Home U.S. Coin Forum

Show me your 1927 Vermont half dollars!

In my opinion, the 1927 Vermont is underrated in terms of beauty compared to other Early Commemoratives. I love the mountain lion on the reverse. That cat is shredded and ripped, he must be on some quality steroids!

Comments

• HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MrMonkeySwag96 I like the reverses pic of the mountain lion. Artists was able to portray the sleekness and strength of that feline. Thanks for sharing!

• MrMonkeySwag96MrMonkeySwag96 Posts: 118 ✭✭✭

@Hemispherical said:
    @MrMonkeySwag96 I like the reverses pic of the mountain lion. Artists was able to portray the sleekness and strength of that feline. Thanks for sharing!

The US Mint originally thought of producing a Quarter Eagle with this design. It would be cool if the Mint went ahead with their plans

• HoledandCreativeHoledandCreative Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭✭✭

edited April 16, 2019 11:15PM

@HoledandCreative I dig the soldered example (top)

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have always liked the reverse of this coin... Though the mountain lion depicted is more the image of the jaguar... Much more muscular than mountain lions/pumas/cougars - all terms for the same cat. Cheers, RickO

@CommemDude @BG Posts I love seeing Early Commens in their original packaging!

edited April 17, 2019 9:29PM

@ricko said:
    I have always liked the reverse of this coin... Though the mountain lion depicted is more the image of the jaguar... Much more muscular than mountain lions/pumas/cougars - all terms for the same cat. Cheers, RickO

You got a good point. Jaguars are really strong for their size. I believe Jaguars exert a stronger bite force than African Lions. Pumas look quite lean in most pictures I've seen. On average, Jaguars outweigh Pumas.

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,411 ✭✭✭✭✭

theres some nice toners in there as well. I like

• HallcoHallco Posts: 3,622 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 18, 2019 11:15AM

This thread is a good example of what I was talking about in another thread recently. I haven't given a second thought to this coin most of my time collecting...but after seeing all of these great photos...I now want one! :) I guess based on my own self imposed rule I have to give it a week and see if it is still there! :D

• SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭✭✭

Careful, Classic Commems are very habit forming.

@Smudge said:
    Careful, Classic Commems are very habit forming.

I was addicted to Classic Commems for a while. In fact, there was a year in which all I bought were Classic Commems. I own 13 of the 50 types. Nowadays, I'm just focused on my US Type Set.

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,614 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 19, 2019 11:10AM

@RogerB said:
    Here's a photo of clay models for three reverse designs by Keck. Notice improvement of the horizontal cougar design by avoiding extraneous mottoes.

[Smithsonian Archives of American Art]

Actually, I don't consider the lower left design to be an improvement. It's not worse, either. The mottoes do not, to my eye, distract.

I do kind of like the crouched catamount at lower right.

• pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭✭✭

Davewesen you beat me to it. Now I'll have to find my holed one to post later o:)

• RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

Clutter vs clarity.

@RogerB said:
    Clutter vs clarity.

Clutter isn't always bad. The Texas and Bay Bridge have cluttered designs that I find appealing

@RogerB said:
    Here's a photo of clay models for three reverse designs by Keck. Notice improvement of the horizontal cougar design by avoiding extraneous mottoes.

[Smithsonian Archives of American Art]

It would be nice if Keck went with the crouching/pouncing cougar design. I don't mind the clutter

Many seem to like the cougar on the right, as do I. It has movement, animation, compared to the nearly static pose in the adopted design. Adding the same mottoes to the right hand design would ruin it. As for the left design, adding mottoes just crowds and clutters the view - all to no artistic purpose. This is one reason artists preferred medal commissions to those for coins. (Medal commissions also paid better and were much more profitable for sponsors.)

edited April 19, 2019 3:14PM

Here are Keck's plaster models for the coin. Compare to coin and medal photos, above.

• BGBG Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have this this item in my collection that's associated:

photo VermontCommObv_05.jpg

photo VermontComm_Combo1A.jpg

• crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,776 ✭✭✭✭✭

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,776 ✭✭✭✭✭

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭✭✭

The US Mint originally thought of producing a Quarter Eagle with this design. It would be cool if the Mint went ahead with their plans

A quarter Eagle with the Reverse design would be right up there with the Pan Pac quarter Eagle

• lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,691 ✭✭✭✭✭

cat of four names

LCoopie = Les

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file