Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Curse thee, ye olde white whale

White whale cards are fascinating. Cards that continue to elude us. Cards that are mythical in their own way, and continue to stay one step ahead of us. I enjoy a good white whale hunt, even if I come up empty handed. I guess for me it's the thrill of the hunt. I currently have 10 or so white whales swimming around out there somewhere. If you would like to share your white whale hunting story with us this is the time and place to do it, whether it's a story of success or failure. I know we all have to have at least one white whale tormenting us.

Comments

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,527 ✭✭✭✭✭

"But what's this long face about Mr. Starbuck; wilt thou not chase the white whale? Art not game for Moby Dick?

• softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,267 ✭✭✭✭✭

LSD went out in the mid 70's

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

@BigRed7 said:
    My story from September 29, 2015

I started buying cards before I can remember, my father took me to my first card show in Willow Grove in 1976, I was thirteen. We have continued to collect since.

In 1980 , we purchased the 1st Beckett Football price guide. Upon going through the guide I saw a 1956 Parkhurst Football set and card number 33 was Calvin Jones. I was born and raised in Steubenville, Ohio, and Calvin was a star, the road to the stadium is Calvin Jones Way. He was on the 7th issue of Sports Illustrated, the first Afro-American, and in 1955 won the Outland Trophy for the University of Iowa. For various reasons he chose to play Football in Canada.

Following a successful rookie season, Calvin played in the East-West All Star game in Vancouver. He died in a tragic plane crash after playing in the Canadian Shrine Game, December 9 1956. He was headed home to try and attend the 1957 Rose Bowl game his friends were playing in for the Iowa Hawkeyes. His plane crashed in the side of Mt. Slesse. Calvin's number 62 is the only other jersey retired by the University of Iowa besides that of Nile Kinnick's number 24.

Today in the mail, after 35 years of searching, I let my father open the package, he didn't know what was in it other than I told him a surprise. It was my white whale, a 1956 Parkhurst Football Card Calvin Jones. It brought a smile to my fathers 85 year old face. This evening he took the card to the Booster's Club Meeting.

There are a total of three graded by PSA, and now WE have one. Collecting never gets old!

I'm speechless. That's one of the best collecting stories I've ever heard. I'm truly speechless. Congratulations on finding the card, and I'm so happy for you. I know how much this must mean to you and your father. Thank you for sharing a beautiful story. I'm stunned.

There is no feeling in the world like finding a white whale card.

• _EagleEyeKid__EagleEyeKid_ Posts: 273 ✭✭✭

Randy Rubel Jr.

• electrodeelectrode Posts: 212 ✭✭✭
    edited April 17, 2019 6:18AM

During the boom years of hockey card shows in the early nineties a seller opened up a wax pack of 1957 Parkhurst hockey cards he mentioned that he paid $100 for the pack he showed me a Henri Richard r.c. and it sure looked great, he wanted $200.00 Canadian,i thought it was to much so i turned the offer down, while driving home after the card show i thought to myself "what are you doing go back and buy the card,to late it was sold,i am now retired and with lesser funds i will never have a chance to buy a raw card this card again let alone a highly graded one.

@electrode said:
    During the boom years of hockey card shows in the early nineties a seller opened up a wax pack of 1957 Parkhurst hockey cards he mentioned that he paid $100 for the pack he showed me a Henri Richard r.c. and it sure looked great, he wanted $200.00 Canadian,i thought it was to much so i turned the offer down, while driving home after the card show i thought to myself "what are you doing go back and buy the card,to late it was sold,i am now retired and with lesser funds i will never have a chance to buy this card again.

I feel your pain. There are a few cards out there that I would love to have, but it's just not going to happen. I live on a tight budget, and it's just not possible. I just try to find cards that I can afford that make me happy. Like last month I finally found a 1983 Uno racing Darrell Waltrip card. I had been searching for this card for years, and finally found one I could afford. One popped up on Ebay for $38.00.

• craig44craig44 Posts: 10,393 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BigRed7 said:

I started buying cards before I can remember, my father took me to my first card show in Willow Grove in 1976, I was thirteen. We have continued to collect since.

