Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

W Mariana Quarter Find Thread

2»

Comments

• Options
    kbbpllkbbpll Posts: 542 ✭✭✭✭

Eh, it just seems hokey. One was first. The other one wasn't.

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,217 ✭✭✭✭✭

@kbbpll said:
    "First Discovery 1 of 2" - am I the only one who sees something, uh, you know... what's the word...

It's like a "tie" where there are two that win first place. LOL

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 10, 2019 7:56AM

Total: 392

Early find days left: 22

• Options

Early find ends: 24 May

Early find ends: 1 Jun

• Options

Not much changed since the 12 May pop post.

Lowell’s went up a few.
    Total slabbed: 0.15% (less then 1%)

American Memorial no change.
    Total slabbed: 0.02% (a lot less than 1%)

Expanded to show the varieties.

• Options
    pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭

So few Marianas have shown up it looks like an inside deal with the mint to me.

• Options

@pitboss said:

I suspect the mint sent them on schedule to the Feb branch banks but they have yet to get fully distributed to the public via the private banks' armored car carriers. I have searched over 50 boxes, have found a few dozen Ws but have yet to get the motherlode: a box of nothing but the Marianas. Most of the boxes don't even cry out for a full search, just a random spot check of some of the rolls.

• Options

@derryb said:

@pitboss said:

I suspect the mint sent them on schedule to the Feb branch banks but they have yet to get fully distributed to the public via the private banks' armored car carriers. I have searched over 50 boxes, have found a few dozen Ws but have yet to get the motherlode: a box of nothing but the Marianas. Most of the boxes don't even cry out for a full search, just a random spot check of some of the rolls.

Vaults are full. Have to have something big occurring somewhere so that quarters are being used (ordered).

Business order quarters from their local bank. Local bank from their bigger bank or from the Fed’s contracted servicer. Need to get some turnover going. Someone do a 50 State Fair and everything costs a quarter. :D

Of course, those collecting the slabbed versions are probably loving this. Once 1 Jun hits that’s the end of the slabbed varieties for the AM Early Find. Labels will go back to the usual ones for ATB quarters.

Then the prep for the next W quarter.

• Options

Observations. A week to go before Lowells are done for the Early find pedigree.

American memorial still has about two weeks, but not being found in quantity.

• Options

At a much, much lower population, the Marianna First Week of Discovery ebay prices seem to be following the Lowell trend.

• Options

I have searched about 30 boxes that contained nothing but Mariana D's and the W's that were in there were Lowell's not Marianas and I mean a lot of w's. It made it real easy to pick them out because all you had to look for was the spinning wheel on the reverse.

• Options

I just got 8 more boxes today. Six were junk and the other 2 were Mariana 's with 94 more Lowell W's and 8 more with either W's or spinning wheels on the end roll.At least these W's are easy to pick out as all you have to look for are the spinning wheel and you have the Lowell w.

• Options

My guess is that there was a miscalculation of number of scoops per bag. Not enough scoops initially so the Mint is dumping the rest of the 2 million Lowell quarters into whatever bags is available which is now the AMs.

• Options

I think the mint has made a colossal screw up with this shoe thing. I am not going to chase the other 4 designs as it is just too much work. I made enough money on the Lowells and still have a couple of hundred to sit on.

• Options
    edited May 18, 2019 1:57PM

@Hemispherical said:
    My guess is that there was a miscalculation of number of scoops per bag. Not enough scoops initially so the Mint is dumping the rest of the 2 million Lowell quarters into whatever bags is available which is now the AMs.

Reportedly, the Lowell P & Ds were already shipped out when the Ws were ready for distribution. It is also reported that all of the Lowell and Mariana Ws went into only the Mariana bags since the Lowell bags were already shipped from the respective mints. The "scoops" were added at the P and D mints with W coins shipped from West Point.

Next release of Ws should be normal, with them added to the corresponding P & D bags before those bags leave the their respective mint.

FWIW, I just searched a complete box of Lowell Ps today and it contained no Ws. Helps confirm the report of the Lowell Ws being put in the Mariana bags.

• Options

There is no doubt that the Lowell's were in the Mariana bags as I found many hundred of them there. They were super were super easy to pick out , all you had to look for was the spinning wheel and you knew you had a w. It will not be as easy to pick out the next ones because you will need to look at the W or D . I am not going to be bothered with that.

• Options
    BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭

I got three 2019 American Memorials in change yesterday!

"P" on them all.

(Yes, that might be a double entendre.)

