Home U.S. Coin Forum

1799 Drapped Bust Silver Dollar Real or Fake ????

Manole19Manole19 Posts: 3
edited March 27, 2019 7:32PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Hi to all. Im new on this site and need of your help. I was working on rebuilding an old house close to were I live in Illinois and I found this coin behind one of the walls i was braking down when i was picking up the broken old pieces of wood i saw it on the floor. I ve been a collecter for over 50 years and my eyes almost came out of my head when I saw the coin. I have been studing the coin for some time now,reading everything I could fined including the The United States Early Silver Dollars, by Bolender. But I have found hardly anything writen about the lettering on the edge.The size is 29.5mm the weight is 26.5
a little under the 26.96. I tried the magnet and it does go dawn slower then the other none silver coins at about a 45 degree angle. So everything seems to fit. Except one thing. I haven found enough information on the lettering on the edge. I only know the basic words , CENTS,ONE,DOLLAR, OR, UNIT with 2 stars in between the words. This is what I found to be suspicious. the word Hundred is spelled wrong. its spelled- UNDRRD. no H & 2 R´s. does anyone know if this is an error? I understand these coins were minted very differently then what we know today. Can someone have may a mistake in the lettering? I really want to know if this is authentic or a fake? Look at pics you´ll see the word Hundred misspelled. I aprreciate your time. Question is. Is This coin authentic or Fake? If it is authentic what grade you you think its in?
Thank You

Comments

• CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,499 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry, but not genuine.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Thank you for responding. Can you give me more information CaptHenway?

• DollarAfterDollarDollarAfterDollar Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭✭✭

The obverse exhibits several different things going on that I find troubling. First there's a die break to the left of the date but also in the right there appears to be clashing causing missing stars. If it were genuine this kind of identifier would be well known.

It's entirely the wrong color as a coin over 200 years old would not be silver in color. A dirty gray brown would be expected. It's also quite "busy", an authentic coin would be smoothed from circulation.

Don't clean it in any way, Find an expert who can see it in hand. My thought is along the lines of Capt. Henway.

If you do what you always did, you get what you always got.
  • AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,515 ✭✭✭✭✭

The dentils are the first give away. They are long, short, missing, etc.

bob :(

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • DollarAfterDollarDollarAfterDollar Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭✭✭

Upon further examination no 2 stars have the same shape.

If you do what you always did, you get what you always got.
  • ilikemonstersilikemonsters Posts: 767 ✭✭✭✭

This coin is counterfeit.

• HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 27, 2019 7:57PM

Someone’s “project.”

Coin Facts:
    PCGS #: 6878
    DESIGNER: Robert Scot
    EDGE: Lettered: HUNDRED CENTS ONE DOLLAR OR UNIT
    DIAMETER: 40.00 millimeters
    WEIGHT: 27.00 grams
    MINTAGE: 423,515
    METAL: 90% Silver, 10% Copper

• VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭✭✭

_The size is 29.5mm _

That is nowhere near the correct diameter.

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

I always open these threads hoping for the best but........

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭✭✭

A lot of Counterfeit 1799's out there.

email: ccacollectibles@yahoo.com

100% Positive BST transactions
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Manole19....Welcome aboard....Too bad... I can imagine the initial excitement though.... Cheers, RickO

• sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭✭✭

Who was there doing the demo with you?

Is he known to be a practical joker?

My dad planted a rarity or two now and then for me to "find". Once he brought a phony 1849 Norris, Greg and Norris $5 to me to show me his find. I was in the pool and the gold coloration (not even plating) came off in my wet hands exposing the grey surface underneath.

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.
  • ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sadly it's fake, no question...

• Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 6,944 ✭✭✭✭✭

The diameter should be 39 to 40 millimeters, and the mass should be 27 grams A miss on both to me means the coin is questionable and not genuine..

• CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,549 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 28, 2019 2:07PM

@DollarAfterDollar said:
    Upon further examination no 2 stars have the same shape.

This is the biggest immediate give away to me plus the overall appearance & color of the piece.

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,427 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here is a genunine piece with light circulation.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • SqueekstyleSqueekstyle Posts: 57 ✭✭✭
    edited March 28, 2019 8:01PM

@BillJones - Slightly off topic, but can anyone explain the different color bordering that appears around all the stars on the reverse of the picture above? I also see it around the eagle and lettering on the coin. I have noticed this effect on a bunch of older silver items and am trying to understand what is going on.

Thanks,

Chris

Here is another example:

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,427 ✭✭✭✭✭
    • Slightly off topic, but can anyone explain the different color bordering that appears around all the stars on the reverse of the picture above? I also see it around the eagle and lettering on the coin. I have noticed this effect on a bunch of older silver items and am trying to understand what is going on.

My guess is the coin was probably washed with soap and water many years ago. The residue from that caused the piece to take on some unusual colors. I have owned this piece for 30 years, and it has not changed over that period. It is stable now.

It was my understanding that the person from whom I purchased this piece paid $15 for it probably many years before I purchased it from him. Looking over my old Red Books, that would have been a cheap price even using the numbers from the first edition of that price guide.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,411 ✭✭✭✭✭

thats bogus, jmo

• Thank you all for your comments. I do have to apoligize for my error. i made a mistake in the diameter numbers. Its 39.5
    Newbie mistake. sorry.

• burfle23burfle23 Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am curious about what happened with the op coin? We have documented several dates with the same reverse and "attribution marks", all obviously counterfeits.

• DeplorableDanDeplorableDan Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭✭✭

The backstory behind this is very interesting. Makes me wonder whether the previous homeowner planned a practical joke on the next person to tear down the walls, decades in advance, or if someone you know intentionally planted it during the demo. Either way, kudos to them for the success.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file