Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Baltimore Show Report-FOLLOW UP (in recent comment)

ProofmorganProofmorgan Posts: 715 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited June 11, 2019 6:07AM in U.S. Coin Forum

I landed into Baltimore around 10am Thursday after a brief flight from NH and made my way to view the Stacks auction lots. I wasn’t very impressed with the offerings as compared to many other auctions I have viewed lately.

I remembered a forum member saying the O’s would be out of town, I decided to double check. To my surprise, they were playing the Yankees (my team) at 1235pm. I looked at tickets on StubHub which were relatively inexpensive but could not decide on where to sit or if I wanted to delay getting to the show by going to the game. After viewing the stacks lots, a ticket in Row 1 behind the Yankees dugout was available for $79, I couldn’t believe it! I bought it quick and attended the game to see the Yankees get an exciting 9th inning win, sit in the best baseball game seat I’ll likely ever get, a substantial sunburn, and a nice cool thunderstorm before heading back to the show.

I arrived at the show at 4pm. Most dealers seemed to be packing up despite the 12pm public open and 6pm close time. It looked like a Saturday afternoon at any other show. Many empty tables. The venue also seemed notably dimly lit.

Many big and usual dealers were not in attendance and the overall quantity of monster coins was a absent. It was nice to see that Legend made the trip with their always excellent inventory. Saw a nice 1812 $5 at a dealer I’ve never heard of. Super original, but adjustment marks on the cheek like she was dragged down the street (reason for no CAC). Either way, it was on hold and he would not price it.

I picked up some bullion, which was absolutely impossible to find other than silver eagles. It must all be in hiding with the low spot prices. I dropped off a “+” submission to PCGS and left around 530pm at which there was little activity.

I headed to Sullivan’s Steakhouse for dinner. I had a nice steak but the place was in disarray. People with reservations were waiting an hour to be seated, the bartender quit and 3 waitresses were trying to cover and breaking bottles, glass, and bumping into each other while drinks were being sent back (I viewed this all from my bar seat, which didn’t require a wait). Of note was a glass or ceiling fixture (no one seemed to know) that spontaneously exploded at a high top table leaving glass everywhere and most people mystified.

Friday:

I got to the show for the 10am open and again noted a weaker attendance and many empty tables. I picked up some more
bullion for a friend at first and then really took my time wandering the floor since I had the time and there wasn’t much ground to cover. Dad stayed back home this time because it was a smaller show and teaming up wasn’t of as much benefit.

I did not find much for early gold except a nice example with the ever so delightful Bonnie Sable. Unfortunately it was priced at a level I couldn’t dream of recovering in the next 10-20 years. I stopped to look at an 1813 $5 on a rattler at Legends table, which I used to own a few years ago and also the 1834 $2.5 (just because).

I then headed to Stacks booth to see the amazing collection of early Draped $10s coming up for auction in the fall. There were some nice examples, but you can find a wide array of quality
And originality within them. Overall, just about as nice as you could ever dream to find on the show floor.

My boredom led to at an attempt at a cherry pick of a SP70 2008 with 2007 Reverse Silver Eagle. My dad bought one from the mint in 2008 which we only graded a 69. I found a table with 3 examples for a fair price and one of them was far nicer than the rest. After blowing up trueviews I believed I had a 70 if PCGS woke up on the right side of the bed that day. So I bought it and submitted it. I’ll report the results when I get it back in 15 business days or so. After circling a few more times I had had enough and called it a show. Off to dinner tonight and a flight back home tomorrow morning to enjoy the holiday weekend with friends.

Edited to add:

PCGS reps were talking about how they didn’t have their usually candy stash at this show. They were saying that it was stolen off the loading dock when they arrived...crazy!

Collector of Original Early Gold with beginnings in Proof Morgan collecting.

Comments

• Options
    ChopmarkedTradesChopmarkedTrades Posts: 498 ✭✭✭✭✭

The 1812 Half Eagle looks great!

• Options

@ChopmarkedTrades said:
    The 1812 Half Eagle looks great!

It was “On Hold” for the entirety of the show. IMO it did not CAC due to a lot of adjustment marks on the cheek, but outside of that....as nice as one could ask for originality wise.

• Options
    GazesGazes Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭✭✭

really terrific report!

• Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

The seats at the ballgame were worth the flight.

