Home U.S. Coin Forum

229 years ago today

1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

229 years ago today, Ben Franklin died. - Post a Franklin Half :smile:

The only one that I own :smile:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

Comments

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,896 ✭✭✭✭✭

I believe he is buried just across the street from the current Philadelphia mint.

All glory is fleeting.
  • WinLoseWinWinLoseWin Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭✭✭

"To Be Esteemed Be Useful" - 1792 Birch Cent --- "I personally think we developed language because of our deep need to complain." - Lily Tomlin

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

If only we had comparable intellects such as Franklin and Jefferson in government today...Cheers, RickO

• CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 17, 2019 10:35AM

:)

• SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ifthevamzarockin said:
    Sorry I'm at work and this is the best I can come up with. :D

Looks like Stonewall Franklin.

• ECHOESECHOES Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭✭✭

~HABE FIDUCIAM IN DOMINO III V VI / III XVI~
    POST NUBILA PHOEBUS / AFTER CLOUDS, SUN
    Love for Music / Collector of Dreck
  • 1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

@koynekwest said:

I don't care for toned coins, but I can see where many would like that coin, very nice :smile:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

• koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1630Boston said:

@koynekwest said:

I don't care for toned coins, but I can see where many would like that coin, very nice :smile:

Thanks! Color coins are my passion of late.

• airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,881 ✭✭✭✭✭

@291fifth said:
    I believe he is buried just across the street from the current Philadelphia mint.

Correct

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • COCollectorCOCollector Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭✭✭

Successful BST transactions with forum members thebigeng, SPalladino, Zoidmeister, coin22lover, coinsarefun, jwitten, CommemKing.

• BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,284 ✭✭✭✭✭

At first, I thought you were giving me a birthday thread, but I damn sure ain't no 229 years old!!!!
    (even if I look it :( )

Then, I see it is a death thread....now, I'm glad it isn't mine..... ;)

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• FullHornFullHorn Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭✭✭

• TiborTibor Posts: 3,197 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SanctionII I always enjoy seeing those sets!!

• SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,660 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tibor.

Thanks for the props.

Proof Franklins with frosted devices on both sides and mirrored fields can still be found raw in the wild at a cost much lower than slabbed coins. However it takes time an effort to find suitable examples of these coins, particularly the dates other than 1956 (Type 2), 1962 and 1963. For the 1950-1954 dates finding raw coins with two sided frost on the devices and mirrored fields that have positive eye appeal is difficult as most are hairlined, marked and/or possess ugly toning.

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,427 ✭✭✭✭✭

The 1949-S Franklin has been the #1 coin in the set at one time or another, but not now.

This is labeled "Cameor"

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • LJenkins11LJenkins11 Posts: 723 ✭✭✭✭✭

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,427 ✭✭✭✭✭

I read a reprint article from a 1948 issue of The Numismatist that there was a dinner and celebration hosted by Mint Director Nellie Tayloe Ross which marked the introduction of the Franklin Half Dollar. Each guest received a 1948 half dollar mounted on a card at the end of the event. I have never seen nor heard of any of these cards coming on the market or even heard of one in any museum’s holdings. Has anyone ever seen one of these pieces?

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • 1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

On April 29, 1948, the eve of nationwide distribution, the Franklin half dollar made its debut at the Franklin Institute in Philadelphia. Two hundred guests attended a reception and dinner. Each guest received a place card to which was affixed one of the coins. Mint Director Nellie Tayloe Ross autographed the cards.

"For a coin as important as the 50-cent piece, the Commission recommends a limited competition in which some of the ablest medallists of the country would be invited to participate. What Saint-Gaudens, Fraser, Weinman and MacNeil have accomplished in producing notable designs for coins that are acknowledged as works of art, could be repeated in this instance."

Ross presented the Franklin Institute with President Harry Truman's gift of two Franklin half dollars embedded in plastic. Dr. Henry Butler Allen, executive vice president and secretary of the Institute, accepted the gift as a permanent exhibit.

"The coinage act empowers the director of the Mint to change the design of any coin, with the approval of the Secretary of the Treasury, but specifies that a change may not be made more often than once in 25 years, and then it is not mandatory," Ross had said at the banquet. Few people at the 1948 commemorative dinner would have guessed that the Franklin half dollar, introduced with great fanfare, would fall far short of the statutory life. Special legislation killed the design and replaced it with the Kennedy half dollar in 1964.

fantastic PCGS article here https://www.pcgs.com/News/The-Franklin-Half-Dollar/

• HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1630Boston Thanks for the info on the Franklin half. Learning.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file