    Don't take the time to research soccer attendance in the United States then. Also don't research why so many huge European clubs tour the states in the summer to increase revenue. Don't research where the tv sponsor money is going in the US when it comes to football, soccer, and baseball.

    OK, I won't

  • softparadesoftparade Posts: 8,255 ✭✭✭✭

    Go Netherlands!

  • BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I watched them sing the National Anthem before the game started. Every player that I saw was standing with their hand over their heart, most were singing. Only one player did not, the one with the purple hair.

    USA, USA, USA !!

  • 1970s1970s Posts: 2,652 ✭✭✭✭

    Yeah baby. Good job girls.

    Sad that some have to bring politics into this. It's all about the soccer, and
    we have the best girls on the planet !

    Politics can stay out of sports at all times, so we can just enjoy the game.

  • BaltimoreYankeeBaltimoreYankee Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭

    @Coinstartled said:
    Don't like soccer so that is a negative. Both sides wear Nike stuff so that is a negative. US team decided to get political so that is a negative. No protective netting for the fans so that is a negative. ;)

    Definitely don't watch it then. Save your time for something you will enjoy. Life is short (and so am I!)

    Daniel
  • BaltimoreYankeeBaltimoreYankee Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭

    @softparade said:
    Go Netherlands!

    Didi is that you?

    Daniel
  • doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭

    These ladies worked hard to achieve their dreams. Congratulations team USA.

  • CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 8,119 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @BaltimoreYankee said:

    @Coinstartled said:
    Don't like soccer so that is a negative. Both sides wear Nike stuff so that is a negative. US team decided to get political so that is a negative. No protective netting for the fans so that is a negative. ;)

    Definitely don't watch it then. Save your time for something you will enjoy. Life is short (and so am I!)

    Tuned it in just before the America hater hit the penalty shot. Turned it off and walked to the store to pick up a paper.

    If the opponent was ahead, I would have kept the game on.

  • keetskeets Posts: 21,175 ✭✭✭✭✭

    since I said it, I will correct it --- getting "paid" was definitely the wrong term, the Women don't get equal support from the US Federation, that what they are upset about, and rightfully so. also, if I am partly to blame for bringing in "Politics" then I apologize.

    I wish the Women's Team success, even if they end up losing. they have represented their Nation well and with Honor.


    --- George Carlin RIP, he'd have a lot of fresh material if he was alive today!!
  • keetskeets Posts: 21,175 ✭✭✭✭✭

    and now I see the Women have won a second consecutive World Cup --- on my Birthday!!! o:) thanks, ladies. I wonder how all the haters in this thread feel now??? :D


    --- George Carlin RIP, he'd have a lot of fresh material if he was alive today!!
  • CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 8,119 ✭✭✭✭✭

    No they haven't, Keets. The 13 or 14 to nil blowout with excessive celebration after each score was bush league.

    I have no issue with blowout games, but acting like dolts after the last 8 or so scores is not honorable.

  • 1970s1970s Posts: 2,652 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 7, 2019 11:27AM

    @Coinstartled said:

    Tuned it in just before the America hater hit the penalty shot. Turned it off and walked to the store to pick up a paper.

    >

    Look. I would like it better if Megan Rapinoe would respect our flag, and sing the national anthem, and respect those who think differently than her, but not only did she follow the governing rules of the soccer federation, but she also played a great tournament.

    She was given a choice to either kneel and get kicked off the team, or stand and play.
    She chose soccer over politics, and stood for the anthem.

    She's ok in my book. Because politics should stay out of the game. On the field, and in
    the locker room. She followed the rules given to her, because she chose to love soccer more
    than love her politics.

  • DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 19,343 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Don't give a rat's a$$ about soccer or Megan Rapinoe for obvious reasons, but I'm always glad when the USA wins!


    All Dimes All Varieties

    Coins for sale

    Canadian Dimes Set


    Washington Quarters All Varieties 32-64


    >RIP -image Rebecca 2004-2018...If love could have saved you - you would have lived forever<
  • BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @DIMEMAN said:
    Don't give a rat's a$$ about soccer or Megan Rapinoe for obvious reasons, but I'm always glad when the USA wins!

