Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Collecting 56T, A newbie's wonderful and woeful journey. (Update: Basic Set Complete 8/30/19)

2»

Comments

• Options
    BishtwBishtw Posts: 181 ✭✭✭

Some new acquisitions for the sets and a few upgrades.

1954 Football Bowman
    1956 Topps
    1957 Topps
    Redskins HOF Rookies
    Redskins Ring of Fame Rookies
    Slinging Sammy Baugh
    Redskins Tickets (Stubs)
    Redskins Matchbooks

• Options
    edited July 2, 2019 2:55PM

Its getting pretty crazy how hard it is to move up on the rankings list. Ive added some pretty big cards to the super set and didnt even move up one spot. 56T is probably one of the most competitive sets to collect. Ill be pretty happy if i can make the top 60 in the basic and top 20 in the super.

56T Basic Prior Stats
    56T Basic New Stats
    56T Super Prior Stats

56T Super New Stats

1954 Football Bowman
    1956 Topps
    1957 Topps
    Redskins HOF Rookies
    Slinging Sammy Baugh
    Redskins Tickets (Stubs)
    Redskins Matchbooks

• Options

Say Hey

1954 Football Bowman
    1956 Topps
    1957 Topps
    Redskins HOF Rookies
    Slinging Sammy Baugh
    Redskins Tickets (Stubs)
    Redskins Matchbooks

• Options
    80sOPC80sOPC Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭✭✭

What a beautiful set ‘56 is.

• Options

@80sOPC said:
    What a beautiful set ‘56 is.

I wholeheartedly agree!

1954 Football Bowman
    1956 Topps
    1957 Topps
    Redskins HOF Rookies
    Slinging Sammy Baugh
    Redskins Tickets (Stubs)
    Redskins Matchbooks

• Options

I usually don't post my additions until after I get them back from grading but I'm pretty stoked about picking this on up. This probably the biggest card in the set. #135 Mickey Mantle White Back Version.

1954 Football Bowman
    1956 Topps
    1957 Topps
    Redskins HOF Rookies
    Slinging Sammy Baugh
    Redskins Tickets (Stubs)
    Redskins Matchbooks

• Options
    brad31brad31 Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good luck with the grade on the Mantle!!

• Options
    edited July 18, 2019 5:59PM

@brad31 said:

Thanks, I'll be sending it in within the next week on a cc quarterly special with a 45 day turn around which means I might get it back by Christmas. I hoping for a 5 but I'll be ok with a 4. This card in a high grade just isn't in my budget. There's only 14 graded PSA 7 or better with the last PSA 8 on the APR sold for $20k.

1954 Football Bowman
    1956 Topps
    1957 Topps
    Redskins HOF Rookies
    Slinging Sammy Baugh
    Redskins Tickets (Stubs)
    Redskins Matchbooks

• Options
    brad31brad31 Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Bishtw said:

@brad31 said:

Thanks, I'll be sending it in within the next week on a cc quarterly special with a 45 day turn around which means I might get it back by Christmas. I hoping for a 5 but I'll be ok with a 4. This card in a high grade just isn't in my budget. There's only 14 graded PSA 7 or better with the last 8 on the APR sold for $20k.

Have been kind of working on a HOF set (not master so either back) but the cost of the Mantle will probably stop me from ever completing. Of the other big guys still need Clemente which I will definitely get someday. Hope you get the higher grade. Keep posting. I really enjoy seeing your progress.

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 18, 2019 6:00PM

Congratulations on the pickup Troy

The speed with which you're accomplishing this set is incredible! I may - some day - complete my 63F set of "only"
    66 players.

On the Mantle. That's one I like but don't have and would like.

Mike
  • Options

@brad31 said:

@Bishtw said:

@brad31 said:

Thanks, I'll be sending it in within the next week on a cc quarterly special with a 45 day turn around which means I might get it back by Christmas. I hoping for a 5 but I'll be ok with a 4. This card in a high grade just isn't in my budget. There's only 14 graded PSA 7 or better with the last 8 on the APR sold for $20k.

