Home Sports Talk

Wentz not healed- Eagles need a QB with their 1st pick

hammer1hammer1 Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 15, 2019 2:50PM in Sports Talk

Not looking good for Wentz. Been 7 months.

Wentz first appeared on the team's injury report in October. The stress fracture was discovered in December through a scan. At the time, coach Doug Pederson said it was an injury that could take about three months to heal. It has been four months since those comments.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/26531222/eagles-wentz-says-stress-fracture-healing

Comments

• stevekstevek Posts: 27,571 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well if Carson Wentz never plays another game, Eagles fans will always be thankful that he helped the Eagles win a Super Bowl. Even though Nick Foles won the Super Bowl game, Wentz's remarkable performance up until his ACL tear, put the Eagles in an advantageous playoff situation for Foles to be able to excel.

But of course Wentz will be ready for the Eagles opener this upcoming season. We shall see how he holds up. I remain cautiously optimistic.

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,339 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think it was a huge mistake letting Foles go, the smart play would have been to trade damaged goods ( Wentz ) and commit to one Nicholas Foles

@erikthredd said:
    The Eagles should trade for Nick Foles.

That's funny, but still I'm not counting out Carson Wentz by any means.

I think he could be sitting on a monster season coming up. The new NFL rules protecting QB's will particularly be helpful for an injury prone QB such as Wentz.

• erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,088 ✭✭✭✭✭

@erikthredd said:

Two first round picks, Joel Embiid, the Liberty Bell and a couple game worn Bryce Harper headbands should get that deal done.

@erikthredd said:

@erikthredd said:

Two first round picks, Joel Embiid, the Liberty Bell and a couple game worn Bryce Harper headbands should get that deal done.

Now that wasn't funny. ;)

@stevek said:

@erikthredd said:

I think he could be sitting on a monster season coming up. The new NFL rules protecting QB's will particularly be helpful for an injury prone QB such as Wentz.

Here in NE we've seen both Larry Bird and Gronk have their pro careers shortened because of recurring back problems. They should just sit Wentz until he's as close to 100% as possible especially if they really think he's their future.

• bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

But SteveK checked him out and said he was fine

@bronco2078 said:

That’s Dr SteveK 🤣

• CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:
    I think it was a huge mistake letting Foles go, the smart play would have been to trade damaged goods ( Wentz ) and commit to one Nicholas Foles

Another 30 years in purgatory for the Eagles.

@Coinstartled said:

@perkdog said:

I definitely wouldn’t go that far, they still have a solid core of players. Wentz might be fine, big maybe though. Dallas should challenge them for the division this season, I actually give Dallas more than a good chance of taking it.

@erikthredd said:

@stevek said:

@erikthredd said:

Here in NE we've seen both Larry Bird and Gronk have their pro careers shortened because of recurring back problems. They should just sit Wentz until he's as close to 100% as possible especially if they really think he's their future.

I completely agree with ya.

I'm not sure if I posted this here or on another forum, but I stated that I truly wouldn't have minded if Wentz sat out the entire 2018 season. I mean the Eagles were coming off a glorious Super Bowl championship, Wentz was obviously a huge part of it, and there is no conceivable way the Eagles would have gotten there without Wentz.

So why jeopardize the future? Throw away the 2018 season, and let Wentz come back as strong as possible for 2019. But of course it's spilled milk now.

So moving forward, at the very least I don't want to see Carson Wentz involved in a single pre-season game. But I doubt if they will do that either.

@perkdog said:

@bronco2078 said:

That’s Dr SteveK 🤣

The practice of observing Perkies is my specialty. ;)

@Coinstartled said:

@perkdog said:

We could handle it. It was 57 years before. :|

• hammer1hammer1 Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭

is shipping included in the bid?

