Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Reproduction Mormon gold coins

cccoinscccoins Posts: 287 ✭✭✭✭

I picked up these two replicas many years ago. They are both struck in gold, which makes them high quality fakes. Tonight I was showing them to a friend, and then went to look at the Charles Larson numismatic forgery book which has a $10 that looks like it was strike from identical dies. Does anyone know the story behind these specific reproductions? They are probably as close as I will come to owning originals of these two issues.

Comments

• Options
    northcoinnorthcoin Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 23, 2019 10:49PM

The actual dies still exist. Not sure about the replica coins you have, but I believe there was a commemorative event (centennial?) of some type that was accompanied by using an actual die for one side of a commemorative coin.

Here is my photo of the actual dies which appears in Karl v. Moulton's 900+ page tome titled, "John J. Ford, Jr. and The
    Franklin Hoard" at page 267.

Moulton's book seen here from a video clip on the PCGS site positioned just behind David Hall's upraised hand.

FWIW, pictured below is the first Mormon Gold coin I once owned:

• Options

@cccoins said:
    I picked up these two replicas many years ago. They are both struck in gold, which makes them high quality fakes. Tonight I was showing them to a friend, and then went to look at the Charles Larson numismatic forgery book which has a $10 that looks like it was strike from identical dies. Does anyone know the story behind these specific reproductions? They are probably as close as I will come to owning originals of these two issues.

>

Here is an upright view:

• Options
    tommy44tommy44 Posts: 2,195 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 24, 2019 11:22AM

I have that book for sale on BST US (shamefull plug)

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1016588/books-for-sale-here-oldies-but-goodies-prices-reduced/p1?new=1

Edited to say the book is SOLD but I still have others out there

it's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

• Options
    GluggoGluggo Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 24, 2019 11:04AM
  • Options
    thefinnthefinn Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭✭✭

;They were struck by Charles Larson, along with some gold-plated ones that he did. I think they were struck in the late '90s.

thefinn
  • Options

@thefinn said:
    ;They were struck by Charles Larson, along with some gold-plated ones that he did. I think they were struck in the late '90s.

Thanks. Do you recall the details on the piece that used one of the original dies for one side and what the event was for which it was made?

• Options
    nk1nknk1nk Posts: 477 ✭✭✭✭

Nice thread. Those replicas would be awesome to own.

Mormon gold is on my wish list of coins I hope Dan Carr will do a fantasy strike of one day 🤞🏼

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,900 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here's an upright view of the replica dies.

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,900 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here are some photos of the real dies and coins from @UtahCoin in the following thread:

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/191564/mormon-gold

• Options
    UtahCoinUtahCoin Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭✭✭

I thought that pic looked familiar! I made that poster about 6 or 7 years.

I used to be somebody, now I'm just a coin collector.
    Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award, April 2009 for cherrypicking a 1833 CBHD LM-5, and April 2022 for a 1835 LM-12, and again in Aug 2012 for picking off a 1952 FS-902.
  • Options
    thefinnthefinn Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭✭✭

@northcoin said:

@thefinn said:

Thanks. Do you recall the details on the piece that used one of the original dies for one side and what the event was for which it was made?

There were splashes done in copper years later. Kagin's book on Territorial Gold would have the details.

thefinn
  • Options
    cccoinscccoins Posts: 287 ✭✭✭✭

I pulled the coin out of the holder for the first time, and it is marked replica c m Larson. These helps to ID it better. Now to learn more about those specific strikes. :-)

• Options
    edited March 26, 2019 2:35AM

@UtahCoin said:

Thanks for sending me one of the posters back then. Did you ever make a color rendition?

• Options
    UtahCoinUtahCoin Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭✭✭

@northcoin said:

@UtahCoin said:

Thanks for sending me one of the posters back then. Did you ever make a color rendition?

No on the color, it just never looked right. When I get some time, I might try a different layout with the coins in color.
    Wes

I used to be somebody, now I'm just a coin collector.
    Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award, April 2009 for cherrypicking a 1833 CBHD LM-5, and April 2022 for a 1835 LM-12, and again in Aug 2012 for picking off a 1952 FS-902.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file