Home Sports Talk
Options

Bryce Harper

2»

Comments

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,787 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bronco2078 said:
    Oh brother :D I guess its ok to get on a guy for a hitting slump in a kids game but don't say mean things about the pedo-enabler. Good to know

Are you seriously going to try and defend this statement??? You made a disgusting comment, there is no defense for it. The best advise i can give you is that when you find yourself in a hole, the first thing to do is stop digging. Making a joke about pedophilia is akin to making jokes about the holocaust, they are not funny.

Honestly, you seem to hate sports and sports cards and you never seem to make any meaningful comments. Why do you even hang out here? Honest question.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,437 ✭✭✭✭✭

@craig44 said:

@bronco2078 said:
    Oh brother :D I guess its ok to get on a guy for a hitting slump in a kids game but don't say mean things about the pedo-enabler. Good to know

Are you seriously going to try and defend this statement??? You made a disgusting comment, there is no defense for it. The best advise i can give you is that when you find yourself in a hole, the first thing to do is stop digging. Making a joke about pedophilia is akin to making jokes about the holocaust, they are not funny.

Honestly, you seem to hate sports and sports cards and you never seem to make any meaningful comments. Why do you even hang out here? Honest question.

I usually enjoy his posts. He's often clever and/or funny. This time NOT.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JoeBanzai said:

@craig44 said:

@bronco2078 said:

I usually enjoy his posts. He's often clever and/or funny. This time NOT.

I agree....I usually get a kick out of Broncs post. But not this one. No way.

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1951WheatiesPremium said:

@Tabe said:
    .261/31/97 is "great"? Really? Since 1950, those numbers have been accomplished 733 times - 10.5 times per season. Something that happens that often isn't great. Good? Very good? Sure. Great? Nah.

Well, those are interesting numbers that you present. IF he does it this year, he’d have three.

That does make me wonder, though, how many of the 773 are attributable to single players who did it multiple times? And what’s the list of guys who did it multiple times look like?

I’m willing to bet that THAT list will not be players who good or even very good but great players.

I mean, if there’s roughly 300 batters in the league every year and only 10 or 11 guys accomplish or achieve these milestones, I would think they’d often be the same guys getting All Star selections and MVP votes.

How do YOU measure great ballplayers? By height?

How do I measure great players? They do things that aren't done all the time. "great" is rare. It's unusual. .261/31/97 is none of those things.

• Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,313 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Tabe said:

@Tabe said:
    .261/31/97 is "great"? Really? Since 1950, those numbers have been accomplished 733 times - 10.5 times per season. Something that happens that often isn't great. Good? Very good? Sure. Great? Nah.

Well, those are interesting numbers that you present. IF he does it this year, he’d have three.

That does make me wonder, though, how many of the 773 are attributable to single players who did it multiple times? And what’s the list of guys who did it multiple times look like?

I’m willing to bet that THAT list will not be players who good or even very good but great players.

I mean, if there’s roughly 300 batters in the league every year and only 10 or 11 guys accomplish or achieve these milestones, I would think they’d often be the same guys getting All Star selections and MVP votes.

How do I measure great players? They do things that aren't done all the time. "great" is rare. It's unusual. .261/31/97 is none of those things.

Well, the guys last year who hit .260/30/100* were:

JD Martinez
    Javier Baez
    Nolan Arenado
    Christian Yelich
    Trevor Story
    Jesus Aguilar
    Manny Machado
    Jose Ramirez
    Giancarlo Stanton

I’m not going year by year back to 1950 but other than Aguilar, those are the most productive (and great) players in baseball today.

If you are the top 9/300 then you are in the top 3 percent.

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options

I'm not a big Harper fan, but if he can continue to hit 30 HR every year AND stay on the field, he will have a good shot at the HOF.

Kingman averaged 464 PA per year and had to average almost 630 per year his last three years to get his numbers that high. Dave did hit a HR every 15AB and that is great, he just needed to get on the field more!

Harper averages 522 PA so far.

If things continue at this pace Harper will dwarf Kingman.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    edited May 24, 2019 5:55AM

@Tabe said:

@Tabe said:

If you can play for 20 years and do that, I would say it was great. 8 years, not so much.

Time will tell.

Carl Yastrzemski= .285/19/80

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,787 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yaz was an interesting case. He had a transcendent peak and then a very long decline period. He had large counting stats and a run of peak greatness.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options

Yaz had 2 awesome years, 2 great years, 2 or 3 really good years and about 16 average (or slightly above average) years.

• Options
    JRR300JRR300 Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭✭

Harper plays hard all the time, plays his position well with a strong arm, and his mere presence in the lineup is getting better pitches for the guys in front and behind in the lineup. Are we thrilled with his offensive production, no.......but they knew what they were getting. He's not a .300 hitter but will hit for power and take his walks. With Hoskins, Realmuto and other bats behind him , that helps to translate into more runs. I believe they have the second best record in the NL (at least as of yesterday), leading the division and he hasn't really had a good streak yet! After the last 4 or 5 seasons, I'm more than happy to have him here.

• Options

What's not to love about a good looking, 330 million dollar man!!!!!

• Options

Looks like he's heating up. two more x base hits tonight in what will be a big Phils win.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,791 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MLBdays said:
    He is rated as the 69th best baseball player currently... too much hype... though I surmise he will improve as his vanity will demand it when he sees a Cody Bellinger, C. Yelich and Josh Bell devour him statistically. His bases empty averages are killing him vs men on base. The disparity is huge.

I disagree, he got PAID and he has a zero percent chance now of wanting to be like those guys, he already thinks he is better than them in every phase of the game and the Phills enabled that by throwing him 300 million

• Options

@perkdog said:

@MLBdays said:
    He is rated as the 69th best baseball player currently... too much hype... though I surmise he will improve as his vanity will demand it when he sees a Cody Bellinger, C. Yelich and Josh Bell devour him statistically. His bases empty averages are killing him vs men on base. The disparity is huge.

I disagree, he got PAID and he has a zero percent chance now of wanting to be like those guys, he already thinks he is better than them in every phase of the game and the Phills enabled that by throwing him 300 million

I still say the answer is pay them this year for what they did last year. One year at a time.

• Options

@DIMEMAN said:

@perkdog said:

@MLBdays said:

I still say the answer is pay them this year for what they did last year. One year at a time.

Screw that, I say pay them at the end of the season based on their stats.

• Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,313 ✭✭✭✭✭

My idea?

All players sign the same universal, incentive laden contract. Have a big year? Get a big pay day. Have 5 big years? Set for life.

Suck? Zip

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭✭

Charlie Comiskey approves that suggestion.

• Options

@perkdog said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@perkdog said:

@MLBdays said:

Screw that, I say pay them at the end of the season based on their stats.

I like that, but the first year would be very a very lean year!

• Options
    RocuanRocuan Posts: 403 ✭✭✭

I'm from Harrisburg. Watched him in the minors. Head case if there ever was one. Super impressed with himself..

Ro
  • Options

I don't know who is more delusional @stevek on his Philly's and Eagles or @hammer1 on his Lakers!

• Options

Manny Machado isn’t doing that great either. Trout is doing the best out of these huge contract guys