@galaxy27 said:

Ginger Ail

Perfect nickname for the guy

@galaxy27 said:
    i commend the collective efforts to bring Nick Foles back to Philly for like the 10th time. i'd personally like to contribute to the cause, because i'd hate to see the Eagles go 3-13 next season with Ginger Ail at the helm. in addition to two first rounders, Joel Embiid, the Liberty Bell, and a couple of Bryce Harper headbands, i'd like to sweeten the deal by donating this mini nerf ball signed by Wilbert Montgomery circa 1981. sure, there are chunks of foam missing, but that should be completely offset by the fact that he graphed it in pink. i have more boxes to sift through, but i'm almost positive that i also have a game used jock strap from Mike Quick, a nude 16 X 20 of Bradley Cooper, and a signed copy of Lenny Dykstra's book, How my speed and quickness on the basepaths availed me every time I dropped the bar of soap.

I bet Uncle Rico can throw that bad boy over them mountains. Maybe we should send his combine video to the Eagles:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMj2eEvPLOM

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,427 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 16, 2019 7:35PM

Unfortunately Wentz was a flash in the pan. He had a great part of a season, he’s proving to be too delicate to be a reliable quarterback in the NFL. Many Eagles fans seem to obsessed with that piece of a great season that he had, but it’s time to move on, if you want the team to win. It’s too bad Foles is gone, but it was to be expected.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BillJones said:
    Unfortunately Wentz was a flash in the pan. He had a great part of a season, he’s proving to be too delicate to be a reliable quarterback in the NFL. Many Eagles fans seem to obsessed with that piece of a great season that had, but it’s time to move on, if you want the team to win. It’s too bad Foles is gone, but it was to be expected.

I completely agree. I always thought he was over rated...…..sorry Steve. He was very good for a while, but never great.

This upcoming season is a make or break for Wentz. If he plays well and stays on the field then it’s possible he could be their franchise QB for awhile and keep the Eagles somewhat competitive albeit it’s a long shot.

I'm not trying to gloss over the injury situation with Carson Wentz. But in his first three seasons in the league, during the regular season in which there were 48 games, he has played in 40 of them.

This is no Ryan Leaf here. Wentz has a big heart and that's not debatable. Along with superb talent.

I think there are a combination of things which could lead Wentz to have a monstrous season in 2019.

The new QB protection rules will certainly help to avoid injury.

Wentz will be a second season removed from the ACL tear in 2017, which can take that long to fully heal.

The Eagles now have DeSean Jackson back which gives them a deep threat which Wentz never really had before.

Wentz two seasons ago in 2017, played at an MVP level, and was the strong favorite to win the MVP before the ACL tear. If he stays healthy this season, I believe Wentz not only has a good chance at the MVP award, but could even run away with it.

Even with The new QB protection rules if he takes a legal or illegal helmet to the back form a 300 lb DL he's done.

@hammer1 said:
    Even with The new QB protection rules if he takes a legal or illegal helmet to the back form a 300 lb DL he's done.

No doubt in some situations in some games, some defensive players are going to do that, and take the 15 yard penalty, just to try to rattle Carson Wentz.

@hammer1 said:

No doubt in some situations in some games, some defensive players are going to do that, and take the 15 yard penalty, just to try to rattle Carson Wentz.

I’m always amazed that teams don’t suit up a goon for a game to take out Brady’s knees

@perkdog said:

@hammer1 said:

I’m always amazed that teams don’t suit up a goon for a game to take out Brady’s knees

Teams of course used to do that many years ago.

I think it started with Joe Namath who had terrible knees. The league and all the players understood that the NFL was more valuable, and hence themselves were more valuable and they'd get paid more, if superstar players like Namath stayed as healthy as possible in the league. A guy like Namath always generated huge fan interest.

At some point it became a "gentlemen's agreement" back then, that no defensive player would go after Joe's knees. and to my knowledge that held up.

It wouldn't surprise me if in defensive player meetings the same thing is done with Tom Brady. The coaches warn the players not to do that. Yes, hit Brady hard and rattle him when possible, but don't go after his knees.

Coaches may even do that with every quarterback these days, which frankly in my opinion is a good idea.

