Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Collecting 56T, A newbie's wonderful and woeful journey. (Update: Basic Set Complete 8/30/19)

BishtwBishtw Posts: 181 ✭✭✭
edited September 2, 2019 5:10AM in Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Ive seen in other threads where members have posted their journey and progress as they attempt to complete certain sets. I thought it would be fun to do the same. That said, this is my personal quest to complete the Topps 1956 Super set.

Not long ago, I posted a thread introducing myself to the community. In it, I shared how I started this journey. Ill highlight the cliff notes here for the sake of time.

I friend of mine inherited his fathers card collection of about 800 cards. 400 of which were 56T. His father had committed to helping him pay for lasik surgery before his passing. Said friend asked for advice on how to sell the cards. In exchange for the cards I paid for the surgery, not only fulfilling his fathers promise but giving me a new pastime (before this I wasnt involved in the hobby).

After doing a little reading and internet sleuthing, I decided on getting the cards graded, keeping the highest graded of each card, selling off all the duplicates and completing the set.

I joined the platinum collectors club (PCC) to take advantage of the bulk submission pricing and quickly submitted 15 cards. Shortly after that i had a bulk of 100.

While waiting for those to return, I started buying some of the common I was missing in PSA 8.
Shortly there after, I had the bright idea of buying the needed cards raw and submitting them myself as a way to possibly save some coin. Jury is still out out on this as the first of the raw cards Ive purchased still are in Newport Beach Purgatory, although in the time since, I grow increasingly doubtful that was the correct decision. Time will tell.
Rather quickly I completed the basic set (raw) but learned of the many variations and decided to keep going and strive towards the Super Set, which is where Im currently at.
This first set of pictures are from the 15 vouchers I got with the PCC membership. There was duplicates of most, so I could only assigned the highest grade of each toward my set.

1954 Football Bowman
1956 Topps
1957 Topps
Redskins HOF Rookies
Redskins Ring of Fame Rookies
Slinging Sammy Baugh
Redskins Tickets (Stubs)
Redskins Matchbooks

Comments

• BishtwBishtw Posts: 181 ✭✭✭

These are the cards that I was able to add to my set from my 2nd sub (which was also my first bulk sub).

1954 Football Bowman
    1956 Topps
    1957 Topps
    Redskins HOF Rookies
    Slinging Sammy Baugh
    Redskins Tickets (Stubs)
    Redskins Matchbooks

Ill post the already graded cards Ive purchased a little later today.

1954 Football Bowman
    1956 Topps
    1957 Topps
    Redskins HOF Rookies
    Slinging Sammy Baugh
    Redskins Tickets (Stubs)
    Redskins Matchbooks

• 1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beauties!

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

@1951WheatiesPremium said:
    Beauties!

Thank you sir. I am really enjoying collecting this set.

1954 Football Bowman
    1956 Topps
    1957 Topps
    Redskins HOF Rookies
    Slinging Sammy Baugh
    Redskins Tickets (Stubs)
    Redskins Matchbooks

edited June 28, 2019 7:56AM

These are the cards Ive managed to purchase that were already graded to add to this set. You'll notice that there are a few with the (OC) qualifier. Those were my earliest purchases before I had a beginners grasp on the PSA grading system, qualifiers and their effect on value. They will be the first ones I upgrade after I complete the set

1954 Football Bowman
    1956 Topps
    1957 Topps
    Redskins HOF Rookies
    Slinging Sammy Baugh
    Redskins Tickets (Stubs)
    Redskins Matchbooks

• DarinDarin Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice cards, keep having fun collecting, that's what its all about.
    Enjoyed looking at those cards, thanks for the pics!

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.
  • Love these cards so much! My favorite set.

• lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭

Those cards look fantastic slabbed. Great collection so far.

• brad31brad31 Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for sharing. Love the ‘56 set. Wish Topps kept that larger format size forever. Great looking cards.

• BaltimoreYankeeBaltimoreYankee Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is a great set. Thanks for sharing and good luck with completing it. I recently did a 1955 Topps set (very similar to '56) and it was a lot of fun.

