Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Another tough as nails toned early commem to find with color sails in...

BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited March 2, 2019 8:49PM in U.S. Coin Forum

The 1924 Huguenot has always been hard for toning enthusiasts to locate since this issue was not accompanied with any sort of cardboard mailer or box. It took me about 5 years of living with a slight golden toned example until I found a more colorful sea foam green example much like this in the early 90's. Back then like today you would mostly just see white or crusty rimmed golden browns. The peripheral toned examples seen today IMHO had been placed in Wayte Raymond holders to color up over the last couple decades once a few gem Huguenots fetched 5 figures with color. It's been quite a few years since I've seen a sea foam green example which I feel are envelope toned as the last one I had member @erickso1 to snap up for his collection. Designed by George Morgan the Huguenot commem is stuck somewhat low relief when compared to the ship on the reverse of the 1920/21 Pilgrim issue. The luster is very satiny instead of cartwheel. On this example I like how the faces, beards, and ruffled collar pop being non toned. Housed in a older PCGS holder with a CAC sticker for those who can't enjoy a coin without knowing about all the additional gingerbread. You can supersize the photo by clicking on it.

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!

Comments

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file