• Options
    SweetpieSweetpie Posts: 466 ✭✭✭
    edited May 20, 2019 8:16PM

@pitboss said:
    There is no doubt that the Lowell's were in the Mariana bags as I found many hundred of them there. They were super were super easy to pick out , all you had to look for was the spinning wheel and you knew you had a w. It will not be as easy to pick out the next ones because you will need to look at the W or D . I am not going to be bothered with that.

Wouldn't there MIGHT be a chance the W Mariana's be mixed together with the P or D's Marianss?

I wondered if that might be the reason for the low W Mariana pop.

• Options

@Sweetpie said:

Wouldn't there MIGHT be a chance the W Mariana's be mixed together with the P or D's Marianss?

Lowell and Mariana Ws were both mixed only with Mariana P & Ds. Lowell P & Ds left the mints before the W's were ready.

• Options

@derryb said:

@Sweetpie said:

Lowell and Mariana Ws were both mixed only with Mariana P & Ds. Lowell P & Ds left the mints before the W's were ready.

Exactly!

So Mr Pitboss's strategy of just checking the back for W Lowell may prevented him of finding the W Marianas that were mixed also with the P/D Marianas.

But I haven't heard of any localities receiving both W Lowell and W Mariana yet. Anyone?

• Options
    edited May 21, 2019 11:43AM

@Sweetpie said:

But I haven't heard of any localities receiving both W Lowell and W Mariana yet. Anyone?

I have found both in bank boxes. I believe they were both released at the same time to localities.

• Options
    edited May 23, 2019 12:09AM

The last day for EF variant for Lowell’s is tomorrow. Don’t have it postmarked by 24 May then it’ll be just another 2019-W Lowell NP slab like the 2019-P/D Lowell NP’s.

Weird thing is there are nine Lowell’s slabbed as “generic” 2019-W Lowell and two for the American Memorial.

Someone did not know how to fill out the submission form?

Or cheap. :D

Slab under FD19 is $20/coin.

Slab as generic is $16/coin (Modern Service)

EF ends: 24 May

EF ends: 1 Jun

• Options

Just spot checked four boxes of nothing but new Lowell's, I can confirm the Lowell Ws are in the Marianna boxes/rolls as previously reported. The report that the Lowell P&Ds were released before the Lowell Ws were available appears to be correct.

• Options
    edited May 23, 2019 1:50PM

Wow.
    Good timing.

Did received 1 box of solid Lowells out of 4 boxes today.

Think a solid box of Lowells is the worst 1 could get. On a mixed quarter boxes, at least 1 can find foreign coins and silver Washingtons.

Next!....

• Options

Always at least look at both ends of a roll if you don't plan on opening it. I have found virgin Mariana rolls in the bottom of boxes of dirty quarters. Averaging 15 boxes a week, I don't open every dirty quarter roll. I do check one occasionally. I always look at both ends of every roll.

• Options

Added over 900 Lowell’s and over 30 AM’s since last pop.

Late submitter’s of Lowell’s still can submit if postmarked NLT today. Is AK and HI post office’s still open?

Another Lowell added to the non-variety list for a total of 10. Don’t understand why? Yes, I do. Those submitter’s can’t read.

The AM slabs numbers are quite low and do not expect them to be close to the Lowells.

Release of the War’s is on 3 Jun. Maybe a month before first find. Unless someone did a bulk bag buy from the Mint.

• Options
    TetromibiTetromibi Posts: 944 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 24, 2019 9:27PM

@Hemispherical said:
    Added over 900 Lowell’s and over 30 AM’s since last pop.

Late submitter’s of Lowell’s still can submit if postmarked NLT today. Is AK and HI post office’s still open?

Another Lowell added to the non-variety list for a total of 10. Don’t understand why? Yes, I do. Those submitter’s can’t read.

The AM slabs numbers are quite low and do not expect them to be close to the Lowells.

Release of the War’s is on 3 Jun. Maybe a month before first find. Unless someone did a bulk bag buy from the Mint.

I sent a handful in not as Early Find (mine haven't been graded yet). I was told the entire submission had to be all W quarters for it. I honestly don't see the EF label as a value-add, and I wanted to submit other items at the same time. shrug

Somebody snagged a 68 W-Lowell ATS.

• Options

@Tetromibi said:

I sent a handful in not as Early Find. I was told the entire submission had to be all W quarters for it. I honestly don't see the EF label as a value-add, and I wanted to submit other items at the same time. shrug

Somebody snagged a 68 W-Lowell ATS.

Well I guess that makes sense to save $10 handling + insurance per submission with less than a certain number of coins.

