Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Expensive '44-D Mercury

batumibatumi Posts: 798 ✭✭✭✭

I saw a MS 68FB with a CAC endorsement sold for over 24K last night at a GC auction. The highest previous price according to 'Coin Facts' prior was just over 5K for a MS 68+. I also noticed Hansen already has a MS68+, so apparently at least two others must be in the running for registry sets, Supermoon money imo for a coin that can be obtained for under $200 in a nice MS-67 FB grade. Could this be what Greenspan meant by 'irrational exuberance? Anyway, congrats to all the parties involved!

Comments

• Options
    Moxie15Moxie15 Posts: 318 ✭✭✭

I could say much about this, but what purpose would it serve?

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

If one has $24K just lying around with no apparent use, why not spend it on a dime?? ;) Cheers, RickO

• Options
    ShadyDaveShadyDave Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    cupronikcupronik Posts: 773 ✭✭✭

It's all in the pursuit of (near) perfection.

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 18, 2019 9:20AM

its not in the pops as of 10am est 6-17-19 as a ms68(+).

now it makes a lil more sense to me as the top-pop for the price realized. as an ms68, it would share the top pop place with over a dozen others, resubmits notwithstanding and not justify such a price, imo.

fwiw, i see that CF has a previous ms68 44-s sold for 11.7k.

edited.

well i see my post is moot now. coulda swore the OP stated 44-s. i will move along. ;)

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,615 ✭✭✭✭✭

After seeing your post, I wondered if there was a color toning premium involved, but after viewing the link - Nope!

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options

@ShadyDave said:
    https://www.greatcollections.com/Coin/671502/1944-D-Mercury-Dime-PCGS-MS-68-FB-CAC

This may be the coin in question.That is the coin, ShadyDave. Thanks!

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looking at this coin I wonder if they think it is the the 501 D/D? Looks like something is there, but the position to the leaf is wrong. And even if it is the 501 that would still be moon money to me. :)

• Options

@DIMEMAN said:
    That's heap big money for a common date Mercury! If you threw this in with a bunch of nice 67's..........I would dare you to pick it out! B)

Dimeman: I agree, and with likely a few unsearched rolls of these common Meruries likely stashed away, I would put the 25K toward a nice MS-65 1916-D, and buy a nice MS 67 common. Jmho!

• Options

It's actually a 27K coin after juice. Just to compare here is the 68+ and my 66. First coin is the 68+. Mine is second.

• Options

@batumi said:

@DIMEMAN said:
    That's heap big money for a common date Mercury! If you threw this in with a bunch of nice 67's..........I would dare you to pick it out! B)

Dimeman: I agree, and with likely a few unsearched rolls of these common Meruries likely stashed away, I would put the 25K toward a nice MS-65 1916-D, and buy a nice MS 67 common. Jmho!

Me too!

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,737 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’ve been working on a 20th Century type set for the last several years. I’ve been known to spend way too much on condition rarities, but I’ve lost much of my enthusiasm for top pop coins. When 90% of the coin’s value comes from the label & stickers I get a little nervous. I did acquire a Merc in PCGS MS68+ FB CAC, but it’s the far more common and enormously less expensive 1939. Good enough for me and with Hansen around, my set would never be at the top anyhow.

I’m happy for the new owner & consignor. It is indeed a fabulous coin. Prices like this lend some support to the value of other high-grade examples.

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,711 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm sorry, but I can't help but to think of the nice bust dollar or southern gold that could be had for that price... :#

• Options
    ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,425 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    If one has $24K just lying around with no apparent use, why not spend it on a dime?? ;) Cheers, RickO

For that kind of money, you can do a first class trip to Antarctica, a once in a lifetime experience.

"Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Elcontador ...I agree... I was being facetious... ;) Cheers, RickO

• Options
    ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,425 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ricko - I understood your facetiousness. I really don't get the whole registry set thing; this is an example of the registry set phenomenon on steroids. I personally do not think this is a good thing, but to each, his own.

"Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • Options
    AotearoaAotearoa Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭✭✭

@asheland said:
    I'm sorry, but I can't help but to think of the nice bust dollar or southern gold that could be had for that price... :#

Chain Cent is what always pops into my mind at times like this...

Smitten with DBLCs.

• Options
    mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 5,980 ✭✭✭✭✭

The center bands don't even appear to be all that sharply separated. Crack it out of its holder and one would be lucky to get $50 for it at the B&M.

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,059 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 17, 2019 8:02PM

@mr1874 said:
    The center bands don't even appear to be all that sharply separated. Crack it out of its holder and one would be lucky to get $50 for it at the B&M.

I don’t see what a B&M might pay for an uncertified coin, as having anything to do with its value.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options

I don’t see what a B&M might pay for an uncertified coin, as having anything to do with its value.

The value in this case comes from the magic number on its holder, certainly not from the merits of the coin itself. Those center bands appearing to be not very well separated is my main observation
    here.

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• Options
    skier07skier07 Posts: 3,707 ✭✭✭✭✭

There must be hundreds if not thousands of unsearched rolls. Between coins not yet submitted and gradeflation I’d be very nervous spending $24k on this coin.

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,342 ✭✭✭✭✭

Remember that to some people $24k is not a lot of money. Us mere mortals can't play one that field.

Collector, occasional seller

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,059 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mr1874 said:

The value in this case comes from the magic number on its holder, certainly not from the merits of the coin itself. Those center bands appearing to be not very well separated is my main observation
    here.

I wouldn't make such judgments without seeing the coin in hand. Regardless, I don't think that the offering price by a B&M for an ungraded coin is necessarily a relevant measure of its value.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options

I wouldn't make such judgments without seeing the coin in hand. Regardless, I don't think that the offering price by a B&M for an ungraded coin is necessarily a relevant measure of its value.

I can agree with you to the extent that a judgement about the band separation would be best done with the coin in hand. It's just that for MS 68 for a coin with a coin of mintage of over 62M pieces the center band separation should be razor sharp, in my opinion. Not seeing that in the image.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file