Home U.S. Coin Forum

1984-D Lincoln Cent: Is this machine doubling?

I see double numbers on the date and doubled B on 'Liberty'. Is this some kind of machine doubling or the real deal DDO?

Best Answer

• dcarrdcarr Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

That is die erosion doubling where repeated strikes wear the die causing apparent doubling in a radial direction from the center of the coin. Think of it as a type of metal flow with "waves" or "echoes".

Answers

• OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes it is die deterioration/die erosion doubling, not machine doubling or DDO

Member of the ANA since 1982
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree with die deterioration.... It was my first thought when I saw the pictures... Good specimen to keep for educational purposes. Cheers, RickO

• MiBellitaMiBellita Posts: 45 ✭✭

Thanks everyone! I just found another one with the same type of effect but different year. In fact, I'm pretty sure there's more than just those two in this most recent batch that I've been going through but also from different years.. and almost all of them are at least semi-key dates and quite a few are in really great shape! Just seemed very odd to find so many in the same group like that! This is by far the most intriguing bunch I've come across!

• MiBellitaMiBellita Posts: 45 ✭✭

@ricko said:
    I agree with die deterioration.... It was my first thought when I saw the pictures... Good specimen to keep for educational purposes. Cheers, RickO

Already have a special spot for this one in my little book of interesting finds! 😄

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file