Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Pwcc doesn’t seem to be hurting

Just scanned through some of the closed auctions.... it doesn’t look like they hurting, still getting strong prices

Comments

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,516 ✭✭✭✭✭

Orioles93 is right. A lot of collectors are probably in the dark about the scandal. A lot of them probably don't pay attention to the forums either.

• pab1969pab1969 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭✭✭

I tried to snipe 4 auctions. I figured, just maybe the prices would be lower due to the scandal. Nope, still lost out.

• saucywombatsaucywombat Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭

Do you think the New York Times article today will help?

While pointing out the problem it was also suggesting that the reality is that the hobby may be willing or has accepted alteration of cards (drawing comparisons with the art world where restoration is an accepted practice)

It is inviting the question of what level of alteration may be acceptable in the card collecting world, as some level of alteration is accepted in other forms of collecting.

But it does draw the bright line distinction that as of now the widely held expectation for top prices would include "no alteration"

Always looking for 1993-1999 Baseball Finest Refractors and1994 Football Finest Refractors.
    saucywombat@hotmail.com
  • prgsdwprgsdw Posts: 503 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 14, 2019 1:22PM

I sure hope so.

I take no solace in the fact that 95% of people don't know that they are walking through a mine field. This issue cuts across non-sports, all sports, all eras, all grades. Having undetected alteration foisted upon a collector isn't a choice to be accepted. PSA and grading companies have long standing standards that I don't feel should change just because a major consignment company thinks they should...

Steve

• PROMETHIUS88PROMETHIUS88 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CrissCriss said:
    Once again......when the National
    rolls around in a few weeks, the lines at PSA will be long, money will be flowing heavily in the room, people will be bidding freely and KendallCat will still be ducking having a friendly drink with The Crisser.

95% of the people buying cards don’t know or care.

Do they even let The Crisser in the VIP lounge??

Promethius881969@yahoo.com
  • 70ToppsFanatic70ToppsFanatic Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭✭

@prgsdw said:
    I sure hope so.

I take no solace in the fact that 95% of people don't know that they are walking through a mine field. This issue cuts across non-sports, all sports, all eras, all grades. Having undetected alteration foisted upon a collector isn't a choice to be accepted. PSA and grading companies have long standing standards that I don't feel should change just because a major consignment company thinks they should...

Steve

+100

Dave
  • ArtVandelayArtVandelay Posts: 645 ✭✭✭✭

It's pretty simple. The vast majority of collectors are opportunists and capitalists. If they see value they will buy regardless of the source. One of the largest problems in society today is the fact that governments down to the individual person will generally always choose the option that makes them the most profits regardless of whether it is right or wrong. Even in the case of the religious person with devout beliefs these beliefs seem to always be superseded by Capitalism.

It's this reason alone I know PWCC will continue to thrive even though they have been proven of wrongdoing and should see jail time.

• HighGradeLegendsHighGradeLegends Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭✭

@vols1 said:
    It helps to bid on your own card...

HA!

@orioles93 said:
    A large majority of collectors probably don't even know anything happened.

This

• krisd3279krisd3279 Posts: 808 ✭✭✭✭

@HighGradeLegends said:

@orioles93 said:

This

+1

Kris

My 1971 Topps adventure - Davis Men in Black

• 60sfan60sfan Posts: 311 ✭✭✭

@ArtVandelay said:
    It's pretty simple. The vast majority of collectors are opportunists and capitalists. If they see value they will buy regardless of the source. One of the largest problems in society today is the fact that governments down to the individual person will generally always choose the option that makes them the most profits regardless of whether it is right or wrong. Even in the case of the religious person with devout beliefs these beliefs seem to always be superseded by Capitalism.

It's this reason alone I know PWCC will continue to thrive even though they have been proven of wrongdoing and should see jail time.

What about Moser and the TPG's?

• Give it six months. pwcc is sitting on a lot of inventory at the moment.

• mccardguy1mccardguy1 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭

@pab1969 said:
    I tried to snipe 4 auctions. I figured, just maybe the prices would be lower due to the scandal. Nope, still lost out.

Hence the issue.

The only way to for change is to affect their wallet. You cannot put a dent in their wallet if you are still bidding on their items, no matter the lower prices or not. As collectors we have to learn to say "no more" so that we can affect change. The only way we can say no more is to not participate in their business. Less collectors bidding means lowered realized prices and diminished returns for the auction house. Lets get back to selling to one another for a fair price. Use the boards on here and other places to sell. If we really want to effect change we MUST actually do something.

I am on a budget and I am not afraid to use it!!

@orioles93 said:

That's because PWCC and PSA did not put the statements they released on their websites or on their twitter accounts.

• AFLfanAFLfan Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is ridiculous. There are plenty of sources from which people could learn about the current situation.

Todd Tobias - Grateful Collector - I focus on autographed American Football League sets, Fleer & Topps, 1960-1969, and lacrosse cards.
  • shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,562 ✭✭✭✭

@60sfan said:

@orioles93 said:

That's because PWCC and PSA did not put the statements they released on their websites or on their twitter accounts.

