Home U.S. Coin Forum

1943 Steel Cent- Is this worth sending in to be graded?

MiBellitaMiBellita Posts: 45 ✭✭
edited June 19, 2019 8:41AM in U.S. Coin Forum

My friend showed this to me the other day and it appears to be in good condition but she doesn't know whether it'll be worth it to send it off to be graded. What do you think?

Best Answer

Answers

• FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,714 ✭✭✭✭✭

1943, not 1942.

And, it's been plated to protect it from
    rust. Not worth certifying whatsoever.

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 19, 2019 8:42AM

The black/grey-tone pics does not help.

42 or 43?

Grade of 67 or higher is needed to be worth the fees.

• MiBellitaMiBellita Posts: 45 ✭✭

Haha whoops that was not typed right

Thanks again guys! I'll let her know!

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice coin for an album... not worth the investment to slab.... Cheers, RickO

• drei3reedrei3ree Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭✭

Cleaned and definitely not worth it.

@drei3ree said:
    Cleaned and definitely not worth it.

Just out of curiosity, how do you tell if a coin has been cleaned? I'm always down to learn more! 😄

• AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,515 ✭✭✭✭✭

Steel cents were horrible when exposed to moisture. They rusted. Many, many cents were "reprocessed" or "replated" long after they left the mint. Yours is one of these. As Fred said it protected the coin from further damage. Common but cool at the same time.

bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com

@AUandAG said:
    Steel cents were horrible when exposed to moisture. They rusted. Many, many cents were "reprocessed" or "replated" long after they left the mint. Yours is one of these. As Fred said it protected the coin from further damage. Common but cool at the same time.

bob :)

Nice! I was wondering why it was so good looking and all the ones I had were horribly rusted 😅 Thank you!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file