Home Sports Talk

Wentz not healed- Eagles need a QB with their 1st pick

2»

Comments

• DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

:)B)>:)

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:
    I find it funny that Mark has the worlds most interesting man as his avatar but Jon is one of the most interesting guys here at CU and frustrates and baffles Mark quite often 😂

Indeed.

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • fergie23fergie23 Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭✭

Are there any comparable QBs that were as talented and fragile as Wentz early in their careers but bounced back and became reliable starters?

I think in the current offensive frenzy NFL, Wentz will be able to post some great stats but he will get hurt most seasons. I believe Eagles fans will be playing the what-if game every year with Wentz especially after getting rid of the player that actually lead them to postseason success.

Robb

@fergie23 said:
    Are there any comparable QBs that were as talented and fragile as Wentz early in their careers but bounced back and became reliable starters?

I think in the current offensive frenzy NFL, Wentz will be able to post some great stats but he will get hurt most seasons. I believe Eagles fans will be playing the what-if game every year with Wentz especially after getting rid of the player that actually lead them to postseason success.

Robb

Matthew Stafford

m

Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,357 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Justacommeman said:

@fergie23 said:

Robb

Matthew Stafford

m

And I feel Stafford is as overrated as Wentz

• bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

Andrew Luck?

@perkdog said:

@Justacommeman said:

@fergie23 said:

Robb

Matthew Stafford

m

And I feel Stafford is as overrated as Wentz

Yes but he came back some major early injuries and for sure is a reliable starter

m

@bronco2078 said:
    Andrew Luck?

Not as early of an injury as Wentz and Stafford but definitely a legit comeback player

• erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,100 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 18, 2019 8:04PM

Wentz kind of reminds me of Derek Carr more than anyone other QB. Both guys were having MVP type seasons leading their teams to a great record (11-2 Eagles/12-3 Raiders) before getting hurt late in the year. Then following season each had decent stats but losing records. Wentz had slightly better numbers that year after injury but he was also playing for a team coming off a SB win. Derek Carr regressed even more in that second season after injury and we'll just have to see how Wentz comes back from this back issue in 2019.

derek carr is working the drive up window at Burger King now I think. So he has that going for him. Burger King won't hire a redhead though so Wentz will have to go to Wendy's. Wendy's has a quota for redheads so he's a lock.

• breakdownbreakdown Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭✭✭

I still think the biggest "intangible" in this question of did the Eagles make a mistake is the way Foles rose to the occasion and his teammates seemed to play better for him.
    Wentz is a quality guy but that doesn't mean he will get it done in the big moment - we just don't know because he hasn't been healthy for it yet (unless you count his ND State championship runs).
    I will be watching Foles with interest this year - he has some magic in him.

"Look up, old boy, and see what you get." -William Bonney.

• stevekstevek Posts: 27,582 ✭✭✭✭✭

@breakdown said:
    I still think the biggest "intangible" in this question of did the Eagles make a mistake is the way Foles rose to the occasion and his teammates seemed to play better for him.
    Wentz is a quality guy but that doesn't mean he will get it done in the big moment - we just don't know because he hasn't been healthy for it yet (unless you count his ND State championship runs).

We all agree that Foles has some "magic" in him. The question is can he display that magic for 16 games during the regular season, and then do it some more in the playoffs?

I say the answer is very likely no, and I think it's an easy call.

Foles is the perfect #2 quarterback. Unfortunately, he is going to have a tough time being a #1 for a full season of punishment. He is very likely going to lose his focus and degrade as the season wears on.

so philly traded away the perfect number 2 QB and now they start the season with a number 3 , gotcha :D

• hammer1hammer1 Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 19, 2019 8:09AM

@stevek said:

@breakdown said:

We all agree that Foles has some "magic" in him. The question is can he display that magic for 16 games during the regular season, and then do it some more in the playoffs?

Foles is the perfect #2 quarterback. Unfortunately, he is going to have a tough time being a #1 for a full season of punishment. He is very likely going to lose his focus and degrade as the season wears on.

Not being an Eagles fan at all, I can say I thought Wentz was the next coming. Guy could do it all, pass, scramble. I was extremely upset the Rams passed on him.

With multiple injuries he won't be the same. The coach will instruct him not to scramble, which will allow a stronger pass rush to disrupt his passing game.

In hindsight I'm glad the Rams took Goff over Wentz.

@hammer1 said:

@stevek said:

@breakdown said:

Not being an Eagles fan at all, I can say I thought Wentz was the next coming. Guy could do it all, pass, scramble. I was extremely upset the Rams passed on him.

With multiple injuries he won't be the same. The coach will instruct him not to scramble, which will allow a stronger pass rush to disrupt his passing game.

Can't completely disagree with ya at this point. We shall see what happens.

However I have to remain cautiously optimistic about Wentz. There's no other choice. Foles wasn't any right choice.

If Wentz gets injured again, then he gets injured again...so be it.

However the potential upside is so great with Wentz, if he can remain healthy, that it wouldn't be a question of if but when that he would help bring another Super Bowl to Philadelphia. That I have no doubt about.

In my view, a NFL team either shoots for the Super Bowl or they are a loser. I like what the Eagles are doing and they have my unwavering support, even if Wentz never wins another game in the NFL.

@stevek said:

@hammer1 said:

@stevek said:

@breakdown said:

However I have to remain cautiously optimistic about Wentz. There's no other choice. Foles wasn't any right choice.

However the potential upside is so great with Wentz, if he can remain healthy, that it wouldn't be a question of if but when that he would help bring another Super Bowl to Philadelphia. That I have no doubt about.

In my view, a NFL team either shoots for the Super Bowl or they are a loser. I like what the Eagles are doing and they have my unwavering support, even if Wentz never wins another game in the NFL.

:D Disagree with yourself

They literally won a superbowl with the guy that isn't wentz . Its ok to be massively wrong it happens to everyone. Just say it ,"I was wrong" . The mental and verbal gymnastics you are performing have to be exhausting .

For the next 2 years, 3 , or 5 years you going to keep this up if he turns out to be a bust? What is the point of it?

@bronco2078 said:

@stevek said:

@hammer1 said:

@stevek said:

@breakdown said:

:D Disagree with yourself

They literally won a superbowl with the guy that isn't wentz . Its ok to be massively wrong it happens to everyone. Just say it ,"I was wrong" . The mental and verbal gymnastics you are performing have to be exhausting .

For the next 2 years, 3 , or 5 years you going to keep this up if he turns out to be a bust? What is the point of it?

😂😂😂

SteveK is like felger he has a hot take and he has to ride it from 30,000 feet flaming all the way to sea level regardless of the logic .

Can't just say " guess I was wrong shoulda kept Foles" :D

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x26yzgd

I think Schmidt and Brett are both better than Wentz! o:)

@DIMEMAN said:
    I think Schmidt and Brett are both better than Wentz! o:)

The more Wentz bashers on here the better. The famous CU Sports Talk reverse jinx means that Wentz may now have one of the all time finest seasons ever for an NFL quarterback. :)

I give you one thing Steve...…..you don't waiver. ;)

Is steve still out on the ledge clutching his copy of tigerbeat with Wentz on the cover ?

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,427 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 28, 2019 8:06AM

The Eagles’ seem to be so enchanted with Wentz that they are ready to spend another decade in the doldrums. It was a nice 1 year run while it lasted. Wentz’s knee is made of china.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?