Home U.S. Coin Forum

EDIT** 1867 No Rays- Shield Nickel/DDR Variety

CRH4LIFECRH4LIFE Posts: 849 ✭✭✭✭
edited May 24, 2019 10:03AM in U.S. Coin Forum

Straight to the point here, Will the die cracks on the reverse cause these extra split serifs I am seeing? May I not yet again get ahead of myself to believe this is a doubled die Reverse. There are a few more I could not get pictured as I had trouble having a steady hand with my Loupe and light source today. Sorry ahead of time for the lacking photos ladies and gents.

Comments

• RayboRaybo Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭✭✭

Shield Nickels are a great series and the die cracks are just awesome.

http://shieldnickels.net/

• CRH4LIFECRH4LIFE Posts: 849 ✭✭✭✭

@Raybo said:

Agreed, I have actually been to this sight a handful of times and unless I am skimming over information I should have seen I have yet to find a answer on this! I also may not be as familiar with this site as I should be as well

• Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,114 ✭✭✭✭✭

Neat coin!
    Hopefully howards will be along soon to help you out.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug

@howards said:
    It looks like a DDR to me.

I have 8 DDRs catalogued for 1867NR.

Holy cow!! That’s a lot. I thought it was but you never know!

• yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,572 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good photos, and the separation in the DDR doubling is quite clear in spite of the nearby die cracks.

@yosclimber said:
    Good photos, and the separation in the DDR doubling is quite clear in spite of the nearby die cracks.

Awesome, Thank you

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great pictures... sure looks like it is doubled.... Cheers, RickO

• rawmorganrawmorgan Posts: 618 ✭✭✭

@Raybo said:

Love this series for die cracks and re-cut/re-punched mint marks

Good looking coin in the OP, have fun.

• TommyTypeTommyType Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just out of curiosity.....What's the grade on that coin?

(I was going to chime in that it looks like a DD in addition to the cracks, but you already got more informed opinions than mine. ;) )

Easily distracted Type Collector
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 24, 2019 9:12AM

I think I read somewhere that the hardness of the alloy caused them lots of headaches with the dies for these early nickels, often resulting in the kind of crazy crackage we see here.

Looks like you got some colorful toning as icing on the cake. Nice coin.

What's the grade? :)

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

@lordmarcovan said:
    I think I read somewhere that the hardness of the alloy caused them lots of headaches with the dies for these early nickels, often resulting in the kind of crazy crackage we see here.

Looks like you got some colorful toning as icing on the cake. Nice coin.

What's the grade? :)

You are right,I believe that was part of the reason for taking out the rays from the die. Fun fact it isn’t actually graded LOL I kept the left over holder from a crossover for picture purposes! I would say it’s in the + side of VF spectrum?

I may try to get this attributed possibly

Curiously though through some eBay searching I did find this shield Nickel with what appears to be a RPD but am going to pass

• TommyTypeTommyType Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CRH4LIFE said:

I would say it’s in the + side of VF spectrum?

I would guess more in the XF area, but I was getting mixed signals. That's why I was interested.

Easily distracted Type Collector

I gotcha and no biggie! It looks rather acceptable for me! I do agree on the XF but I like to undersize it sometimes. I am not yet up to par on my grading skills

• howardshowards Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭
    edited May 25, 2019 6:46PM

. > @lordmarcovan said:

One of the places you could have read that is here:

http://www.shieldnickels.net/articles/WondrousVarieties/ShieldNickels.html

@CRH4LIFE said:
    Curiously though through some eBay searching I did find this shield Nickel with what appears to be a RPD but am going to pass

it is a minor RPD.

@CRH4LIFE said:
    I may try to get this attributed possibly

Don't waste your money sending it to a TPG as they won't attribute this other than agreeing it is a DDR.

• ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice coin you have there.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

Thank you Howard, is there anyway to contribute it to a online site if anyone worse is interested in finding the same variety? And thanks MS

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file