Home U.S. Coin Forum

2015 S quarter error..

DrewlerDrewler Posts: 6
edited March 27, 2019 1:37PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Can anyone tell me what kind of error is on this quarter and if it is rare being that it is part of a mint set?

Comments

• ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow! I can't believe you found one of those, they are rare!

• DrewlerDrewler Posts: 6
    edited March 26, 2019 10:25PM

Oh wow really!!? Should
    I have it graded?

• BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

I see nothing... Where's the photo? :(

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome @Drewler.

Pic needed. No pic, then the quarter’s worth is 25c or less.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Drewler....Welcome aboard.... You need to post a picture and specify the area you think may be an error. Cheers, RickO

• BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭✭✭

I know you are new to this...........................

But really, how can we tell anything without a picture?

Welcome.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon

Thanks for adding a photo so we can help you better. :)

It looks like it may have been struck thru grease. It may add a slight premium if graded but may not be worth the cost of the grading. The fact that it is in a set doesn't make it more valuable.

• JBKJBK Posts: 14,638 ✭✭✭✭✭

But aren't proof errors scarce?

@ErrorsOnCoins or @FredWeinberg

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,614 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome.

That's a proof set not a mint set.

If that is a struck through error, it could have a premium. You aren't going to get rich, though.

Minor error and it's value would be lost in grading and shipping fees back and forth.

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,614 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Broadstruck said:
    Minor error and it's value would be lost in grading and shipping fees back and forth.

Which is why you would sell it raw. Jeez

@jmlanzaf said:

@Broadstruck said:

Which is why you would sell it raw. Jeez

Exactly or just keep it.

• Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

An error this size on a proof is worth grading if you are going to keep it. The basic coin is probably a 69 or 70.

Otherwise, sell it raw and I'll bet there are a few folks on the forum who would make an offer. If it is allowed, ask them to PM you. Pick the best price, come back and ask if the folks here think the price is OK, then send the coin after the buyer's check clears. If I owned the coin, I would not take less than $50 and that is possibly only a starting point.

Perhaps some of the member dealers could post a retail price so we all can learn something.

@Drewler Thanks for the pic! That is an interesting looking strike through of “something.” Appears there is some pitting and lumpy something, too. Maybe a remnant of the “something”?

Also, something going on with the “O.”

I would be slightly concerned about grading, if the stuff on the coin is considered "active" a grading company may decline to grade it. Also if it were mine I would be very happy to sell it for as little as $25, and of course I would be happy to sell it for much more.

• LJenkins11LJenkins11 Posts: 724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome to the forums. Your picture is pretty good, far better than ones I take.

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,898 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is just a defective coin and an ugly one at that. It effectively kills the value of the proof set (if it actually had any beyond any silver value). Don't waste your money on having it slabbed. If someone on this board expresses an interest in buying it and makes a real offer ... sell, sell, sell!!!!!!!

All glory is fleeting.

@Insider2 said:
    An error this size on a proof is worth grading if you are going to keep it. The basic coin is probably a 69 or 70.

Otherwise, sell it raw and I'll bet there are a few folks on the forum who would make an offer. If it is allowed, ask them to PM you. Pick the best price, come back and ask if the folks here think the price is OK, then send the coin after the buyer's check clears. If I owned the coin, I would not take less than $50 and that is possibly only a starting point.

Perhaps some of the member dealers could post a retail price so we all can learn something.

Errors no longer 70 as 69 is as high as they go now with the top 2.

• @ifthevamzarockin said:

It looks like it may have been struck thru grease. It may add a slight premium if graded but may not be worth the cost of the grading. The fact that it is in a set doesn't make it more valuable.

Aww bummer..so that is pretty common? Thank u for the insight, much appreciated.

• @Broadstruck said:

@Insider2 said:

Awesome thanks! I'll definetly try.

Not common, but just not something that makes it worth a bunch of money.

Welcome to the forum. :)

• david3142david3142 Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 27, 2019 4:59PM

@Drewler said:

@ifthevamzarockin said:

Aww bummer..so that is pretty common? Thank u for the insight, much appreciated.

