Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

*** Old thread updated *** Please share your favorite Details or problem coin.

BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 7, 2024 8:11PM in U.S. Coin Forum

In a recent thread, @Walkerguy21D posted a nice Seated Half possessed of both a nice look and unfortunate hairlines.

I suppose I have two favorite "problem" coins. Each has been submitted twice and each has come back the same way from the graders twice. To be precise, one is in a straight-graded holder at a grade that is vastly below what I and at least three dealers expected. Maybe it's a slider but I can't see it.

The other is this beautiful coin which I stole away from @lkeigwin a few years ago. Can anyone guess what the graders said about it?

Please share your examples.

Comments

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 4, 2019 10:55PM

Here's a 1831 Capped Bust Half. I've looked for CBHs for a while and have found 2 problem free ones that I liked, but never sprung for those. Will have to next time.

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 5, 2019 5:49AM

• Options

Guess everyone here collects only problem-free coin. ;)

• Options
    privatecoinprivatecoin Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭✭✭

Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value. Zero. Voltaire. Ebay coinbowlllc

• Options
    U1chicagoU1chicago Posts: 5,636 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 5, 2019 2:49PM

@BryceM said:
    Guess everyone here collects only problem-free coin. ;)

Not everyone! I’m building a dansco type set with problem coins that still look good (at least to me :D ).

Here are two examples:
    (AU and VF details respectively)

• Options
    U1chicagoU1chicago Posts: 5,636 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here are two AT examples that I liked (I no longer have the Peace Dollar).

• Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

"The detriment of a defect decreases as the square of the rarity increases."

• Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hemispherical - that coin looks nearly "as struck." Should be MS-70.... :)

• Options
    kbbpllkbbpll Posts: 542 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 5, 2019 4:01PM

(What's with the "moderator approval" bug?)

• Options
    savitalesavitale Posts: 1,408 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BryceM said:
    In a recent thread, @Walkerguy21D posted a nice Seated Half possessed of both a nice look and unfortunate hairlines.

I suppose I have two favorite "problem" coins. Each has been submitted twice and each has come back the same way from the graders twice. To be precise, one is in a straight-graded holder at a grade that is vastly below what I and at least three dealers expected. Maybe it's a slider but I can't see it.

The other is this beautiful coin which I stole away from @lkeigwin a few years ago. Can anyone guess what the graders said about it?

That’s a beautiful Peace Dollar. What didn’t they like about it?

• Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,159 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 5, 2019 4:21PM

Great thread!
    I guess we at times get caught up in quest for perfect coins, or are embarrassed (at least here) to post
    our problem coins.

That 21 Peace dollar has a tremendous strike, but the luster seems strangely flat. I'd guess it was cleaned or
    has altered surfaces?

Like Billjones, I have a number of early copper coins (large cents) that are either in genny holders, or would be if submitted. I don't have any of my Lib Caps or Wreath cents photographed, but here are a few others.

This first coin was purchased from one of the major EAC dealers, and bbagged at both services.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    edited May 6, 2019 5:38PM

@lkeigwin Yeah, I sent it in once. It came back *.92, cleaned. While I think something light once happened to the surfaces, it’s certainly a very close call. It would not surprise me at all to see it in a straight-grade holder someday. A couple more years in the brown envelope would probably do it. ;) I’ve looked it over quite carefully and there aren’t any focal defects like rim issues, hairlines, or evidence of metal movement. Perhaps the down of a newly hatched snow owl once lightly fluttered over the coin.

• Options
    yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,605 ✭✭✭✭✭

http://ha.com/1231*5304

@ColonelJessup said:
    If anyone can load a picture of HA 1231-5304, it's the Parmelee 1792 Silver Disme (3 known) which @DrDuck, @MrEureka and I bought in a Stacks sale in 2000 at $103,500. Sold by Bob Simpson HA 1/16 at $329K.

One of the coolest coins I've owned. Described as "smoothed, polished, remnants of an old inscription" .
    My notes
    "FUBAR
    135 (in auction code)
    must I?"

• Options
    JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭

This Small Stars has a lot going for her.... and some going against her.
    But I still like this coin.

Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • Options
    jgennjgenn Posts: 738 ✭✭✭✭✭

1614 8 reales, Segovia (aqueduct mintmark), ex Huntington collection.

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,783 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a few, this bust half has an unfortunate rim bruise and has been subjected to a cleaning or two in its life, now sitting in my 7070 album. I also have a couple of Lincolns that I was fooled on but no pics of those right now.

And I have a seated qtr in an old ANACS holder with a few issues.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    edited May 6, 2019 10:34PM

Lots of CBH coins in this category. Too bad. They're beautiful coins anyhow. :)

The disme..... we'll that's just too cool.

Early copper is one area that I don't judge as harshly when it comes to a light cleaning or a bit of planchet erosion. Some of them weren't all that great when minted.

• Options
    StuartStuart Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭✭✭

1921 Peace Dollar

1876-S Trade Dollar

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

"Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity"
  • Options
    TwobitcollectorTwobitcollector Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

Positive BST Transactions with:
    INYNWHWeTrust-TexasNationals,ajaan,blu62vette
    coinJP, Outhaul ,illini420,MICHAELDIXON, Fade to Black,epcjimi1,19Lyds,SNMAN,JerseyJoe, bigjpst, DMWJR , lordmarcovan, Weiss,Mfriday4962,UtahCoin,Downtown1974,pitboss,RichieURich,Bullsitter,JDsCoins,toyz4geo,jshaulis, mustanggt, SNMAN
  • Options
    BarberianBarberian Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just purchased this off of eBay to lick my wounds and fill a pesky Dansco hole after being the underbidder for a 57-S in EF40 a few weeks ago.

