Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Central States 2019 Report

U1chicagoU1chicago Posts: 5,722 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just some general thoughts:

~I haven't been attending shows as long as many of you (this was my 4th consecutive Central States show)...based on my other trips, I didn't notice a big difference in terms of overall quality compared to prior years (another report mentioned that this was the worst CS show; it might be, but for me it was just as good as the last few)

~There were more world & ancient coin dealers compared to prior years...this is likely because the strictly world/ancient show that used to happen in early April (sometimes in Rosemont, other times in the Downtown area) was canceled this year (so some of those dealers probably decided to do this show instead)

~I didn't have much interaction with the world coin dealers, but did see some very cool items (including a good amount-relative to prior years-of Mexican and other Latin American coins)

~I also noticed a few more currency only dealers compared to prior years

~There was the usual amount of bullion, but I didn't notice many sales (it could have been moving, but not during the moments that I was passing by those tables)....the last two years there have been slight upticks in gold spot around the time of the show, but this year the price is relatively flat/slightly lower (over the last month or two) so that could mean less excitement for metals

~It was nice to meet and make a deal with @Toningintheblood ...I told him someone would question the old $100 bill he gave me as part of the deal and I was right! :D ...another dealer gave it a sound look-over but did accept it as payment :)

~I was happy to sell a few coins...some are hard to photograph (toners) and so it can be easier to sell when people see how nice they look in-hand

~I had a record buying day for one show: 4 coins from four different dealers (yes my record is pretty low due to a combination of some high prices and me being more selective with the coins I buy)....interestingly enough I resold 2 of those 4 coins (I would have been happy to keep both, but they helped facilitate some combo deals for items I wanted to move)

~This was probably a first for me: a dealer that was NGC only (it was world coins though)

~As usual there was a wide spread of prices between dealers on toners (something I focus on); a few dealers had some fair prices (close to what I'd expect to see those coins go for in auctions) while others were in a different stratosphere (multiples over comparable sales or high-end pricing for mid to low-end color)

~I like to look for oddball slabs and did see a few at this show (including an old PCI in the rectangular photo-slab as well as a Hallmark-that one came home with me :) )

~I saw a few big ticket items...the "Supernova" $20 gold didn't impress me much, but a Proof Hawaiian issue looked very nice to my eye

Overall, it was another good show for me. It's fun to walk around, browse, buy, sell, and take in the coin atmosphere.

Comments

• Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,012 ✭✭✭✭✭

My coin of town Chicago is my coin of town!

theknowitalltroll;
  • Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was at the show today as well. Hope you enjoyed yourself!

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks.

• Options

Here are some pictures of the free items (everyone loves those right :D )...and anyone else enjoy those coasters with coins on them?

• Options

@Boosibri said:
    I was at the show today as well. Hope you enjoyed yourself!

A day at the coin show is always something I enjoy. :)
    Even when I don't find anything, I can still enjoy browsing (it's like going to a museum).

• Options
    PhilLynottPhilLynott Posts: 881 ✭✭✭✭✭

Any pictures of the new pickups?

Glad I had you ship that 2R btw I wasn't able to make it today and am going tomorrow instead.

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for your show report @U1chicago.

The oblong token has 80th.

The coaster has 81st.

The website has 80th.
    https://www.centralstatesnumismaticsociety.org/

So is that an error toaster? :D:)

• Options

@PhilLynott said:
    Any pictures of the new pickups?

Glad I had you ship that 2R btw I wasn't able to make it today and am going tomorrow instead.

I'll post the pictures soon.
    And I'm glad it worked out for the best with the 2R. I saw some other nice Mexican coins at the show (and some PLs from Guatemala and a few other Central American/South American nations). I wasn't in the market for any, so I'm not sure what the pricing was, but I think you'll find some nice items tomorrow (both world and US).

• Options

@Hemispherical said:
    Thanks for your show report @U1chicago.

The oblong token has 80th.

The coaster has 81st.

The website has 80th.
    https://www.centralstatesnumismaticsociety.org/

So is that an error toaster? :D:)

Unfortunately not an error (well maybe if I stick it on the bay it'll become an error :D )
    The coaster says 81st because it's advertising next year's show (2020). It says that on the other side which I did not take a picture of.

• Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,083 ✭✭✭✭✭

thanks for the report!
    Beautiful textile toning on the Morgan!!

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,751 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice report. I like your toned Morgan. Some prices that dealers have on those are wishful thinking consignment prices. Stop by table 804 Friday if you're there.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the report and the mention of bullion movement... typical... slow when market is down or flat... then buyers rush in when prices rise.... :D:p I have noted more mentions of world and ancient coin tables at shows this year....There seems to be increasing interest in those areas... Perhaps more reasonable pricing? Cheers, RickO

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭✭✭

As my family was from the mid-west, but we haven't really been there since moving east, question: do you find that the Central States show has a mid-west "feel" or influence? Or has the mass culture and media made shows around the country, whether the deep south, west coast, east coast fairly uniform in format and culture?

• Options
    ElmerFusterpuckElmerFusterpuck Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice report, one show that I've never been too. And thinks for keeping the report about the show/coins and not about the politics of the location (oh, Chicago is the..., taxes, and so on).

• Options
    KellenCoinKellenCoin Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the report! Can we see the hallmark slab?
    Kellen

CCAC Representative of the General Public
    Columnist for The Numismatist
    2021 Young Numismatist of the Year

• Options

@logger7 said:
    As my family was from the mid-west, but we haven't really been there since moving east, question: do you find that the Central States show has a mid-west "feel" or influence? Or has the mass culture and media made shows around the country, whether the deep south, west coast, east coast fairly uniform in format and culture?

Maybe someone else can help answer this question as I’ve only been to shows in Illinois.

I would guess that most of the bigger shows are fairly uniform, especially since many of the dealers are the same. The smaller (local) shows are probably where one would see more of a difference between regions.

• Options
    DrPeteDrPete Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭

Show was slow for foot traffic on Wednesday. Better yesterday. I am amazed how lower prices seem to depress sales. Perhaps there is concern for even lower prices. This seems like a great time to be buying with some great coins to be had.

Dr. Pete
  • Options

@ricko said:
    Thanks for the report and the mention of bullion movement... typical... slow when market is down or flat... then buyers rush in when prices rise.... :D:p I have noted more mentions of world and ancient coin tables at shows this year....There seems to be increasing interest in those areas... Perhaps more reasonable pricing? Cheers, RickO

I believe there is a growing interest in world coins from US collectors that are looking to branch out. There is a lot more variety and low mintage coins can be acquired for prices relatively lower than US equivalents. Plus, quite a few world coins have US connections (including some being minted here and some circulating here in the colonial era).

As far as world coin pricing at shows, some dealers do still price items on the high side, but there are more chances to cherry pick good coins (especially from dealers that don’t specialize in world coins). For example, I was able to buy two French coins at a show last year for a great price since the dealer didn’t know much about them and just wanted to move the coins (I didn’t know much about those two either, but they were Silver, had a nice design, and were slabbed). So I knew it was worth the small amount he was asking (and after researching them when I got back home, it was verified as a good deal).

• Options
    edited April 26, 2019 7:01AM

Hallmark slab (the coin isn’t too bad either :D):

• Options
    littlebearlittlebear Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭✭

Awesome toned Morgan!

Autism Awareness: There is no limit to the good you can do, if you don't care who gets the credit.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file