Daniel
  • akuracy503akuracy503 Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭

Glad to see set building is still a focus for collectors. Looks like you are on a great run. Growing up the 1956 Topps Ted Williams and Mickey Mantle cards were forever branded in my mind when I saw them framed on the wall of a local candy/popcorn shop.

CU Ancient Members badge member.

Collection: https://flickr.com/photos/185200668@N06/albums

@FEAR_the_Puppy said:
    That ain’t newbie collecting. That set puts you above most already !

Thanks, Ive only been at this since September so I feel ok about my progress so far. Right now Im 150th outta 254 on the basic set registry with 19% completion and 34th ooutta 48 with 12% completion on the Super set. Ill really make gains when my next to subs come back sometime in early June. Those 2 subs have over 400 cards mostly all 56Ts.
    The wait is killing me lol.

1954 Football Bowman
    1956 Topps
    1957 Topps
    Redskins HOF Rookies
    Slinging Sammy Baugh
    Redskins Tickets (Stubs)
    Redskins Matchbooks

@Darin said:
    Nice cards, keep having fun collecting, that's what its all about.
    Enjoyed looking at those cards, thanks for the pics!

Thanks and your welcome. Im definitely enjoying this.

1954 Football Bowman
    1956 Topps
    1957 Topps
    Redskins HOF Rookies
    Slinging Sammy Baugh
    Redskins Tickets (Stubs)
    Redskins Matchbooks

• mccardguy1mccardguy1 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭

Awesome cards! I too started on the '56 set early last year and have added some significant cards to the collection so far. I am not going for the master set as you are because I will just be happy with one copy of each card to complete the set. Keep up the great work and perhaps we can look at doing a trade or an outright purchase when you get everything sorted out.

I am on a budget and I am not afraid to use it!!

@BaltimoreYankee said:
    That is a great set. Thanks for sharing and good luck with completing it. I recently did a 1955 Topps set (very similar to '56) and it was a lot of fun.

Thank you!

@akuracy503 said:
    Glad to see set building is still a focus for collectors. Looks like you are on a great run. Growing up the 1956 Topps Ted Williams and Mickey Mantle cards were forever branded in my mind when I saw them framed on the wall of a local candy/popcorn shop.

This is the first set Ive tried to complete since 86T when I was 10. Nostalgia is alive and well. This 56T set seems to be a very popular one with one of the highest registered sets on the registry. Seems really competitive too. The Ted and Mickeys are great looking cards. I have the both in the gray backs already but Im not looking forward to the price im gonna have to shell out for the white backs, especially Mantle's. That'll probably be one of the last ones I buy.

1954 Football Bowman
    1956 Topps
    1957 Topps
    Redskins HOF Rookies
    Slinging Sammy Baugh
    Redskins Tickets (Stubs)
    Redskins Matchbooks

@mccardguy1 said:
    Awesome cards! I too started on the '56 set early last year and have added some significant cards to the collection so far. I am not going for the master set as you are because I will just be happy with one copy of each card to complete the set. Keep up the great work and perhaps we can look at doing a trade or an outright purchase when you get everything sorted out.

Thanks. Id absolutely be cool with trading and bartering. I just sent most of my graded dubs to PWCC fot consignment but I still have a few. I have a pretty big sub due to return in June thatll have quite a few dubs I wont need, somewhere around 70 or so. Let me know which ones you need and I let you know if I have it or expecting to have it in June when my Subs are returned. What grades are you looking for? What percentage complete are you?

1954 Football Bowman
    1956 Topps
    1957 Topps
    Redskins HOF Rookies
    Slinging Sammy Baugh
    Redskins Tickets (Stubs)
    Redskins Matchbooks

• SidePocketSidePocket Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭

Great set! You have some gorgeous 4's and 5's.

"Molon Labe"

@SidePocket said:
    Great set! You have some gorgeous 4's and 5's.