    And that's what it's all about.... :)

  • BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @keets said:
    and now I see the Women have won a second consecutive World Cup --- on my Birthday!!! o:) thanks, ladies. I wonder how all the haters in this thread feel now??? :D

    Happy BIRTHDAY KEETS !!!

  • DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 19,343 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @Bullsitter said:

    @DIMEMAN said:
    Don't give a rat's a$$ about soccer or Megan Rapinoe for obvious reasons, but I'm always glad when the USA wins!

    And that's what it's all about.... :)

    Yep... :)


    All Dimes All Varieties

    Coins for sale

    Canadian Dimes Set


    Washington Quarters All Varieties 32-64


    >RIP -image Rebecca 2004-2018...If love could have saved you - you would have lived forever<
  • breakdownbreakdown Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭
    edited July 7, 2019 12:13PM

    I think it was a great accomplishment for the US women's team - competition is definitely getting better and the level of play has improved and they played with a bullseye on their backs. Other countries didn't like them and as can be seen from this thread, many Americans didn't support them. I am no soccer fan but I can appreciate athletic talent and women's soccer is one sport we still hold global preeminence in. Not that many others -- maybe basketball. Don't say American football - rest of world doesn't care about it.

    I read the close-minded opinions of people here and hope, if they have daughters, they are at least encouraging them to accomplish something great like our soccer players did.

    "It's a beautiful world.
    So hold me tight. I had to fight
    Every day of my life. It's a beautiful world."
    Mudcrutch.
  • santinidollarsantinidollar Posts: 400 ✭✭✭✭

    If my daughter had chosen soccer, I would have backed her 100 percent.

    Although she’s not a soccer player, I did teach her about class, which is something the parents of the USA team apparently either failed at or didn’t bother with.

  • BaltimoreYankeeBaltimoreYankee Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭

    @Coinstartled said:

    @BaltimoreYankee said:

    @Coinstartled said:
    Don't like soccer so that is a negative. Both sides wear Nike stuff so that is a negative. US team decided to get political so that is a negative. No protective netting for the fans so that is a negative. ;)

    Definitely don't watch it then. Save your time for something you will enjoy. Life is short (and so am I!)

    Tuned it in just before the America hater hit the penalty shot. Turned it off and walked to the store to pick up a paper.

    If the opponent was ahead, I would have kept the game on.

    I don't think Megan Rapinoe hates America. I do I think she has an issue with our wonderful commander in chief. However, if she comes out (see what I did there?) and says "I hate America", I will believe her.

    Daniel
  • softparadesoftparade Posts: 8,255 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 7, 2019 12:50PM

    lol why is it always “close minded people” when criticism is aimed at those who bite the hands that feeds them. God Bless America!

  • 1970s1970s Posts: 2,652 ✭✭✭✭

    Megan is a homosexual liberal. We all know that. I have a homosexual liberal girl "friend" that hates Rapinoe. Even she says Rapinoe should keep that $hit off the field.

    I'm not liberal, but I don't want to see Tom Brady with a MAGA hat on the sidelines either.

    Keep the politics far away from the field.

  • softparadesoftparade Posts: 8,255 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 7, 2019 12:57PM

    Megan is a homosexual liberal. We all know that. I have a homosexual liberal girl "friend" that hates Rapinoe. Even she says Rapinoe should keep that $hit off the field.

    I'm not liberal, but I don't want to see Tom Brady with a MAGA hat on the sidelines either.

    Keep the politics far away from the field.

    None of this would be a story of this jackass didn’t use the words F#%*ing and White House back to back.

  • 1970s1970s Posts: 2,652 ✭✭✭✭

    @softparade said:

    Megan is a homosexual liberal. We all know that. I have a homosexual liberal girl "friend" that hates Rapinoe. Even she says Rapinoe should keep that $hit off the field.

    I'm not liberal, but I don't want to see Tom Brady with a MAGA hat on the sidelines either.

    Keep the politics far away from the field.

    None of this would be a story of this jackass didn’t use the words F#%*ing and White House back to back.

    I'm sure every President who ever served (even Abe Lincoln) used the term F'in White House at least once during their term, maybe even twice.

