Home U.S. Coin Forum

W Mariana Quarter Find Thread

BrettPCGSBrettPCGS Posts: 159 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hello all, it's been repeatedly brought to our attention this weekend that W Mariana quarters are proving significantly more difficult to find than their W Lowell counterparts.

Please use this thread solely for factual information and details surrounding your W Mariana quarter finds. If you were lucky enough to find one and wish to share, please share the general details of your find here.

What we know so far:

W Mariana quarters were found by our prize winners last week in Orlando, FL and New Smyrna, FL. Both winners found their loot in $500 quarter boxes from Wells Fargo banks. I believe one winner found a single coin, where the other winner found 3-4 pieces.

Brett Charville --- I work at PCGS

Comments

• TetromibiTetromibi Posts: 940 ✭✭✭✭✭

Going from ebay listings, it looks like Cincinnati has some as well.

• HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

Orlando, Myrna, and Cincinnati.

Eastern States and Ohio is borderline Midwest-Eastern.

Needs to start disbursing further south and west.

Still searching.

Adding two more cities the Marianas Ws being sold from:

Oldsmar, FL

Fargo, ND

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Hemispherical said:

Still searching.

The easiest place for me to search is ...

eBay ;)

@Zoins said:

@Hemispherical said:

Still searching.

The easiest place for me to search is ...

eBay ;)

I’m feeling it. But holding onto hope for the pocket change register W find.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here we are looking for the second type W quarter, and I have not yet found the first one... :'( Oh well, today is another day... and I need to go shopping... Stay tuned....Cheers, RickO

@Hemispherical said:

Oldsmar, FL

Fargo, ND

The Fargo, ND are mine. They were sourced from Cincinnati.

edited April 23, 2019 8:54AM

@Tetromibi said:

@Hemispherical said:

Oldsmar, FL

Fargo, ND

The Fargo, ND are mine. They were sourced from Cincinnati.

Thanks @Tetromibi that means we are still east-coastish for the Marianas’ Ws.

————-

There is always hope. Every time I get a shiny quarter and it’s a Lowell/Mariana the anticipation builds, put my readers on, and... start thinking what else do I need to buy in cash today. ;):D

• matt_dacmatt_dac Posts: 959 ✭✭✭✭✭

@derryb said:
    I have searched 15 boxes ($500 ea.) since I started the hunt April 12.

You're an animal!

• derrybderryb Posts: 36,118 ✭✭✭✭✭

bump for the coin hunters

The decline from democracy to tyranny is both a natural and inevitable one.

• LJenkins11LJenkins11 Posts: 724 ✭✭✭✭✭

15 boxes is a lot of quarters. I would most certainly NOT want to roll all of those.

• direwolf1972direwolf1972 Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭

We went thru far more than 15 boxes in Nashville TN last week.

Lost count but estimate 30 plus 500 dollar boxes.

We did 19 boxes in Nasville area to score 69 Lowell.

This last run was way more work no Mariana's.

I'm convinced Nashville Loomis has not dropped their load yet.

I'll see your bunny with a pancake on his head and raise you a Siamese cat with a miniature pumpkin on his head.

You wouldn't believe how long it took to get him to sit still for this.

• direwolf1972direwolf1972 Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭

That being said I'm sure the next delivery (majority of banks we spoke with said new deliveries would be in Wednesday or Thursday) they will surface, as the city is gearing up to host the NFL draft.

I'll see your bunny with a pancake on his head and raise you a Siamese cat with a miniature pumpkin on his head.

You wouldn't believe how long it took to get him to sit still for this.

• pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭

We have not received any of the new quarters in Albuquerque yet and most of the banks here tell me they do not order them from the fed. They just use re-rolled coins.

@pitboss said:
    We have not received any of the new quarters in Albuquerque yet and most of the banks here tell me they do not order them from the fed. They just use re-rolled coins.

The lack of ebay raw sellers indicates this to be mostly the case everywhere.

The first week label should be rare on these. I don't know if that will add any value or not, but it will be significantly rarer than the Lowell quarters.

I think the fed is getting resistance from the banks on purchasing more quarters from them right now . They charge the banks for them and banks are getting the old ones re-wrapped as it is cheaper for them.

• Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

30 boxes... getting closer to the cost of a ballistic bag. That might be the best bet for the next ones. There is going to be a pile of recycled quarters flowing in and out of banks for a while it appears.

edited April 25, 2019 12:24PM

Only need $51,500 for a Mint bag and truck to haul over 2600lbs.

https://catalog.usmint.gov/bulk-purchase-program-landing.html#atb

-purchase the minimum of one bulk bag, which contains 200,000 coins

-pay for the coins at face value ($50,000) plus a processing fee, which equals 3% percent of total order value ($1,500 per bag)

-pay in full and in advance via electronic funds transfer to the United States Mint (instructions are provided after the order is entered and the inventory is confirmed)

-assume all shipping costs and arrange pick up to receive coins at the dock of United States Mint facilities in Philadelphia or Denver for coins manufactured in Philadelphia or Denver, respectively

@Hemispherical said:

-purchase the minimum of one bulk bag, which contains 200,000 coins

-pay for the coins at face value ($50,000) plus a processing fee, which equals 3% percent of total order value ($1,500 per bag)

-pay in full and in advance via electronic funds transfer to the United States Mint (instructions are provided after the order is entered and the inventory is confirmed)

-assume all shipping costs and arrange pick up to receive coins at the dock of United States Mint facilities in Philadelphia or Denver for coins manufactured in Philadelphia or Denver, respectively

-AND, figure out a way to dispose of all the loose non-W's

• SweetpieSweetpie Posts: 465 ✭✭✭

But its still no guaranteed a scoop of the " W " quarters will be in there. Remember the Mint are distributing the W in certain areas.

