Home U.S. Coin Forum

Post a coin that has more sentimenal value than coin value to you

amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a Silver Dollar that belonged to my Grandmother(Mamaw). She got it from her Mother which would be my Great Grandmother who I never met. She showed it to me when I was probably 10 years old. For a year or 2 I begged and begged her for that Silver Dollar. She finally told me I could have it when she died. I promptly replied then I don't want it.

I have always been curious as to why my Great Grandmother saved this dollar. They were in Indiana so maybe CC's weren't seen often.

Let's here your stories!

Comments

• OKbustchaserOKbustchaser Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 25, 2019 11:29AM

Every coin I own has more sentimental value than it does market value. If it didn't I wouldn't still own it.

Just because I'm old doesn't mean I don't love to look at a pretty bust.
  • TomthemailcarrierTomthemailcarrier Posts: 631 ✭✭✭✭✭

The 2 Barber coins I received on my paper route in upstate N.Y. in the late 60’s.
    The 3 cent pieces were found in an old tin box in my grandmothers attic. The box also had an 1814 & 1834 half dollar and a 1907 Indian Head Cent. I sold the 2 halves unfortunately but am happy that I kept all of these mementos.

• thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mine was a 1947 Turkish 50 kurus....I posted the pic and story last week ATS. It's the "earliest purchase" thread. Some nice stories there too!

• RockyMtnProspectorRockyMtnProspector Posts: 754 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a 1942/1 D Mercury dime that was part of a hoard my grandfather left me when he passed. I did not originally spot it, but when I got back into coins in 2013, I bought a Cherrypickers guide and went through all the coins he left me.

Originally in another TPG holder for verification, I crossed our hosts here and it now sits in a VF 25 CAC holder.

I slabbed it for preservation, and it will be the only coin I will never sell for any reason. It's just too sentimental. I've written on this board before how I got into coins and how my grandfather fostered that interest at his store by saving me every piece of 90% that came in in the 1980s and any other odd or unusual coin, token, etc.

GSAs, OBW rolls, Seated, Walkers. Anything old and Colorado-focused, CO nationals.

Gonna get me a $50 Octagonal someday. Some. Day.
  • jedmjedm Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ShadyDave said:
    My wife and I got married in 2017. She couldn't think of what to use as her something "borrowed". I had the idea for her to look through my entire coin collection, raw and graded to find a coin to "borrow" from me on our wedding day. She looked through everything I owned and ended up deciding on this peace dollar that was in my 7070. She kept this 1921 Peace Dollar in her wedding dress all day long. We recently had it graded to keep it safe and not forget what we used it for. Hopefully, it will turn into a family heirloom one day and others will borrow it from us :)

I think it's so fitting that she chose the "Peace" dollar. Best wishes to you both!

• carabonnaircarabonnair Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭✭✭

I started collecting about age 6, but in 1971 (4 years later) burglars struck our house and stole among other things most of my collection. This was one of a couple coins they missed - still with my numismatic note by felt-tip pen

• crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,776 ✭✭✭✭✭

I could post my entire collection after the fire from hell. It truly is a miracle that I have any of them back.
    Thank you pcgs 😊

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,776 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m always happy to show this 21 Buff. 1921 is my mother’s birth year. This Buff displays incredibley beautiful toning , strike and booming luster. An amazing Buff and I believe the prettiest 21 Buff on the planet. I purchased this Buff from my good friend and mentor, Andy @Angel Dee’s, over a decade ago. It will never be sold.

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • jgennjgenn Posts: 735 ✭✭✭✭✭

This one has led me on a merry chase through the darkside.

• CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,499 ✭✭✭✭✭

@kbbpll said:
    I have dozens, including my profile image. My grandfather was head librarian at the Chicago Tribune (major newspapers used to have entire libraries). His predecessor had people all over the world who mailed him coins at the Tribune. When the previous librarian passed away, the coins kept coming. Judging by most of the dates it was probably 1947-1949 that my grandfather was still receiving world coins. In 1972 he let his 5 grandchildren take turns picking from his pile of raw coins, and that got me started in collecting. Somehow I ended up with some Canadian George VI silver with some actual value (1948 dollar for example), but they all have the same sentimental value.

The one that makes me chuckle is this 1861 dime. It sat in my binder for over 40 years before I realized that it is a contemporary counterfeit. Probably came directly through a Civil War veteran ancestor.

I was quite a fan of the Tribune when I lived in Chicagoland for almost 30 years. Still spell "through" as "thru" as Col. McCormick advocated, among other word shortenings.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file