The AU53 1799 $10 looks the nicest of the early gold.

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    ScarsdaleCoinScarsdaleCoin Posts: 5,187 ✭✭✭✭✭

Confused saw the 1812 pic but where did that come from? Didn’t see it mentioned but maybe I missed it. Yes indeed a very well written report

Jon Lerner - Scarsdale Coin - www.CoinHelp.com
  • Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Proofmorgan thanks for your show report. Love the metal gold and saw the delicious drinking gold at the game.

Might want to keep that “billion” for yourself and give your friend a million or two. :) [dang autocorrect]

• Options
    earlyAurumearlyAurum Posts: 718 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great report!

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the stellar report

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,769 ✭✭✭✭✭

Expectations were low from the start. I was able to find some interesting historical items that really are outside the scope of numismatics. Short stay but fun and submitted coins to our host. Should be interesting... No US so no further commentary will be forthcoming on that subject.

Many folks travel to attend and participate at this show to make it the show that it is. Safe travels and enjoy the Memorial Day weekend.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    fastfreddiefastfreddie Posts: 2,769 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great report and nice pics! But what kind of beer were you drinking? BTW Nice seat for the game!!

It is not that life is short, but that you are dead for so very long.
  • Options
    mustanggtmustanggt Posts: 2,636 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice report, thanks

• Options

@fastfreddie said:
    Great report and nice pics! But what kind of beer were you drinking? BTW Nice seat for the game!!

They have a local brewery that brews “The Raven” Lager. Inspired by Edgar Allen Poe. Was good!

• Options
    ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 24, 2019 5:28PM

Neat report!
    Regrettably, those adjustment marks plague all too many 1812 $5's, and, though fewer carry them, to a still irritating degree they're to be found on some 1810's too. :( .

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,054 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the nice show report.

• Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,067 ✭✭✭✭✭

thanks for the report and pics. I always enjoy hearing about interesting things outside the show.

• Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,147 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice report, except for the Yankees winning....😉

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    ReadyFireAimReadyFireAim Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 24, 2019 8:28PM

I snagged one :)

It's a 47/8 (mine is 65+ and the 8 are all 66)
    Threw in a low ball and got it at $3625 (out the door)
    Not a rip but pretty good.
    The 22 is a weird year, pretty baggy/broken die & spotty.
    My old 65 was pretty nice so I wasn't really looking to upgrade....Oh-well...Take em when you can get em B)

• Options
    rln_14rln_14 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the very good report, enjoyed the pictures

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great report. I appreciate it.

• Options
    SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,959 ✭✭✭✭✭

Awesome report thank you.

I especially love the slabs on cases pics....some amazing gold.

• Options
    roob47roob47 Posts: 142 ✭✭✭

fun read , bartender quit! :D Great pics thanks!

• Options
    FunwithMPLFunwithMPL Posts: 328 ✭✭✭

Thanks for the report

Collector
  • Options
    CharlotteDudeCharlotteDude Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dude.. I was at that game on Thursday (work group outing) and the show yesterday. True that it was indeed sparsely attended with lots of empty tables. Aside from the impressive Taraszka early Eagle display and the very elusive, unmessed-with early & Charlotte mint gold coin (the only dates of interest would've been duplicates), pickings were very slim.

Got Crust....y gold?
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great report.... Thanks for the details... Nice pictures of the gold coins too....Some interesting silver bullion...That steakhouse experience was unique....Cheers, RickO

• Options
    bronzematbronzemat Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great report, thanks for posting it.

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,503 ✭✭✭✭✭

I love the high grade gold that's posted, I like

• Options
    DDRDDR Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great report! I love going to the Baltimore show when the Orioles are playing next door at Camden Yards.

• Options
    coinhackcoinhack Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭✭

That was a fun report. Thank you.

• Options
    jonrunsjonruns Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great report....looks like the ball game was as sparsely attended as the show!!!

• Options
    hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the report. Sounds like the ball game was the best part of the trip.

It amazes me that a medium sized show in Minneapolis packs in the customers but the larger shows like Baltimore and Central States look like a ghost town.

• Options

Update:

My plus candidate did not plus. PCGS has been really tough on these lately after a seemingly loose stretch.

My cherry-picked burnished 2008 Silver Eagle with Reverse of 2007 did make SP70 and paid for the trip!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file