You might have to order a few bags to help your cause.

@derryb said:

@Hemispherical said:

-AND, figure out a way to dispose of all the loose non-W's

Get enough of them you can build a wall/levee.

Pilfering might be problem.

Noticed there is a “+.” Total of nine Mariana’s.

I have 3 66’s and 1 66+.

Posted earlier by @Tetromibi on the other W thread. More Marianas.

Looks like these are cropping up in North Carolina now.

@Tetromibi said:
    Looks like these are cropping up in North Carolina now.

Mostly still coastal and I’m still hoping. What’s the saying? Hope springs some kind of eternal or something.

• Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

When will they reach Hawaii ? :'(

Timbuk3
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,412 ✭✭✭✭✭

haven't seen any here as of yet

Plenty of Mariana Island coins here but the only W's in them are the Lowells. It makes it nice in searching them for the W's as the reverse stands out real well. That is all you need to see is the reverse , you don't need to see the D or W on the coin as that tells you you have a W.. I had one today on the end roll so I just put it aside.

Marianas still slow out of the gate. Pops are reflecting this as are my bank box search results.

@derryb said:
    Marianas still slow out of the gate. Pops are reflecting this as are my bank box search results.

Maybe the glut of Lowell’s is causing a slow down in the Mariana’s but starting to see both of these shiny quarters in change.

• kbbpllkbbpll Posts: 542 ✭✭✭✭

Every time I see this thread title I think somebody found a quarter in the Mariana Trench.

I’ve seen a few of these now. I haven’t found it, but it wouldn’t surprise me to see a 68 on these.

So far appear to be much better quality.

• oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,869 ✭✭✭✭✭

If only arcades were still around...

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug...

It is getting hard to find good rolls now as everyone is after them. Usually I can pick up 2 boxes a day of good coins but I only got one today. All the banks are cleaned out of them. I went around today and ordered 4 boxes a day from now on until I tell them to stop. I know I cant look through them that fast but there is always next year to finish what I don't get done this year.

I suspect most of the Mariana's have still not been released from the fed branch banks to the carrier's that supply the local banks. I live in one of the blessed cities and have seen only two loaded "Mariana" boxes out of 47 searched.

@derryb said:
    I suspect most of the Mariana's have still not been released from the fed branch banks to the carrier's that supply the local banks. I live in one of the blessed cities and have seen only two loaded "Mariana" boxes out of 47 searched.

Glut of Lowell’s.

Informative article on the Ws. Agree with some of the long-term predictions.

——-

The Coin Analyst: 2019-W Quarters Boost Modern Coin Collecting, But Will It Last?
    By Louis Golino - April 25, 2019

A couple extracts:

“The market is clearly in flux for the “W’ quarters. Longtime collectors expected early sale prices, especially for raw coins, to start out high and continue to come down, which is what happened. And graded examples that receive mint state designations are certainly bringing in impressive sums, especially if they also have the pedigree of first-discovered coins and/or are the highest-graded examples so far.”
    “The “W” quarters have mostly been received very enthusiastically by collectors – because of the positive impact they will have by bringing in new collectors, the excitement they are adding to the hobby, and the incentive they provide to look for something of value in circulation.”

https://coinweek.com/modern-coins/the-coin-analyst-2019-w-quarters-boost-modern-coin-collecting-but-will-it-last/

• Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Timbuk3 said:

Probably about the same time as Alaska. XF-AU! :s

@pitboss said:
    It is getting hard to find good rolls now as everyone is after them. Usually I can pick up 2 boxes a day of good coins but I only got one today. All the banks are cleaned out of them. I went around today and ordered 4 boxes a day from now on until I tell them to stop. I know I cant look through them that fast but there is always next year to finish what I don't get done this year.

Its back to 4 boxes of junk quarters to get rid of tomorrow.

edited May 4, 2019 3:35AM

@pitboss said:

@pitboss said:

Learn to uncrimp one end of the roll, drop the coins out of that end, search them, drop them back in and recrimp by folding the edge down twice. most banks have no problem accepting rolled coins for deposit.

edited May 4, 2019 3:34AM

Went thru 6 boxes today, more worn out quarters.

• KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Timbuk3 said:

I'm not holding my breath. I'll try some rolls in a couple weeks but I'm not gonna feel bad if there aren't any.

@derryb said:

@pitboss said:

@pitboss said:

Learn to uncrimp one end of the roll, drop the coins out of that end, search them, drop them back in and recrimp by folding the edge down twice. most banks have no problem accepting rolled coins for deposit.

Why bother to do that now that all the credit unions let you use the coin counting machines in the lobby? Uncrimping was necessary a few years ago but not now. Anyway Im off to credit union to get rid of the junk and maybe find another good box or two.

• kbbpllkbbpll Posts: 542 ✭✭✭✭

"First Discovery 1 of 2" - am I the only one who sees something, uh, you know... what's the word...

@kbbpll said:
    "First Discovery 1 of 2" - am I the only one who sees something, uh, you know... what's the word...

Means there were two quarters to arrive at PCGS on the same day. The reward was split between the two.

Same happened with the Lowells.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file