Home U.S. Coin Forum

The coincidental cherry pick.

dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,717 ✭✭✭✭✭

Last week while driving back to work from lunch, my mind wandered to cherry picking. For the Liberty Nickel series, of the 14 coins in my mint state set, I cherry picked 14 of them. Some were found raw, and others were PCGS graded but unattributed.
I was going through where each of the coins in my set were found knowing 2 of them were found in the current holders.

The 2 I bought in the current holder were my 1897 FS-301 and my 1900 FS-801.

Wouldn't you know it, when I got back, someone had listed a near complete graded set on ebay, and the 1897 graded PCGS MS64 just happens to be the cherry pickers variety. I have cherry picked at least one other for this variety, but it was not mint state.

So, once it gets attributed (nice that is one of the quarterly specials), it will give me 2 of them and I can sell one.

That will leave me needing to cherry pick the 1900, preferably in mint state since mine is AU.

Now I am up to 4 cherry picks for the year. Not sure I found more than 2 all of last year.

Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053

Comments

• cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,890 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats!

I've picked both the 1887 and 1900 DDR's. Both are really nice doubled dies and are underrated, IMO.

You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭✭✭

Better than buying them out right. And more fun to "find" them.

WS

Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

@WaterSport said:
    Better than buying them out right. And more fun to "find" them.

WS

Yes indeed.
    This is one series that is still overlooked and varieties can be found with persistence.

• BigDowgieBigDowgie Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭✭

Picking Cherries is the only way to go!

• DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good hunting.....I just picked 2 Barber Dimes. The 1897 RPD301 should grade MS and the 1907-D RPD301 will probably grade 40-45. It was great find those 2 in the same week after going so long without finding anything.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cherry picks are great fun... even if found in one's own collection (the best way ;) )....I have cherry picked AH Kennedy's several times...Cheers, RickO

• dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,717 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DIMEMAN said:
    Good hunting.....I just picked 2 Barber Dimes. The 1897 RPD301 should grade MS and the 1907-D RPD301 will probably grade 40-45. It was great find those 2 in the same week after going so long without finding anything.

It is amazing how these sometimes come in bunches. The other 3 this year were all within about 2 weeks.

Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • 1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats and keep hunting :smile:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file