Precisely. An email blast would have been nice, but so far the issue has only been addressed with the collectors who already knew about it. Those who don’t are in the majority.

"My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • orioles93orioles93 Posts: 3,463 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe this is just my opinion but I’d say majority of collectors don’t even know this message board exists, or even use PSA other than buying cards that are already graded. I know plenty of collectors just local to me that don’t use any online websites like this, and the only thing they do online is buy the occasional card on eBay. For the most part they go to local shows and markets and card shops and that’s it. I’m sure there are plenty just like them that would have no way of hearing about this, even if emails were sent and things were posted on Twitter and message boards.

What I Collect:

PSA HOF Baseball Postwar Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 77.97% Complete)

PSA Pro Football HOF Rookie Players Set Registry- (Currently 19.26% Complete)

PSA Basketball HOF Players Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 6.02% Complete)
  • Time4aGansettTime4aGansett Posts: 382 ✭✭✭

Let's see how PWCC handles themselves at the National. I'm sure the minority of collectors in the know will be sure to educate the majority of those not in the know.

@Time4aGansett said:
    Let's see how PWCC handles themselves at the National. I'm sure the minority of collectors in the know will be sure to educate the majority of those not in the know.

This.

I won't be at the national, but I hope someone from this forum posts all about the reaction

• shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,562 ✭✭✭✭

Where is the Natty this year?

"My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."

Can anyone confirm there is actually an agency investigation ongoing? Lots of speculation it is, but haven't seen proof.

• AFLfanAFLfan Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭✭✭

@shagrotn77 said:
    Where is the Natty this year?

Chicago

Todd Tobias - Grateful Collector - I focus on autographed American Football League sets, Fleer & Topps, 1960-1969, and lacrosse cards.
  • RookieHOFersRookieHOFers Posts: 733 ✭✭✭

@CrissCriss said:
    The Crisser’s VIP Lounge is the bar at Gibson’s. 😉

Up for buying me a cold one?

Matt
    I collect: 80’s Rookies and 86 Fleer Basketball
  • RookieHOFersRookieHOFers Posts: 733 ✭✭✭

Super Strong price on a 69 Topps Alcindor PSA 8 last night. $11,500!

Take that for what its worth.

Matt
    I collect: 80’s Rookies and 86 Fleer Basketball
  • @Time4aGansett said:
    Can anyone confirm there is actually an agency investigation ongoing? Lots of speculation it is, but haven't seen proof.

The DOJ, as a standing policy, does not confirm active investigations into alleged crimes- for numerous reasons. State authorities tend to operate the same way. So unless someone being investigated says so publicly, you probably wont know unless/until their are charges.

I actively collect Kirby Puckett. I have collections of Michael Jordan, Emmitt Smith, Roberto Clemente, Dwight Gooden, Tom Seaver, Errict Rhett and Evan Longoria.

• lawyer05lawyer05 Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭✭

@CrissCriss said:
    Once again......when the National
    rolls around in a few weeks, the lines at PSA will be long, money will be flowing heavily in the room, people will be bidding freely and KendallCat will still be ducking having a friendly drink with The Crisser.

95% of the people buying cards don’t know or care.

say hi to Kendall Cat

@Jimmy_Commonpants said:

@Time4aGansett said:

The DOJ, as a standing policy, does not confirm active investigations into alleged crimes- for numerous reasons. State authorities tend to operate the same way. So unless someone being investigated says so publicly, you probably wont know unless/until their are charges.

Thanks for the info. Let's hope an investigation is forthcoming.

• kencopekencope Posts: 416 ✭✭
    edited June 20, 2019 7:50PM

Comment deleted - disregard

Over $5.3 million with 9 days to go …………. it will be interesting to see if there's an increase or drop off in consignments for Auction #7.

• brad31brad31 Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭✭✭

Am sure PWCC is not hurting but they have lost at least one customer (me). Looking at my purchases in the last year I spent about $2K with them so am a very small fish - but I was probably underbidder on at least a dozen more auctions so my bite is slightly higher than their commission on my purchases. Still meaningless to them. It would take a significant percentage of customers to be turned off before it has any effect.

The only thing that could hurt them are large refunds to customers if they reimburse instead of PSA.

• jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,508 ✭✭✭✭

I still have not ever been to a big show anywhere.
    Not even to some nearby me like White Plains or NJ.
    Eventually I would like to attend and meet many of the people in person who over the past years
    have helped make this hobby more enjoyable

Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • 81 Topps Guy81 Topps Guy Posts: 228 ✭✭✭

PWCC racking up some incredible numbers on their 1970 FB set break. No, not hurting

• demondeacsdemondeacs Posts: 113 ✭✭✭

2200 for an 84 Curt Warner? Sheesh.

• prgsdwprgsdw Posts: 503 ✭✭✭✭

They had a 1970 Renfro PSA 10 that I could have used to upgrade my set, but I did not bid. I don't feel bad about it.

Steve

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,516 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 24, 2019 3:32AM

Yawn. I'm going to go finish watching a documentary about the Loch Ness Monster.