Yea I actually think your right Steve, I think the entire NFL would blackball a team if they did that, in today’s age of information there is zero question that if a team did that it would come out and all parties involved would be put on front street

edited April 17, 2019 10:26AM

@stevek said:

@perkdog said:

@hammer1 said:

I think it started with Joe Namath who had terrible knees. The league and all the players understood that the NFL was more valuable, and hence themselves were more valuable and they'd get paid more, if superstar players like Namath stayed as healthy as possible in the league. A guy like Namath always generated huge fan interest.

At some point it became a "gentlemen's agreement" back then, that no defensive player would go after Joe's knees. and to my knowledge that held up.

It wouldn't surprise me if in defensive player meetings the same thing is done with Tom Brady. The coaches warn the players not to do that. Yes, hit Brady hard and rattle him when possible, but don't go after his knees.

Coaches may even do that with every quarterback these days, which frankly in my opinion is a good idea.

Read this a long time ago:

A NY cop watches Joe Willie (the womanizer) leaving a downtown NY hotel at 4:30AM on a game day- Sunday.

Figuring no sleep and hungover Joe would help the other team. He gets his bet into his bookie taking whichever visiting team was playing the Jets.

Cop lost his bet.

@hammer1 said:

@stevek said:

@perkdog said:

@hammer1 said:

True story:

A NY cop watches Joe Willie (the womanizer) leaving a downtown NY hotel at 4:30AM on a game day- Sunday.

Figuring no sleep and hungover Joe would help the other team. He gets his bet into his bookie taking whichever visiting team was playing the Jets.

Cop lost his bet.

I believe the story.

It's just another reason in the long, LONG, list of reasons why trying to make money betting on sports against sports bookies is fool's folly.

Anyone can try to gather any type of information to try to handicap the games. However nobody, often times not even the athletes themselves, knows for sure ahead of time how well they will perform.

@stevek said:

@hammer1 said:

@stevek said:

@perkdog said:

@hammer1 said:

True story:

Cop lost his bet.

I believe the story.

It's just another reason in the long, LONG, list of reasons why trying to make money betting on sports against sports bookies is fool's folly.

Anyone can try to gather any type of information to try to handicap the games. However nobody, often times not even the athletes themselves, knows for sure ahead of time how well they will perform.

And another reason to not care what these guys do on their personal time as long as they perform

@stevek said:

@perkdog said:

@hammer1 said:

Funny you should bring this up. I remember back when the Eagles had that JERK buddy ryan for a coach and he was putting bounties on certain Cowboy players. Remember that?

@DIMEMAN said:

@stevek said:

@perkdog said:

@hammer1 said:

Funny you should bring this up. I remember back when the Eagles had that JERK buddy ryan for a coach and he was putting bounties on certain Cowboy players. Remember that?

no way , nobody in football would do something like that. They are so noble and selfless. Each and every one of them is practically the pope

@DIMEMAN said:

@stevek said:

@perkdog said:

@hammer1 said:

But that did not include going after a QB's knees.

I watched most of the games when Buddy Ryan coached the Eagles, and don't recall any Eagles player going for a QB's knees.

@stevek said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@stevek said:

@perkdog said:

@hammer1 said:

I watched most of the games when Buddy Ryan coached the Eagles, and don't recall any Eagles player going for a QB's knees.

Ryan was still a scumbag of the worst kind!

@DIMEMAN said:

@stevek said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@stevek said:

@perkdog said:

@hammer1 said:

For the team he was on...players loved Buddy, fans loved Buddy...only opposing players and fans didn't love Buddy.

@stevek said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@stevek said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@stevek said:

@perkdog said:

@hammer1 said:

For the team he was on...players loved Buddy, fans loved Buddy...only opposing players and fans didn't love Buddy.

The coach for N.O. had to sit out a year for what Ryan did. I don't know why he got away with it!

Total SCUMBAG!!!!

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 17, 2019 9:14PM

@DIMEMAN said:

@stevek said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@stevek said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@stevek said:

@perkdog said:

@hammer1 said:

The coach for N.O. had to sit out a year for what Ryan did. I don't know why he got away with it!

Total SCUMBAG!!!!

