Home U.S. Coin Forum

Classic Head $5..... what do you think?

She’s a little dirty...

Comments

• jonrunsjonruns Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭✭✭

I really like the Classic Head design!!!

• PQueuePQueue Posts: 901 ✭✭✭

Pass...

• matt_dacmatt_dac Posts: 959 ✭✭✭✭✭

I love the series (mine is my avatar). This one looks a bit beat up but maybe camera flash or such.

• IndulgerIndulger Posts: 139 ✭✭✭

My photo skills do need work and doesn’t show the coin for what it is. It’s in a EF-40 holder. These are the sellers pics:

@BillJones
    Yes, there are some nice 34’s and 36’s. I have those and a 37. This was also somewhat of an impulse buy with ebucks available and it fits in well with the others! Yours is a great looking 38, nice and even surfaces with that smooth AU look. The high point wear does look more 55 to me also. Congratulations on the D and C...!

• ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

Don't overpay too much and wait for a little better one if you can afford the time :)

• thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is not a nice example.

@Paradisefound said:
    Don't overpay too much and wait for a little better one if you can afford the time :)

Absolutely. I will cycle out the ones that I don’t like as much eventually for better examples. I’m new to the series and have to find out what works. I did this twice with my Indian 10 set...working on the second set now!

• ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wise approach to your new hobby ...... happy hunting and welcome again :)

@Paradisefound said:
    Wise approach to your new hobby ...... happy hunting and welcome again :)

Thanks!

• USMarine6USMarine6 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe it's just me but there seems to be a lot of detail on that coin for an xf40

• skier07skier07 Posts: 3,649 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Classic Head design is one of my favorites. I probably would have passed on your coin. IMHO the eye appeal is lacking and the surfaces have too many abrasions. Take your time buying coins and try to avoid being compulsive.

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,427 ✭✭✭✭✭

@USMarine6 said:
    Maybe it's just me but there seems to be a lot of detail on that coin for an xf40

It's got a lot of detail for the EF-40 grade, but it's net graded down for other issues.

It may have been one of these coins that got jingled around in a bag to "sweat" gold from its surfice. The game was to place a group of gold coins in a leather bag, jingle them for a period of time, cut the bag open and gather the small gold fragments that came off the coins. The coins could be passed at face value because their weight would not be off by much and the crook would have some gold. I imagine that you had to do this quite a number of times to get much of value, but perhaps people had time on the hands in the 19th century. There was no no Internet, TV or radio to distract you.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?

@USMarine6 said:

I’m thinking it was net graded somewhat for the “look” and the mark on liberty’s face. Has a nice cameo.... At least it’s not one of the many scrubbed and over dipped versions sitting in a TPG holder......JMHO

• thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Indulger This is not a series I know anything about but I have enjoyed the ones you have posted. The images seem to show an amount of distracting marks and surface hairlines that it looks like a bad example to me. How does it look to you? I don't have much to compare it to.

• MFeldMFeld Posts: 11,921 ✭✭✭✭✭

Regardless of the (or any other) assigned grade for the coin, the marks on the face kill it for me. But what counts is whether you like it.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

@thisistheshow
    Thanks for the input! I’m going to try and take better pics to (hopefully)show what it looks like in hand. However, it is the lowest grade coin of my set so far. Will post those pics soon

@MFeld
    Well said sir. I think it comes down to that for all our coins. I have many others that probably would receive the same assessment from the forum, yet they are coins that I enjoy. Thanks!

Different obverse pic

• dcarrdcarr Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think it is a pretty nice coin. It seems like folks here are unduly harsh on it (although I admit that the pictures show it in a harsh light). I would bet that it looks fairly attractive in hand.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Old gold, that has seen either commerce or bag time.... sure, it appears to have a lot of 'chatter'...but gold is soft and quickly picks up surface abrasions. Enjoy your coin... Cheers, RickO

• ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice addition!

• Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BryceM said:
    Looks like a nice circulated coin. I think the photo technique is over-emphasizing the circulation marks and that it probably has a nice, even look in-hand.

Yes a nice, even, beat up surface.

@Indulger said:

@Paradisefound said:

Absolutely. I will cycle out the ones that I don’t like as much eventually for better examples. I’m new to the series and have to find out what works. I did this twice with my Indian 10 set...working on the second set now!

Most collectors do this. Even the ones going for the title "Greatest Collector Ever." Buy a coin and upgrade later. Unfortunately, each time you do that costs money unless the timing and the market conditions are perfect and in your favor.

PS I hate it when folks stick coins into a thread besides the one that is posted by the OP. In this case, both are very baggy. These would have been described as "EXCESSIVE BAGMARKS" to ID them for internal records.

BTW, a very baggy coin can still be attractive when all the marks are basically uniform in nature and not too severe.

• OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

I really like the small letters on the reverse of the classic head and early coronet half eagles

Member of the ANA since 1982
  • SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not too bad for a 40. As it is pre Civil War gold I have to like it.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file