Any flaws on proofs are fairly rare but that doesn’t necessarily make it valuable. Ask @ErrorsOnCoins what the market for something like this is and if it’s worth getting slabbed.

• Will do thank u!

• @ifthevamzarockin said:
    Not common, but just not something that makes it worth a bunch of money.

Welcome to the forum. :)

Thank u

ErrorsOnCoins will join in here shortly as he's probably just paddling his kayak to shore right now. If it's a sliver proof it's worth more than a clad error. Still last I checked PCGS error submission fees are $45 (could be higher now?) so with USPS shipping both ways it's more than this would fetch in a Great Collections auction.

edited March 27, 2019 5:56PM

The PF set background around the coin is orange... clad. Black is silver.

@291fifth said:
    It is just a defective coin and an ugly one at that. It effectively kills the value of the proof set (if it actually had any beyond any silver value). Don't waste your money on having it slabbed. If someone on this board expresses an interest in buying it and makes a real offer ... sell, sell, sell!!!!!!!

IMO, this kind of nonsense is very self-centered, short-sighted and very uninformed. Let me play Devils advocate. Let's say XXX,XXX is the number of coins produced with this date. Virtually all of them grade PR-68 and higher. This is one of them EXCEPT it is a coin that should not have left the Mint. It's badly damaged. So out of the total number of coins struck perhaps 50 exist with a major strike through defect.

Some folks don't like defective coins. However, a large number of collectors do! I am one of them and I should rather have an extremely rare and desirable defective coin than one of the common (XXX,XXX) examples that I purchase just to give away to kids!

What's it worth? I don't have a clue. @ErrorsOnCoins

@Broadstruck said:

@Insider2 said:

That's why the old "Technical Grading System" worked so well at describing a coin. If the Proof is perfect with a strike thru, it would grade PR-70, Strike Thru. LOL, imagine all the folks trying to find the one spot, one hairline, one something on their PR-69 (max grade for an error) when nothing on it exists except the debris. :(

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,898 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Insider2 said:

@291fifth said:

IMO, this kind of nonsense is very self-centered, short-sighted and very uninformed. Let me play Devils advocate. Let's say XXX,XXX is the number of coins produced with this date. Virtually all of them grade PR-68 and higher. This is one of them EXCEPT it is a coin that should not have left the Mint. It's badly damaged. So out of the total number of coins struck perhaps 50 exist with a major strike through defect.

Some folks don't like defective coins. However, a large number of collectors do! I am one of them and I should rather have an extremely rare and desirable defective coin than one of the common (XXX,XXX) examples that I purchase just to give away to kids!

What's it worth? I don't have a clue. @ErrorsOnCoins

As I said before, if someone makes a real offer ... sell, sell, sell!!!

All glory is fleeting.

Not related to the error itself, notice the the texture of Washington bust? How does modern die creation create that textured appearance? It looks like small dots in rows almost like a cloth pattern. Interesting.

edited March 28, 2019 5:35AM

@LJenkins11 said:
    Not related to the error itself, notice the the texture of Washington bust? How does modern die creation create that textured appearance? It looks like small dots in rows almost like a cloth pattern. Interesting.

Laser.

Older articles about the process:

https://www.coinworld.com/news/us-coins/2013/04/mint-using-new-laser-technology-in-frosting-c.all.html

https://www.coinbooks.org/esylum_v16n14a16.html

Ahh, thank you @Hemispherical. I am learning to appreciate more and more the older coins that were sculpted by human hand and all the random imperfections and errors that came with it. Having said that, I still follow and collect a few modern series.... I can't help myself.

• FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,714 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mornin' -

Nice struck thru, and it looks like some of the
    'smutzum' ( grey stuff) is still there.

As an estimate, I'd say it would go for $50-$75
    raw, if the stuff is still there, and over $100 if it's
    slabbed. Might not be worth paying $50-$65 to
    have it slabbed, but it is a nice example of the
    error, on a proof coin.

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file