In 1980 , we purchased the 1st Beckett Football price guide. Upon going through the guide I saw a 1956 Parkhurst Football set and card number 33 was Calvin Jones. I was born and raised in Steubenville, Ohio, and Calvin was a star, the road to the stadium is Calvin Jones Way. He was on the 7th issue of Sports Illustrated, the first Afro-American, and in 1955 won the Outland Trophy for the University of Iowa. For various reasons he chose to play Football in Canada.

Following a successful rookie season, Calvin played in the East-West All Star game in Vancouver. He died in a tragic plane crash after playing in the Canadian Shrine Game, December 9 1956. He was headed home to try and attend the 1957 Rose Bowl game his friends were playing in for the Iowa Hawkeyes. His plane crashed in the side of Mt. Slesse. Calvin's number 62 is the only other jersey retired by the University of Iowa besides that of Nile Kinnick's number 24.

Today in the mail, after 35 years of searching, I let my father open the package, he didn't know what was in it other than I told him a surprise. It was my white whale, a 1956 Parkhurst Football Card Calvin Jones. It brought a smile to my fathers 85 year old face. This evening he took the card to the Booster's Club Meeting.

There are a total of three graded by PSA, and now WE have one. Collecting never gets old!

That is a great story and what the hobby is all about. I wish I could have seen the look on your dad's face

George Brett, Bobby Orr and Terry Bradshaw.

• lawyer05lawyer05 Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭✭

@BigRed7 said:

thats awesome !!!! smile on your dad worth more than any mickey mantle

@1951WheatiesPremium said:
    I love telling this story.

I collect the 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos (henceforth, WPP). I may be the only one but how many sets feature a 1951 Mickey Mantle rookie card? Bowman is the only one I know of and with just 211 total PSA graded cards from the WPP, their murky origins and my childhood obsession with all things Mickey Mantle I made it a mission to one day own one. I picked up several others from the set (over many years) and I now do own a Mantle (a PSA 6) but once I had the first one in hand all those years ago in hand, I knew immediately that I wanted them all, not just Mickey. Over the years, I read every auction catalog listing, researched the heck out of the set, and created the first full and correct checklist - 12 cards. Of the 12, four prove to be very elusive - Betty Schalow, Ben Hogan, Phil Rizzuto and Jack Kramer. I sort of just lucked into Hogan and Schalow over the years. Ben Hogan being the impetus for me bringing my research to PSA and they graciously worked with me and now grade the full 12 card set (10 prior). At this point, I had the number two set on the Registry but was stuck on 10 cards. Since there was only one PSA Rizzuto and zero PSA Jack Kramer’s (still the case) and I had exhausted just about every search there was, I had little hope of completing the set. Then, one day two years ago, I decided to join these forums, write about my favorite set and share it with the folks around here - it really is my favorite and it’s one of those items that blows people away in hand and just has a very cool murky history and a 1951 Mantle card.

So one day, truly out of the blue, I get an email with the subject line ‘Wheaties Rizzuto’, I open the email and see this.

The note attached basically said:

Hey, I saw you collect this set on the PSA Forums; want it?

When I woke up three days later, I responded, overpaid, and about a month and half later, Phil was slabbed.

The cherry on top of this delicious little sundae is the fact that at the time, Phil also pushed me into first place on the Registry for the WPP.

And so, thanks to these very forums, one of the rarest and most elusive cards around found me.

I still sail the seas looking for a Jack Kramer, so the hunt lives on, but the landing of Rizzuto is a whale of a story...

Beautiful story. I love it when a white whale is finally caught. I hope you find the Jack Kramer someday. Thanks for sharing.

• Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was born and raised in Steubenville, Ohio

What a nice story - thanx for sharing.

I graduated from Franciscan University - Steubenville in 1973. Seems like a lifetime ago.

Mike

I currently have 10 or so white whales swimming around

Wow Jason - that's a lotta fish!

If a whale is based on price point? Mine would be the T3 Cobb - very expensive.