Thank you very much. Im really happy with them although I really thought the Jackie Robinson and Ernie Banks both would have graded better. IMO they looked better, certainly centering, than the Sandy Koufax that came back a 6.

1954 Football Bowman
    1956 Topps
    1957 Topps
    Redskins HOF Rookies
    Slinging Sammy Baugh
    Redskins Tickets (Stubs)
    Redskins Matchbooks

I sent of a pretty big sub that had about 200 56T's in it before I started this thread so i didnt think to take pictures of those to post beforehand.

Seeing how Im going to slow down on purchases until i get those back I wont have much to add to this thread, except a couple singles i might not be able to resist, for a while so I decided to share the some pics of the 56T's Im mailing off tomorrow.

These are all gray backs

These are the white backs.

If its wasnt for the bulk pricing discount I would much rather sub like 20 or 30 a week each week so that the returns are staggered and each week itd be like recieving a present in the mail. Itd also cut down on the feeling of waiting forever for them to return. Oh well. Let the waiting begin....

1954 Football Bowman
    1956 Topps
    1957 Topps
    Redskins HOF Rookies
    Slinging Sammy Baugh
    Redskins Tickets (Stubs)
    Redskins Matchbooks

• TiborTibor Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭✭✭

That Sandy Koufax looks real nice. Good luck on your set!!

@Tibor said:
    That Sandy Koufax looks real nice. Good luck on your set!!

Thanks, the Koufax White Back was an SGC 6 Ex-NM I cracked out. Hopefully PSA will give it at least the same grade to match the Koufax Gray Back PSA 6 I already have in the set.

1954 Football Bowman
    1956 Topps
    1957 Topps
    Redskins HOF Rookies
    Slinging Sammy Baugh
    Redskins Tickets (Stubs)
    Redskins Matchbooks

• ZTargZTarg Posts: 497 ✭✭✭
    edited March 21, 2019 1:58AM

I'm assuming its your member or submission number, but in the gray back picture some of your white stickers say 10146833 and some of your white stickers say 10148633. Probably not a big deal.

• MonicaDanMonicaDan Posts: 41
    edited March 21, 2019 7:41AM

Honestly, many of those cards look under-graded to me. Some of those 5's simply look nothing like mid grade cards.

@ZTarg said:
    I'm assuming its your member or submission number, but in the gray back picture some of your white stickers say 10146833 and some of your white stickers say 10148633. Probably not a big deal.

Nice pick up, thank you. I have severe dyslexia so stuff like that happens to be quite a bit. To be honest I had to read your post 4 times before I saw the difference in the 68/86. It was even a bigger problem when I was an RTO in an artillery battery doing grid missions lol, its safe to say i didnt fill that position very long.

1954 Football Bowman
    1956 Topps
    1957 Topps
    Redskins HOF Rookies
    Slinging Sammy Baugh
    Redskins Tickets (Stubs)
    Redskins Matchbooks

• Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's quite a sub Troy.

Best of luck.

I've only purchased 1 56T raw in my entire collecting experience - from one of the only shops left here - for 20 bucks.

Sent it in - I believe in my first sub in 04.

Mike
    edited March 21, 2019 2:33PM

@Stone193 said:
    That's quite a sub Troy.

Best of luck.

I've only purchased 1 56T raw in my entire collecting experience - from one of the only shops left here - for 20 bucks.

Sent it in - I believe in my first sub in 04.

Thats a beautiful Zimmer. Great pickup for for $20. Do you recall what its value was as an PSA 8 in '04?
    You can tell its an old sub cause it does denote which back it has. Some people say the can tell the difference my looking at the front, believing the colors pop more on the gray back but I really cant tell.

Not being a vintage collector until recently I didn't really know who Don Zimmer was until Pedro pushed him down in that brawl in "03.

1954 Football Bowman
    1956 Topps
    1957 Topps
    Redskins HOF Rookies
    Slinging Sammy Baugh
    Redskins Tickets (Stubs)
    Redskins Matchbooks

Picked this up Jackson Rookie Gray Back for a few bucks last week. Its only a PSA 6 but its I thought it looked great for the grade even with the top/bottom being 65/35 ish.