3 rim nicks away from Good
  • Options
    Bob13Bob13 Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭✭✭

Scratched... I get it. But still a nice coin...

My current "Box of 20"

• Options
    PennyGuyPennyGuy Posts: 144 ✭✭✭

One of my favorite store cards. It’s a R-10 so being improperly cleaned doesn’t bother me.

"A penny hit by lightning is worth six cents". Opie Taylor

• Options
    2ltdjorn2ltdjorn Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭

I have a holed 1955 double die I like very much, got to find photos.

WTB... errors, New Orleans gold, and circulated 20th key date coins!
  • Options
    maplemanmapleman Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 4, 2019 6:31AM

@BryceM said:

One great strike IMO.
    I'd like to see it in hand.
    I would hope it wasn't details cleand. If not it's gotta be above 65 is my guess.

• Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,069 ✭✭✭✭✭

old anacs holder, rev. graffiti; lightened the images so you can see the marks under the right wing.. barely.

• Options
    TennesseeDaveTennesseeDave Posts: 4,743 ✭✭✭✭✭

This 1874-P Trade $ was most likely bagged for the drill test mark and might grade if resubmitted. Notice how the word surface is misspelled.

Trade $'s
  • Options
    CircCamCircCam Posts: 238 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 4, 2019 10:32AM

Bought in the ANACS slab, cracked for a Dansco, submitted to PCGS figuring they might call it ED.

I turned down a straight trade for the same coin in MS65 when it was in the ANACS slab, and I’ll never get a better offer than that for it anyway regardless of what slab it’s in. Love the coin... that trade offer sure was a test of my inner collector, though admittedly it was not an attractive 65.

• Options
    PickwickjrPickwickjr Posts: 556 ✭✭✭✭✭

Picked this unattributed from an auction than cracked it out. Sent it to NGC to get it in a holder.

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Damn, i get so much mileage out if this one little silver coin the size of my pinkie fingernail..

"Post a problem coin, post an early coin, post original surfaces, post draped bust, post a holed coin, post a low pop coin, post a favorite coin...

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    emeraldATVemeraldATV Posts: 4,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

ust one?
    Reasearch has dried up, and so too has this,36 S cent. Notice below LIBERTY. ...(of) ?
    In a font, called Pristina. I'd show it but do not have it in my type faces.
    Can't clean it, rub it or, even cuddle it.
    I'm Stuck..!

• Options

For the record, the coin in my first post is no longer a problem coin. It apparently changed, and now resides in an NGC MS64 holder. ;)

I find all of this amusing. I'm sure some will find the inconsistency appalling, and I'm sure some will imagine that this is evidence of the superiority of one TPG over another. I think it's a "tweener" with the look of an MS65 and some slight issue (perhaps slightly subdued luster???) that bothers some graders more than others. Seems right at home in its new holder to me.

• Options
    Manifest_DestinyManifest_Destiny Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    emeraldATVemeraldATV Posts: 4,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 7, 2024 9:03PM

ATV or AVT ?
    36,24,36 only the shadow knows.
    LOL.
    Speaking of problem shadows.

FG and it's shadow of the strike. Problem.
    AM touching or not. Problem.
    The Fox and the Hound comes to mind.
    But this is for another day.

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,178 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just picked up this Trade dollar earlier this evening:

I'm going to pop it out of the slab and place it in a Dansco type set I am building.

peacockcoins

• Options
    Mr_SpudMr_Spud Posts: 4,489 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mr_Spud

• Options
    lermishlermish Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

Really cool transitional obverse, semi-PL under a thick patina due to being struck with proof dies. Marginal cleaned designation with very few hairlines... it'll get another shot soon.

PS - @TennesseeDave If you still have that 74-P hanging around, irritating you in the details holder...shoot me a DM😉

• Options
    MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,674 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 8, 2024 9:02AM

I've shared this one before. I took a chance and bought this one raw at a local show. PCGS said it had been cleaned with AU details. I couldn't look at the slab without regret and irritation so I cracked it and put it in my type set album.
    Maybe there's a hairline in there somewhere, but I cannot see it. The tru-view looks nice. :'(

• Options
    rnkmyer1rnkmyer1 Posts: 525 ✭✭✭✭✭

I keep thinking I’m going to resubmit this one again someday. I can’t see any evidence of cleaning, but acknowledge there might be “environmental damage” - water related. True Views not used as they’re way too dark.

“The thrill of the hunt never gets old”

PCGS Registry: Screaming Eagles
    Copperindian

Retired sets: Soaring Eagles
    Copperindian

• Options
    jackpine20jackpine20 Posts: 139 ✭✭✭✭

Assigning the word graffiti is harsh. I have seen an example, recently, with unappealing, haphazard runic lettering, that was gifted the beloved 'engraved' descriptor. I refuse to accept 'Graffiti'. Oh, but I was pleasantly surprised by the classy, solid gasket that surrounds the coin.

Matt Snebold

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file