Mike

@Stone193 said:

I currently have 10 or so white whales swimming around

Wow Jason - that's a lotta fish!

If a whale is based on price point? Mine would be the T3 Cobb - very expensive.

I actually have more than 10, but I am focusing on about 10 right now. I check the ocean, aka Ebay, everyday to see if one might surface.

• ahopkinsahopkins Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭✭✭

Check Kijiji!!!

Andy

• akuracy503akuracy503 Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭
    edited April 17, 2019 3:22PM

Source T206 museum .com

CU Ancient Members badge member.

Collection: https://flickr.com/photos/185200668@N06/albums

• BigRed7BigRed7 Posts: 245 ✭✭✭

@Stone193 said:

I graduated from Franciscan University - Steubenville in 1973. Seems like a lifetime ago.

What a small world, I was up on the campus today watching High School Baseball. The campus has really changed, where are you from originally? When was the last time you were in Steubenville?

@akuracy503 said:

Source T206 museum .com

Every time I see the T206, I am just speechless. What a masterpiece.

@BigRed7 said:

@Stone193 said:

What a small world, I was up on the campus today watching High School Baseball. The campus has really changed, where are you from originally? When was the last time you were in Steubenville?

Haven't been back since 1973 - went to Columbia U afterwards - I still support the college.

I know the school has changed - more students - have no idea about the town.

Just know they had 2 FB teams - Big Red and Catholic Central (I think that was it's name)

FB was supreme in those days - Big Red would have a game and the whole world showed up for it!

Used to get my favorite cheap meal at Naples - called the heel - and a place called Pimpy Johns - a great sausage sandwich or ham and cheese for 50 cents!

Steubenville is a great city - alive and well until the mill shut down in Weirton I believe?

Mike
  • yankeesmanyankeesman Posts: 940 ✭✭✭✭

About four years ago I started collecting the autographs of all the Topps Rookie Cup winners on their rookie cup cards. I'm just over 80% complete of the group of over 600 but the one that keeps eluding me is the 1971 Topps Thurman Munson. It would make sense that this would be pretty tough but I've seen two PSA graded examples in auctions and been outbid both times at what I would have thought would have been safe top bids. One day maybe I'll be able to snag one. Here's a pic of the most recent to auction in December of last year.

Don Mattingly, Yogi Berra, Thurman Munson, Brian McCann and Topps Rookie Cup autograph collector
    www.questfortherookiecup.com

@yankeesman said:
    About four years ago I started collecting the autographs of all the Topps Rookie Cup winners on their rookie cup cards. I'm just over 80% complete of the group of over 600 but the one that keeps eluding me is the 1971 Topps Thurman Munson. It would make sense that this would be pretty tough but I've seen two PSA graded examples in auctions and been outbid both times at what I would have thought would have been safe top bids. One day maybe I'll be able to snag one. Here's a pic of the most recent to auction in December of last year.

Beautiful card. I'm rooting for you. I hope you find it, because I can see how much it means to you.

Curse thee, 2000 Czech Stadion Carl Lewis! One day ! 20 degrees to the starboard side Mr. Starbuck! Onward we sail!

edited April 26, 2019 4:58PM

Ladies and gentlemen, my wife is going to absolutely kill me, but I just captured one of my biggest white whales. A 1971 Shindana toys Joe Louis card. I have searched high and low for this card for YEARS, and I'll just be damned if it didn't just pop up on Ebay at around 7:30 p.m. eastern time today. Forum members and distinguished guests, this is a scolding, that I will be happy to take from my wife. Cheers!🍻🍻🍻🍻🍻🍻🍻🍻

• mrmoparmrmopar Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭✭

That would truly be a definition for me as well. I have not looked for one in years, but figure even if found, I would not be willing to spend what it would take to bring it home. I was offered an uncertified one by a seller I was pretty comfortable with many years back, but I want to say it was $1200-1500 at the time. I just couldn't pull the trigger at that amount. I was maybe willing to pay $500-600 and his asking price just deflated my hopes of ever owning one.