Lately, been averaging 3-4 submissions per shipping. Hits the wallet when you have less than 10–20 coins a submission to pro-rate the handling and shipping/insurance fees.

The W’s will have some kind of premium when this is all done. What? No idea.

Next year will be the set collectors, i.e., those wanting all four slabbed W’s as one buy... maybe. If the AMs have a low slab count then this will be base for total number of 4-slabbed Ws. We shall see, about this time next year, perhaps?

I checked the pop for 2019 ATB quarters. There are two 69s for San Antonio Mission Park which hasn’t been released for circ yet. So they must have come from the unc ATB quarter set or the just released unc set.

But the W’s were all circ and to get a 68 means that quarter was lucky and protected by other quarters through the belts, bins, bounces, rattles, transportation, rollers, and hands. Wow! It should go for a tidy sum.

• Options

Thx for the updated pop report.
    I dont see how the First Week Am. went from a 285 for a few week and then 312 this week.

FW was over liked ...35 days ago or so?

• Options

@Sweetpie said:
    Thx for the updated pop report.
    I dont see how the First Week Am. went from a 285 for a few week and then 312 this week.

FW was over liked ...35 days ago or so?

My guesses.

Lost in the mail.

Or, submitter used registered mail. Most secure, but takes the longest to reach its destination.

Or, used the Mint’s SmartPost contract.... :s:D

• Options

I did very well with the Lowells and am not sorry if I missed a few Marianas because I was only looking for the Lowells as I was able to search many more boxes without wasting time looking for the Mariana W's as they are much harder to see and my old eyes do not work that well anymore. The only way I was able to pick the Lowells out was by looking for the spinning wheel on the reverse . I will not be searching for any more W's on account of my eye problems so good luck everyone .

• Options

Mariana's still avoiding the roll hunters for the most part. Suspect Fed branch banks have not yet released the bulk of them. Starting to see a lot of boxes full of nothing but shiny new Lowells. Appears to be a lag time in my area for release by the Fed branch bank.

• Options

@pitboss said:
    I will not be searching for any more W's on account of my eye problems so good luck everyone .

Bet you change your mind. You're hooked.

• Options

I am still looking through boxes I have on hand here right now. This box I have picked 60 LowellsW's out of so far and stillll have 10 rolls to go. Still not looking for anything but the spinning wheels.

• Options

Anybody need a roll or two?

• Options

Numbers are based upon the last pop post (above).

Lowell 279 increase. Expect a few more last minute EFs submissions postmarked 24 May and before to arrive at our hosts intake mailroom over the weekend and into next week. Currently, grading turnaround is 15 days (FD19 are “Regular” submissions). Therefore, EF pop should be increasing for the next 2-4 weeks.

AM 25 increase.

EF ended on 24 May

EF to 1 Jun

• Options
    edited May 26, 2019 7:28AM

Note that Marianas are still running about 10% of graded Lowells. Both Ws were released by the mint at about the same time. Ebay prices sure don't reflect the scarcity of Marianas.

• Options

@derryb said:
    Note that Marianas are still running about 10% of graded Lowells. Both Ws were released by the mint at about the same time. Ebay prices sure don't reflect the scarcity of Marianas.

It may be the way things run moving forward. Prices on the raw memorial park quarters dropped an insane amount when one person listed nonstop $0.01 auctions over a weekend. Then went from $90/coin to $20-25 a coin over the course of a weekend.

The graded coins coins dropped fairly quickly as well.

People see and think “oh, the Lowell 66 costs X right now, so the rest of quarters should be same price regardless of population.”

• Options
    WALLEWALLE Posts: 234 ✭✭✭✭

@pitboss said:
    I am still looking through boxes I have on hand here right now. This box I have picked 60 LowellsW's out of so far and stillll have 10 rolls to go. Still not looking for anything but the spinning wheels.

Are you selling the raw w's ?

• Options

I have been right along but now only on the PCGS buy sell trade forum under my forum name. They are $11.00 each with free shipping.

• Options
    WALLEWALLE Posts: 234 ✭✭✭✭

Thanks

• Options

Since last post:

Lowells: +17
    AMs: +44

EF ended 24 May

EF ends 1 Jun

• Options

Lowells: +122
    AMs: +40

• Options

Lowells: +48
    AMs: +40

• Options
    mas3387mas3387 Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭

My first American Memorial coins submitted

• Options

@mas3387

They will go for a nice sum. Congrats!

• Options

I’m excited, I got this back from NGC today.

• Options

@Jmcc1155 said:
    I’m excited, I got this back from NGC today.

Nice score. Congrats!

• Options

Thank you very much

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file