I thought it'd be a good idea to update my completion stats as I go. I'm currently 120 short of finishing the set raw. Here is my graded stats.

FINEST RANK 34 of 48
    GRADE 5.607
    RATING. 0.942
    PRECENT COMPLETE 12.59%
    TOTAL REQUIRED 540
    STILL NEEDED 472

1954 Football Bowman
    1956 Topps
    1957 Topps
    Redskins HOF Rookies
    Slinging Sammy Baugh
    Redskins Tickets (Stubs)
    Redskins Matchbooks

I got one of my subs back a few days ago but been so busy with life I hadn't had the time to update this thread yet. Im ok with the resulting grades they received although i am definitely a little disappointed in a few I thought would have done better but thats probably everybody, with every sub. This Sub had almost 400 cards with a little over 200 being 56T (all graybacks) so I wont post a pic of every card, just the higher grades and more noteable players. Ill update the stats at the end.

1954 Football Bowman
    1956 Topps
    1957 Topps
    Redskins HOF Rookies
    Slinging Sammy Baugh
    Redskins Tickets (Stubs)
    Redskins Matchbooks

1954 Football Bowman
    1956 Topps
    1957 Topps
    Redskins HOF Rookies
    Slinging Sammy Baugh
    Redskins Tickets (Stubs)
    Redskins Matchbooks

1954 Football Bowman
    1956 Topps
    1957 Topps
    Redskins HOF Rookies
    Slinging Sammy Baugh
    Redskins Tickets (Stubs)
    Redskins Matchbooks

• StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭

Love the play at the plate cards in this set The Willie Jones, Phillies, card is my fav from this set!!

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,343 ✭✭✭✭✭

Awesome thread,,I love the 56’s, thanks for posting all the cards, they look awesome 🍻

• JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭✭

NICE!

BUT you have to upgrade the Killebrew!

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • EstilEstil Posts: 6,863 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 12, 2019 6:04AM

I must say that's a pretty darn GOOD looking Mantle (pun intended, sorry) for a PSA 2! :) Don't forget that's his Triple Crown year not to mention Don Larsen's perfecto in the World Series...and there would never be another no-hitter in any round of post season for almost 55 years (Roy Halladay's in Game 1 of 2010 NLDS).

My wife's birth year happens to be 1956 as well! :)

WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P+S, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 61D, 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • ahopkinsahopkins Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭✭✭

Impressive, sir.

Andy

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,343 ✭✭✭✭✭

👍

• brad31brad31 Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice. Congrats on all the progress you are making.

@Stingray said:
    Love the play at the plate cards in this set The Willie Jones, Phillies, card is my fav from this set!!

They are pretty sweet. I really like the #275 Jim Greengrass and him making the play at the wall.

1954 Football Bowman
    1956 Topps
    1957 Topps
    Redskins HOF Rookies
    Slinging Sammy Baugh
    Redskins Tickets (Stubs)
    Redskins Matchbooks

@perkdog said:
    Awesome thread,,I love the 56’s, thanks for posting all the cards, they look awesome 🍻

Thank you sir!> @JoeBanzai said:

NICE!

I definitely will but after I complete the super set. I have the white back at PSA now, due back in Aug but it'll be a 2 or a 2.5 itself I think.

1954 Football Bowman
    1956 Topps
    1957 Topps
    Redskins HOF Rookies
    Slinging Sammy Baugh
    Redskins Tickets (Stubs)
    Redskins Matchbooks

@Estil said:
    I must say that's a pretty darn GOOD looking Mantle (pun intended, sorry) for a PSA 2! :) Don't forget that's his Triple Crown year not to mention Don Larsen's perfecto in the World Series...and there would never be another no-hitter in any round of post season for almost 55 years (Roy Halladay's in Game 1 of 2010 NLDS).

Thanks!

1954 Football Bowman
    1956 Topps
    1957 Topps
    Redskins HOF Rookies
    Slinging Sammy Baugh
    Redskins Tickets (Stubs)
    Redskins Matchbooks

@brad31 said:
    Very nice. Congrats on all the progress you are making.