I had a chance to buy a 1980 Topps coin of Garvey. This was a test issue item and quite rare. I missed one on ebay years back that was in a lot of several coins and then even passed on an offer from the lot buyer, thinking he wanted too much for the single when he had just won a lot of them for not much more. My memoriy tells me it was around $100, but I can't be sure. I guess i really didn't realize how tought they were at that time and have regretted not going harder at the lot and/or accepting the offer from the new buyer. Oh well. Next chance, was this latest offer which came it at $1500. I would love to own one, but just couldn't justify paying that much for one. It is still a hobby for me first and foremost and although I could have afforded the purchase, it was just too much.

@yankeesman said:

I collect Steve Garvey, Dodgers and signed cards. Collector since 1978.
  • GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭

@akuracy503 said:

Source T206 museum .com

I shot that picture!

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

@Griffins said:

@akuracy503 said:

Source T206 museum .com

I shot that picture!

Amazing picture. Every time I see it, I am speechless.

• GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭

The Wagner was cool, but I always thought the Horner print next to it was the most interesting item. The entire collection was amazing, I probably spent 30 days there photographing it over several years. The cards were just one small part- and they had just about every card ever made.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

Mr. Starbuck, we have another white whale in our sights. Oh, this ocean called Ebay. We shall know if we have him Sunday at 10 p.m. Onward we sail men!

I said 30 degrees to the portside Mr. Starbuck! The white whale waits for no man! Onward we sail men!

• emaremar Posts: 697 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2, 2019 5:07PM

Aye aye captain! Show us ye prey! We shall bid!

• FINESTKINDFINESTKIND Posts: 374 ✭✭✭

@softparade said:
    LSD went out in the mid 70's

Flash backs ?

Man I love the message boards.😉

• FINESTKINDFINESTKIND Posts: 374 ✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:
    I said 30 degrees to the portside Mr. Starbuck! The white whale waits for no man! Onward we sail men!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvRYd8U7qGY

@FINESTKIND said:

@doubledragon said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvRYd8U7qGY

Oh Mama! Good stuff! A vast ye matee!

• lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭

@ahopkins said:
    I have a little story to tell.

That's awesome. I'm glad it worked out for you Andy. You plan on keeping the rack as is or busting it? Judging from the centering I'm guessing 9 on the Mattingly

• stevegarveyfanstevegarveyfan Posts: 578 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 1, 2019 7:41PM

@Griffins said:

@akuracy503 said:

Source T206 museum .com

I shot that picture!

Dang, just how old ARE you?

@ahopkins said:
    I have a little story to tell. About two weeks ago, I was sitting in my "card room," doing my usual reading of the CU forum posts and watching the Phillies. Neither were that compelling on this particular evening. I had run through eBay and checked all my traps, but nothing interesting there, either.

I don't know what made me think of it, but I suddenly decided to google that Canadian version of Craigslist, Kijiji, just for giggles.

Some of you know I've been hunting a 1984 O-Pee-Chee Mattingly in a PSA 10 for some time, so I punched into the Kijiji search this very criteria. What popped up? About three or four scrolls down the page, I encountered this:

The gentleman (I will call the seller "gentleman" because he deserves every syllable of it based on his kindness and sincerity) had the rack for sale at a fair price, and certainly not an unreasonable price. I contacted him and asked if he'd be willing to ship it to me across the border. He was reluctant. So I put my best foot forward and said that I'd pay full price plus whatever it took to ship the card here PLUS I'd send him the money via PayPal up front before he even stepped out the door to ship it.

I took a chance. What can I say? I've been hunting an 1984 OPC Mattingly rack for a long time. I was willing to take the risk because the reward was certainly worth it.

Well, after about a week of back and forth between me and this gentleman, he shipped it, and it arrived today. And it's a beauty. No tears, rips, holes, water damage, excessive wear, or questionable fakery. It's legit.

So, I guess Kijiji is alright. And the gentleman who sold it to me deserves a big shout out for being aboveboard and sending me the rack.

One white whale down, about two dozen to go.