I’m confused. Why did Payton have to sit out a whole year because of Buddy Ryan? Ryan never coached in NO at any capacity. Greg Williams was the defensive coordinator of the Saints during Bountygate

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......

@Justacommeman said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@stevek said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@stevek said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@stevek said:

@perkdog said:

@hammer1 said:

Total SCUMBAG!!!!

I’m confused. Why did Payton have to sit out a whole year because of Buddy Ryan ?Greg Williams was the defensive coordinator of the Saints during Bountygate

m

I guess when you are the boss you are responsible for the people under you. Sorta like the Penn State thing with Papa Joe.

@DIMEMAN said:

@Justacommeman said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@stevek said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@stevek said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@stevek said:

@perkdog said:

@hammer1 said:

Total SCUMBAG!!!!

I’m confused. Why did Payton have to sit out a whole year because of Buddy Ryan ?Greg Williams was the defensive coordinator of the Saints during Bountygate

m

I guess when you are the boss you are responsible for the people under you. Sorta like the Penn State thing with Papa Joe.

Buddy Ryan was never employed by the Saints so how was he the boss? What I’m I missing?

m

Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......

@Justacommeman said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@Justacommeman said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@stevek said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@stevek said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@stevek said:

@perkdog said:

@hammer1 said:

Total SCUMBAG!!!!

m

Buddy Ryan was never employed by the Saints so how was he the boss? What I’m I missing?

m

Come on Mark....you know exactly what I meant! Going back and reading it....it don't see a problem if you read it correctly. The key word is "correctly". ;)

@DIMEMAN said:

@stevek said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@stevek said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@stevek said:

@perkdog said:

@hammer1 said:

Total SCUMBAG!!!!

So why did Sean Payton have to sit out a year? What did Buddy Ryan have to do with it besides nothing? Joe Pa and Sandusky worked together and Joe was the boss. What does that have to do with Buddy Ryan and the Saints? There is no connection

m> @DIMEMAN said:

@Justacommeman said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@Justacommeman said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@stevek said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@stevek said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@stevek said:

@perkdog said:

@hammer1 said:

Total SCUMBAG!!!!

m

m

Come on Mark....you know exactly what I meant! Going back and reading it....it don't see a problem if you read it correctly. The key word is "correctly". ;)

I have NO idea what you meant and can’t hazard to guess.

m

:)

no opposing coaches will need to target Wentz , a gust of wind from the flapping of a butterfly wing will put him out of action for the first 10 games

Us mere mortals cannot even begin to comprehend the superior intellect of a Dimeman. :)

That being said, I would guess that he's trying to equate what Buddy Ryan did in the "Bounty Bowl" as influencing Sean Payton to do what he did with bounties...and that line of reasoning would be incorrect.

Players trying to "severely hurt" other players has been going on since the advent of football, and to a lesser degree it still goes on without a doubt.

Everything Sean Payton did in which he was barred from the NFL for a season, was on his own accord and had nothing to do with Buddy Ryan.

Dimeman may correct me if my presumption of what he meant was incorrect.

I think the confusion is when Dime said “He got suspended for what Ryan did” instead of saying “He got suspended for doing the SAME thing Ryan did” I think everyone knew that deep down actually but wanted to have fun with him 😂

• LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

Insight into what other people guess is going on in DIMEs head, now I've truly seen it all on here. What's next, interpretive dance?

@perkdog said:
    I think the confusion is when Dime said “He got suspended for what Ryan did” instead of saying “He got suspended for doing the SAME thing Ryan did” I think everyone knew that deep down actually but wanted to have fun with him 😂

Hopefully Dimeman will respond with clarification, otherwise the mystery may abound for ages. :)

@LarkinCollector said:
    Insight into what other people guess is going on in DIMEs head, now I've truly seen it all on here.

I have done many Jackass stunts in my life. This is something I would not take on. I’d rather walk across hot coals through the streets of Columbus

m

I think it's great that Dimeman diverted attention away from the Wentz bashing. :D

I find it funny that Mark has the worlds most interesting man as his avatar but Jon is one of the most interesting guys here at CU and frustrates and baffles Mark quite often 😂