Home Precious Metals

Been a bit since I made a bullion purchase, a sales tax?

morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited March 28, 2019 2:02AM in Precious Metals

Checked out on APMEX and to my surprise my $188.50 purchase of 5 2oz. silver rounds (1804 dollar design) was a tax of $11.95.
Some call the state of CT the Constitution state, I call it the Consumption state. Right now Lamont and the Dems wants tolls there's lots of resistance, big rally in Hartford April 13th 1000-1400. Lamont decreased the number of tolls from 82 to 53, what a guy, lookin out for the middle class. It doesn't stop with tolls bunch of others floating around the halls of the Capitol. Here's an idea, audit every line, prioritize spending and reduce cost first then go to the people and seek more revenue. I've never been more sick n tired than I am right now. The colonist of 244 years ago would have already raided the Capitol in Hartford by now. "I'm not a charity for which to feed upon, I'm a carcass with nothing more to give"

The silver round, tastefully done. The best silver round I've ever seen imo.

Proposed taxes on top of the sales tax, fuel tax, income tax and property tax.

World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO

Comments

• MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,123 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, many online dealers are collecting state sales taxes. They do it now on ebay, too.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • coinpalicecoinpalice Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

quite a few people on the boards cancelled their purchase once they found the tax on purchase

• Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,690 ✭✭✭✭✭

@morgansforever Yea I heard about this craziness. Is it on 91 he wants tolls?
    Nice looking rounds!

• ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭

Funny as in NC where the taxes are pretty bad, too, they actually eliminated the sales tax on coins, currency and bullion... Odd, but I'm not complaining. :D

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,411 ✭✭✭✭✭

welcome to Connecticut, if it moves or breathes its taxed :(

• morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭✭✭

@johnny9434 said:

At that point, 1776, comply or leave.

edited March 28, 2019 12:40PM

@Downtown1974 said:
    Nice looking rounds!

It started with 82, the latest is 53. It's gone through the transportation committee as a yea, now it has to get through the general assembly. 82 tolls would make it the highest concentration of tolls anywhere in the Union. As of now the Dems want tolls on 91, 95, 84, 8 and 15.

• fishteethfishteeth Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭✭✭

I remember as a kid when they pulled out all the tolls in CT in the 80's. I still have a bunch of the old toll tokens from my parents. Used to get them in rolls.
    When I talk to my family still in Ct I am very happy to not live there still

• Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yikes, I hate it !!! :'(

Timbuk3
  • djmdjm Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭✭✭

@morgansforever said:

@Downtown1974 said:
    Nice looking rounds!

It started with 82, the latest is 53. It's gone through the transportation committee as a yea, now it has to get through the general assembly. 82 tolls would make it the highest concentration of tolls anywhere in the Union. As of now the Dems want tolls on 91, 95, 84, 8 and 15.

I feel happy when I get to the highway sign that says " Last Toll Before Exit"

and 9 in CT.
    in my undisclosed location in CT, I am waiting for they day it is safe to move to another state. job responsibilities are the ball and chain on the ankle.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,411 ✭✭✭✭✭

@morgansforever said:

@johnny9434 said:

At that point, 1776, comply or leave.

In the works

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Few people realize the full extent of federal, state and community taxes.....and they always increase...or at least never go away...Government spending always grows... Never any cost reduction programs in government - really getting bad. Cheers, RickO

@morgansforever said:

Proposed taxes on top of the sales tax, fuel tax, income tax and property tax.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Window_tax

• ARCOARCO Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 29, 2019 10:59AM

@morgansforever said:

I picked up twenty of the same rounds a month back. Best looking bullion rounds ever.

I want a round but I keep thinking about them making a lot more classics-as-rounds and killing the fun

• FishproFishpro Posts: 377 ✭✭✭

Washington State is trying to add sales tax to silver and gold bullion. Would be just under 10%

• WWWWWW Posts: 2,609 ✭✭✭
    edited March 30, 2019 4:59PM

I found these rounds to be of amazing quality. Stuck in high relief, rendering superb detail.
    Intaglio's website shows that it has stopped shipping to certain states due to recent sales tax complications.

• maplemanmapleman Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭✭✭

Been there done that. Mine was NY to PA never looked back. Best of luck.> @MsMorrisine said:

and 9 in CT.
    in my undisclosed location in CT, I am waiting for they day it is safe to move to another state. job responsibilities are the ball and chain on the ankle.

• bennybravobennybravo Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭

Really beautiful rounds!