Thanks, Im working on it. I started late last year. I think progress will start to slow down as I have to start narrowing my focus but Im game for the challenge.

Before this sub came in, for the 56T Basic set I was ranked 151, Im now at 91.
    Grade 5.752
    Rating 4.922
    % complete 88.30
    Still nedded: 40

For 56T Super, this was prior
    FINEST RANK 34 of 48
    GRADE 5.607
    RATING. 0.942
    PRECENT COMPLETE 12.59%
    TOTAL REQUIRED 540
    STILL NEEDED 472

and now,
    FINEST RANK 24 of 48
    GRADE 5.726
    RATING. 2.749
    PRECENT COMPLETE 57.79%
    TOTAL REQUIRED 540
    STILL NEEDED 228

1954 Football Bowman
    1956 Topps
    1957 Topps
    Redskins HOF Rookies
    Slinging Sammy Baugh
    Redskins Tickets (Stubs)
    Redskins Matchbooks

• JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Bishtw said:

@perkdog said:

Thank you sir!> @JoeBanzai said:

NICE!

I definitely will but after I complete the super set. I have the white back at PSA now, due back in Aug but it'll be a 2 or a 2.5 itself I think.

White backs can be tough.

Good luck and have fun collecting!

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set

@Estil said:

I also like to think of it as the pictures taken of the Dodgers, including their team picture were taken during 1955, their only Brooklyn World Series Championship.

BishTW I am loving your set. Great job!

@mccardguy1 said:
    BishTW I am loving your set. Great job!

Thank you McCardGuy. Im really enjoying trying to put this one together.

1954 Football Bowman
    1956 Topps
    1957 Topps
    Redskins HOF Rookies
    Slinging Sammy Baugh
    Redskins Tickets (Stubs)
    Redskins Matchbooks

• Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

and now,
    FINEST RANK 24 of 48
    GRADE 5.726
    RATING. 2.749
    PRECENT COMPLETE 57.79%
    TOTAL REQUIRED 540
    STILL NEEDED 228

Wow, what a jump Troy!

Congratulations - wish we had more of these threads.

Mike

@Stone193 said:

and now,
    FINEST RANK 24 of 48
    GRADE 5.726
    RATING. 2.749
    PRECENT COMPLETE 57.79%
    TOTAL REQUIRED 540
    STILL NEEDED 228

Wow, what a jump Troy!

Congratulations - wish we had more of these threads.

Thanks Mike, i have one more pretty big sub due back in Aug, which should really push me up the list but in really satisfied with the progress this far.

1954 Football Bowman
    1956 Topps
    1957 Topps
    Redskins HOF Rookies
    Slinging Sammy Baugh
    Redskins Tickets (Stubs)
    Redskins Matchbooks

Here is my latest addition. I had to purchase another one because the one I submitted came back miscut which was a disappointment but it happens.

New 56T Basic Stats (moved up 1 spot in the rankings)

New 56T Super Stats

1954 Football Bowman
    1956 Topps
    1957 Topps
    Redskins HOF Rookies
    Slinging Sammy Baugh
    Redskins Tickets (Stubs)
    Redskins Matchbooks

A few more to mark off the checklist, well except for the Red Schoendienst, he is just a upgrade from a PSA 3.

1954 Football Bowman
    1956 Topps
    1957 Topps
    Redskins HOF Rookies
    Slinging Sammy Baugh
    Redskins Tickets (Stubs)
    Redskins Matchbooks

Im still waiting for the Gray Back version to come back from Newport Beach purgatory. It logged March 5th on a 15 card CC 65 day special that now on day 82😞.
    I came across this White Back that is centered very nicely for the grade so I pulled the trigger.

1954 Football Bowman
    1956 Topps
    1957 Topps
    Redskins HOF Rookies
    Slinging Sammy Baugh
    Redskins Tickets (Stubs)
    Redskins Matchbooks