edited June 18, 2019 11:40AM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

Saving photos for future reference:

Comments

• Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,870 ✭✭✭✭✭

My high bid was 4200

Was blown out of the water

I think only 3 -4 minted

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭

Do you think they knew what they had or got blindsided by the bidding?

• Options

@Stork said:

I don’t think they knew what they had.

• Options
    WorldCoinsDmitryWorldCoinsDmitry Posts: 367 ✭✭✭
    edited June 18, 2019 6:33AM

Saw it at $1,250 minutes before the end, said to myself "this is going to be entertaining with the snipes". I agree the seller was surprised by the result, or they would have had it cert/graded had they known.

Looked in Resplandores, says 3 known with one example being EF with light obverse scratches. I wonder if this is the same coin rather than a fresh example.

Highly enthusiastic about world coins, contemporary circulating counterfeits and unusual stuff <3

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,541 ✭✭✭✭✭

Resplandores also mentions 1 known die pair for the SA assayer. If I'm not mistaken, the obverse die does not match the image on Resplandores.

• Options
    WorldCoinsDmitryWorldCoinsDmitry Posts: 367 ✭✭✭

@TwoKopeiki said:
    Resplandores also mentions 1 known die pair for the SA assayer. If I'm not mistaken, the obverse die does not match the image on Resplandores.

Didn't even notice that, very interesting. Actually looks like neither side matches the plate coin.

Highly enthusiastic about world coins, contemporary circulating counterfeits and unusual stuff <3

• Options
    mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone think this might be a fake? Besides morgans, seems like 8 reales are faked a lot and some are very convincing that even NGC/PCGS have slabbed fake ones.

Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • Options
    YorkshiremanYorkshireman Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭✭✭

It would be interesting to hear what Mike Dunigan would say about this.

Yorkshireman,Obsessed collector of round, metallic pieces of history.Hunting for Latin American colonial portraits plus cool US & British coins.
  • Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 18, 2019 11:15AM

Why wasn't the reverse posted? I cannot believe 16K taking the chance the reverse was as nice as the obverse.

Stupid question, LOL. The image above was not a link. I'm going to leave this original post as is to give you guys a good laugh!

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,541 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Insider2 said:
    Why wasn't the reverse posted? I cannot believe 16K taking the chance the reverse was as nice as the obverse.

Stupid question, LOL. The image above was not a link. I'm going to leave this original post as is to give you guys a good laugh!

Thanks for the chuckle. I updated the original post to add the photos for our archives.

• Options

I'm not saying anything new here. There are a VEY LARGE NUMBER of counterfeit 8 Rls out there. Many are on the market as genuine.

The way I was taught to authenticate them in the 1970's no longer works much of the time but I'm not going to post it here. It should be obvious to most advanced collectors and it is mentioned in "Counterfeit Portrait Eight Reales the Un-real Reales." Professional authenticators have a long way to go in order to get close to the ability of the advanced collector/dealer.

From what I've seen, it is eventually going to take an analysis of the alloy to catch many more of the deceptive fakes at this time.

• Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,332 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 18, 2019 12:37PM

This used to be considered a pattern in the old catalogs.

I doubt it’s a fake.

How much do you want to bet it’ll be in a Heritage auction in a few months?

• Options

Too bad we cannot see the edge.

• Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,332 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bidask said:

@Stork said:

What makes you think that? It’s fully catalogued in Krause, which every coin dealer has.

• Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭

I always assumed (that word! :wink: ) they were a pawn shop type place and/or took consignments. Still seems like they would at least check Krause though.

• Options

@TwoKopeiki said:

@Insider2 said:

Thanks for the chuckle. I updated the original post to add the photos for our archives.

I was concerned a little if the coin could grade...without details. That's why i limited what i would pay for the coin.

The sellers also offered a 30 day unconditional return privilage and guaranteed authenticity so i was not concerned
    about that !

Anyway it is nice to see that there are still strong buyers for the cap & ray 8 reales series !

@pruebas said:

@bidask said:

@Stork said:

What makes you think that? It’s fully catalogued in Krause, which every coin dealer has.

They did not mention its rarity.

• Options
    dizzleccdizzlecc Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭

Wow, a little crazy this would go up in ebay, but it didn't go undetected. Interesting to see if it will surface again from a dealer or if it indeed went to a diligent collector.

• Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,955 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is amazingly cool! Looks obviously real too, although I'm hardly an expert on the series.

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    axelrichaxelrich Posts: 43 ✭✭

Quite a fine piece it is..