• SoldiSoldi Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 1, 2019 12:58PM

@morgansforever said:
    Checked out on APMEX and to my surprise my $188.50 purchase of 5 2oz. silver rounds (1804 dollar design) was a tax of $11.95.
    Some call the state of CT the Constitution state, I call it the Consumption state. Right now Lamont and the Dems wants tolls there's lots of resistance, big rally in Hartford April 13th 1000-1400. Lamont decreased the number of tolls from 82 to 53, what a guy, lookin out for the middle class. It doesn't stop with tolls bunch of others floating around the halls of the Capitol. Here's an idea, audit every line, prioritize spending and reduce cost first then go to the people and seek more revenue. I've never been more sick n tired than I am right now. The colonist of 244 years ago would have already raided the Capitol in Hartford by now. "I'm not a charity for which to feed upon, I'm a carcass with nothing more to give"

edited April 1, 2019 1:01PM

@morgansforever said:

%6.35% Massage Tax...............

That massage tax just ............Rubs ........... me the wrong way

I tell you this "hobby" is taking it really hard on the chin........20% auction fees, high shipping charges, Ebay fees, and ridiculous sales taxes on "money" it's just becoming too much.

Anyone know what a coin costs?

I tell you this "hobby" is taking it really hard on the chin........20% auction fees, high shipping charges, Ebay fees, and ridiculous sales taxes on "money" it's just becoming too much.

Anyone know what a coin costs?

• CoinCrazyPACoinCrazyPA Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭✭

I'm grateful that PA doesn't charge tax on bullion yet.

Positive BST transactions: agentjim007, cohodk, CharlieC, Chrischampeon, DRG, 3 x delistamps, djdilliodon, gmherps13, jmski52, Meltdown, Mesquite, 2 x nibanny, themaster, 2 x segoja, Timbuk3, ve3rules, jom, Blackhawk, hchcoin, Relaxn, pitboss, blu62vette, Jfoot13, Jinx86, jfoot13,Ronb

Successful Trades: Swampboy,
    edited April 1, 2019 5:42PM

Guess it's safe to say if I order from the Mint, I'll have to pay a sales tax to the Consumption State?
    Rules and regs for CT from the JM Bullion site, guess this across the board for me?

The State of Connecticut requires the collection of sales taxes on certain products sold by JM Bullion and delivered to a Connecticut address. These taxes must be collected on (1) platinum, palladium, and copper products; (2) certain numismatic coins; (3) accessory items; (4) processed items; and (5) any single sales transaction comprised of gold and silver products for which the transaction amount is less than $1,000. All other products sold by JM Bullion are exempt from these taxes.

The following definitions apply to products on which taxes must be collected in Connecticut:

Certain Numismatic Coins. Precious metal coins that are not, or never were, used as legal tender of any government of the world.
    Single Sales Transaction. Determined per invoice, and not on a line-item basis.
    Accessory Items. Items such as holders, tubes, coin flips, and apparel.
    Processed Items. Precious metals that have been processed by third parties into items that are valued on more than their precious metal content, such as statues or colorized coins.

Us Mint sales counter people told me the gub'mint sales are local tax exempt

• taxmadtaxmad Posts: 960 ✭✭✭✭

No sales tax on anything sold by the US Government. Go into a post office and purchase a card or a padded envelope and you will not pay tax - it will be the same with the US Mint.

FYI - Washington State is debating a change in the law to make bullion subject to tax. This came up about 10 years ago and was shot down, mainly due to the lobbying by local coin stores that would see their sales decimated by internet sales. My guess is after the Wayfair decision, the Legislature knows that the big boys will be charging tax, so that avenue of tax avoidance will be eliminated. The lost jobs will now be viewed as inconsequential when compared to the tax revenue they believe they will collect - and the Washington State Legislature needs mo' money!

• FishproFishpro Posts: 377 ✭✭✭

Yes big push in Washington State for sales tax on Bullion.

Came in the mail yesterday, great lookin 2 oz. round and very well executed.

• ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭

@morgansforever said:
    Came in the mail yesterday, great lookin 2 oz. round and very well executed.

That looks excellent!

• derrybderryb Posts: 36,111 ✭✭✭✭✭

States are always scrambling for new sources of revenue. It's how those who vote for tax law changes pay themselves.

The decline from democracy to tyranny is both a natural and inevitable one.

• TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,794 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 17, 2019 1:19PM

When you need a hand to hold onto, don't look to big brother....his are busy in our pockets.

the other side to that coin is the welfare fraud....

• TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,794 ✭✭✭✭✭

And the silver lining is : "no sales tax " @ a coin shop :). Spam alert.

• HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats to Kansans!

Guess it’s okay to be in Kansas with Toto and your PM!

——-

Kansas governor signs bill providing sales-tax exemption

On Thursday, May 16, 2019, Kansas governor Laura Kelly signed into law House Bill 2140, which provides a sales-tax exemption on sales of gold and silver coins and on all gold, silver, platinum, and palladium bullion.

http://news.coinupdate.com/kansas-governor-signs-bill-providing-sales-tax-exemption/

• eddie1943eddie1943 Posts: 36 ✭✭

NC has a sales tax exemption on coins and bullion.

I'm 75 years old, so there is nothing new about me.

don't tell CT they have any sales tax exemption. They will take it away.