That's a great story. I love stories like this.

• nam812nam812 Posts: 10,531 ✭✭✭✭✭

EagleEyeKid said:
    Randy Rubel Jr.

This post seemed to get lost in the shuffle of all the other posts.

• lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭

@nam812 said:

EagleEyeKid said:
    Randy Rubel Jr.

This post seemed to get lost in the shuffle of all the other posts.

• maddux69maddux69 Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭✭✭

How many white whales can one have? I have used the term before, but has it become watered down? My white whale is a 1993 Lykes Standard Greg Maddux. Like Moby Dick, this one was rumored to exist but it has never been verified nor any sightings known. I had spoken many times with a fellow Maddux supercollector and neither had seen one. He ended up finding one and now I am the owner after buying most of his collection. Now after having one for myself, my white whale search is over and there is not another one to fill the void. Sure there are other cards that I highly desire and out of my price range, but I would not classify them as true white whales. Maybe now that makes me a bad fisherman. :D

@maddux69 said:
    How many white whales can one have? I have used the term before, but has it become watered down? My white whale is a 1993 Lykes Standard Greg Maddux. Like Moby Dick, this one was rumored to exist but it has never been verified nor any sightings known. I had spoken many times with a fellow Maddux supercollector and neither had seen one. He ended up finding one and now I am the owner after buying most of his collection. Now after having one for myself, my white whale search is over and there is not another one to fill the void. Sure there are other cards that I highly desire and out of my price range, but I would not classify them as true white whales. Maybe now that makes me a bad fisherman. :D

I'm glad you found your white whale. If you are a Joe Louis card collector, then there are a ton of white whales. I will be fishing for the next 20 years.

• krisd3279krisd3279 Posts: 808 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2, 2019 11:15AM

This is no way qualifies as a white whale, but I am surprised at how hard it has been to find one. I have been looking for the 2019 Topps Grapefruit Mattingly with the 150 stamp on it. I have seen one on EBAY a few days after the release date, but I missed it. Recent card. Very cheap. Can't find one. It's the last Mattingly card I am missing in 2019 Topps besides some of the autos which go for a lot, but seem to be readily available.

Kris

My 1971 Topps adventure - Davis Men in Black

@maddux69 said:

One of my white whales is a manny Sanguillen bubblegumless Dayton daily 1971..have u seen her ?

• maddux69maddux69 Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2, 2019 12:00PM

@lawyer05 said:

@maddux69 said:

One of my white whales is a manny Sanguillen bubblegumless Dayton daily 1971..have u seen her ?

Of course I do! I've just been waiting for you to ask for it.

• ahopkinsahopkins Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2, 2019 12:11PM

@lawnmowerman said:
    You plan on keeping the rack as is or busting it? Judging from the centering I'm guessing 9 on the Mattingly

Thanks, Matt. This rack will stay intact for as long as I'm alive. I do not think the card would be graded any higher than a 9, as you pointed out. I did not go after it so aggressively with the intent to bust and grade; I went after it for the rack itself.

Andy

• WFFLWFFL Posts: 494 ✭✭✭

@Stone193 said:

@BigRed7 said:

@Stone193 said:

Haven't been back since 1973 - went to Columbia U afterwards - I still support the college.

I know the school has changed - more students - have no idea about the town.

Just know they had 2 FB teams - Big Red and Catholic Central (I think that was it's name)

FB was supreme in those days - Big Red would have a game and the whole world showed up for it!

Used to get my favorite cheap meal at Naples - called the heel - and a place called Pimpy Johns - a great sausage sandwich or ham and cheese for 50 cents!

Steubenville is a great city - alive and well until the mill shut down in Weirton I believe?

Interesting...both my daughters attended a retreat at Steubenville when they were teens. Bus departed from our church in Northern Indiana.

@maddux69 said:

One of my white whales is a manny Sanguillen bubblegumless Dayton daily 1971..have u seen her ?> @maddux69 said:

@lawyer05 said:

@maddux69 said:

Of course I do! I've just been waiting for you to ask for it.

Hahaha