  • 1970s1970s Posts: 2,652 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 7, 2019 2:40PM

    BTW, happy birthday keets,

  • doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭

    No presidential discussion is complete without an appearance from slick Willie.

  • softparadesoftparade Posts: 8,255 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 7, 2019 5:13PM

    @1970s said:

    @softparade said:

    Megan is a homosexual liberal. We all know that. I have a homosexual liberal girl "friend" that hates Rapinoe. Even she says Rapinoe should keep that $hit off the field.

    I'm not liberal, but I don't want to see Tom Brady with a MAGA hat on the sidelines either.

    Keep the politics far away from the field.

    None of this would be a story of this jackass didn’t use the words F#%*ing and White House back to back.

    I'm sure every President who ever served (even Abe Lincoln) used the term F'in White House at least once during their term, maybe even twice.

    To a mic? Although Abe would have had to have it dictated.

    Yeah OK buddy. You are just on another think level lol

  • keetskeets Posts: 21,175 ✭✭✭✭✭

    "Misogynist" has nothing to do with it, but 100 woke points to you for using the word.

    hey genius, go reread my post, it has everything to do with how the Team of Women reacted to our President. your Minor League/Major League argument is pretty pathetic, too. you don't like Soccer, I get that because neither do I. but consider how Dimeman summed it up: it's always good when the USA wins. how is lost on you guys?? while we're at it, how do the men generate more "income" for the Federation than the Women?? the Women actually finish either 1st, 2nd or 3rd EVERY FREAKIN' TOURNAMENT while the Men play 1-2 games and go home.

    these Tournaments, just like the Olympics, are pretty much about individual accomplishment and National Pride. the Federation needs to pay attention to what the Women are doing and figure out how to replicate that in the Men's program.


    --- George Carlin RIP, he'd have a lot of fresh material if he was alive today!!
  • keetskeets Posts: 21,175 ✭✭✭✭✭

    thanks for the kind thoughts, guys!! o:)


    --- George Carlin RIP, he'd have a lot of fresh material if he was alive today!!
  • thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I do not want to comment on some of the issues being debated in this thread, but rather comment on something I find very interesting regarding the potential reason for the women's success versus the men's lack of success.

    I love sports, and because of that I enjoy soaking in the talk even when it's about a sport I don't follow, I have heard and read lots of discussions over the years about this disparity of success, and it seems there is one overwhelming factor which mitigates the men's success and drives the women's success. And that is the difference in opportunities which exist at a professional level for the most elite athletes as they are forced to decide to focus on soccer versus other sports. And this starts at an early age. So by the time they become professionals, the men's team which our country assembles is just not able to compete internationally.

    This is evidenced further by the success of the women's team. If the best female American athletes weren't encouraged to stick with soccer but were instead steered towards a different sport at a young age, would this world-dominant American women's program have ever been built?

    Again, these are not my points, just what I have absorbed over the years.

  • DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 19,343 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 7, 2019 6:37PM

    @thisistheshow said:
    I do not want to comment on some of the issues being debated in this thread, but rather comment on something I find very interesting regarding the potential reason for the women's success versus the men's lack of success.

    I love sports, and because of that I enjoy soaking in the talk even when it's about a sport I don't follow, I have heard and read lots of discussions over the years about this disparity of success, and it seems there is one overwhelming factor which mitigates the men's success and drives the women's success. And that is the difference in opportunities which exist at a professional level for the most elite athletes as they are forced to decide to focus on soccer versus other sports. And this starts at an early age. So by the time they become professionals, the men's team which our country assembles is just not able to compete internationally.

    This is evidenced further by the success of the women's team. If the best female American athletes weren't encouraged to stick with soccer but were instead steered towards a different sport at a young age, would this world-dominant American women's program have ever been built?

    Again, these are not my points, just what I have absorbed over the years.

    This makes sense.


    All Dimes All Varieties

    Coins for sale

    Canadian Dimes Set


    Washington Quarters All Varieties 32-64


    >RIP -image Rebecca 2004-2018...If love could have saved you - you would have lived forever<
Sign In or Register to comment.