• Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭

@stevegarveyfan said:

@Griffins said:

@akuracy503 said:

Source T206 museum .com

I shot that picture!

Dang, just how old ARE you?

Haha! I shot the picture of the card and the pack and the original photo. It all belonged to a friend, who sold his collection about '13

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

We really need a 'Absolutely Love' button for when 'Like' is a serious understatement.

@ahopkins said:
    but @LarkinCollector is working on it.

Shhhh, I need a March bulk to pop before this is public. o:)

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,937 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ahopkins said:
    The last couple of months have been good to me with regard to White Whales. First I randomly stumble across an OPC 1984 Mattingly rack on Kijiji of all places.

Then, about a month later, I'm sitting in our sun room, watching the sunrise around 6:00 AM, sipping coffee and checking eBay saved searches. I see one of my saved searches, "caesars calendar," is lit up, and so I get a little excited. It's not often a Caesar's calendar pops up. I open the new listings and I'm not surprised to see another 1973 Little Caesars Calendar. What I'm looking for, and what I've been looking for for years, is the 1974 Little Caesars Calendar which features the ultra rare Jack Nicklaus "card." Currently, PSA does not grade the "card," or any of the Little Caesars Calendar "cards," but @LarkinCollector is working on it.

I decide, feeling dejected upon seeing yet another Caesars Calendar from the wrong year, to Google "1974 Caesars Calendar" for some unknown reason. My search immediately yielded a direct hit. The calendar sat on the screen right in front of me, like it was some kind of repressed fantasy projected before my eyes to torture me. I entered several states of mind at once: shock, incredulousness, disappointment, euphoria, dizziness, and panic. The 1974 Little Caesars Calendar and I had a staring contest for about 4 seconds, at the end of which I clicked on the image, taking me to Amazon where, indeed, the calendar was for sale. I immediately hit "buy," but as I did I noticed the seller had a website on which she sold all of her items. I disregarded my Amazon cart and flew to the website where I found the item again but for $15 cheaper. Within seconds it was in my cart and purchased.

All of this took about 3 minutes, but it felt like an eternity. I was so anxious about the purchase that I called the store at exactly 9:00 AM, spoke directly to the proprietress, who confirmed the order, then pulled the calendar off her shelf as we spoke, and in her casual Michigan way, pleasantly wished me a good day.

A good day, indeed!!!

Congratulations on finding a mythical Jack Nicklaus card! I have heard about this card, so I am very familiar with it's rarity. I have never actually seen it until now. Thanks for letting us have a peek at it. Beautiful card.

• Options
    tulsaboytulsaboy Posts: 281 ✭✭✭

My white whale/unicorn would be an unopened sealed case of 1986 Topps jumbo cellos. I've never seen one, only a few random boxes and loose packs. I am pretty confident that it was a test for Topps, and thus got limited distribution. Same standard cards, just different packaging. So only interesting to a nerd like me.
    kevin

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,937 ✭✭✭✭✭

The USS Joseph Louis Barrow sails onward men! There is a White Whale on the horizon! Curse thee ye olde Moby Dick card!

• Options
    maddux69maddux69 Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭✭✭

@LarkinCollector said:
    We really need a 'Absolutely Love' button for when 'Like' is a serious understatement.

@ahopkins said:
    but @LarkinCollector is working on it.

Shhhh, I need a March bulk to pop before this is public. o:)

I don't know how I missed this before, but we received the dreaded N9 for the 1973 Trevino. With that being said, I think full front and back pictures of the calendars in their complete state will go a long way with PSA. I would do such and email the PSA research team, Cosetta would be the go to in order to make it happen.

• Options
    Air23GOATAir23GOAT Posts: 84 ✭✭✭

I had been after a Michael Jordan high school yearbook for awhile. I finally saw one for sale but someone bought it before I could get my hands on it. I am so glad that happened because the next one that surfaced was special. It was signed my Michael himself along with an inscription to a girl named Mary. Did I overpay? Yes. Yes I did. I would do it again. It's something I could see in a museum. It is now a centerpiece in my collection.
    So I guess you could say this was a white whale of mine that I didn't know existed. It just sort of landed in my boat.

I'm all about that Jordan stuff. Cards, stickers, posters & whatever else is cool. The rarer the better. And always in a PSA 10 if I can help it.
    Any other big Jordan nuts out there let me know.

• Options
    Bear48Bear48 Posts: 239 ✭✭✭

@ahopkinsahopkins - Does PSA grade the Little Caesars All-Star Trading Cards (Hand Cut)?

Nice calendar! Congrats!!

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

It was signed my Michael himself along with an inscription to a girl named Mary.

Wow!

Congratulations.

Mike
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just nailed one of my greatest desires since 1992 when I went to the National in Atlanta.

Will save till it comes in!

Mike