Have been kind of working on a HOF set (not master so either back) but the cost of the Mantle will probably stop me from ever completing. Of the other big guys still need Clemente which I will definitely get someday. Hope you get the higher grade. Keep posting. I really enjoy seeing your progress.

Good luck on your HOF set. Which players are you still in need of?
    I obviously I hope for the higher grade as well but more often than not Im disappointed but its usually my fault for missing something PSA didn't.
    Thanks for the comment, I definitely will keep posting.

1954 Football Bowman
    1956 Topps
    1957 Topps
    Redskins HOF Rookies
    Slinging Sammy Baugh
    Redskins Tickets (Stubs)
    Redskins Matchbooks

• Options
    edited July 19, 2019 12:31PM

@Stone193 said:
    Congratulations on the pickup Troy

The speed with which you're accomplishing this set is incredible! I may - some day - complete my 63F set of "only"
    66 players.

On the Mantle. That's one I like but don't have and would like.

Thanks Mike!
    Being new to the hobby, I can't accurately discern what is fast progress and what's not but coming from a senior member of this forum and such a respected hobbyist as yourself, I will gladly accept that I'm making good time.
    After seeing many of your post showing off some of your collection, especially your non card Ruth items (which are amazing) is gives me some comfort knowing I that m possibly collecting something worth while when I read that there is a card in my fledgling collection you'd want in yours. Cheers!

How close are you to finishing your 63F?

Troy

1954 Football Bowman
    1956 Topps
    1957 Topps
    Redskins HOF Rookies
    Slinging Sammy Baugh
    Redskins Tickets (Stubs)
    Redskins Matchbooks

• Options

I'm at 94% Troy.

I just don't look as often as I should.

Thanx for asking.

Mike
  • Options

@Stone193 said:

I'm at 94% Troy.

I just don't look as often as I should.

Thanx for asking.

Only 4 cards to go, you'll get there I'm sure. I can't wait till I'm at 94% with myself.

1954 Football Bowman
    1956 Topps
    1957 Topps
    Redskins HOF Rookies
    Slinging Sammy Baugh
    Redskins Tickets (Stubs)
    Redskins Matchbooks

• Options

Well a sub from Feb with a handful of 56Ts arrived today. Pretty happy with the Williams and Roberto but a few of the others I thought could have been better.

1954 Football Bowman
    1956 Topps
    1957 Topps
    Redskins HOF Rookies
    Slinging Sammy Baugh
    Redskins Tickets (Stubs)
    Redskins Matchbooks

• Options

My new registry stats, the 56T super is tough as hell to move up on. I've been stuck at 24 for a while now.

56T Basic prior

56T Basic Now

56T Super Prior

56T Super Now

1954 Football Bowman
    1956 Topps
    1957 Topps
    Redskins HOF Rookies
    Slinging Sammy Baugh
    Redskins Tickets (Stubs)
    Redskins Matchbooks

• Options

I really like the Clemente and Williams, Troy.

Overall, very nice pickups.

Moving right along.

Mike
  • Options
    bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭

Great thread and very nice set you are accumulating. Here are a couple of recurring 56 oddities that are not part of PSA's master or super sets. You can check to see if you have any of them

Pepper can be found with different masses around his feet in the inset pic

Robertson can be missing some stats on the back

Schmidt can also be found with missing stats on back and Miller can be found without the boxes around the stats on back

Temple can be found with blob on his ear

There are many DPs in the set and there are minor cropping differences on number of the cards. Here is one example, King. Note difference in hat top shape and relation to border

Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • Options

@bishop said:
    Great thread and very nice set you are accumulating. Here are a couple of recurring 56 oddities that are not part of PSA's master or super sets. You can check to see if you have any of them

>

Pretty interesting info. Thanks for sharing. When I first started this set I saw someone selling the Schmidt with the missing stats on Ebay but couldn't find any other information on it.
    I've also seen the variance on the Ted William's in relation to the color of the line above his name.
    Some of the others you mentioned I haven't heard of yet. I've sold off a couple hundred duplicates so I wonder if I had any of them and got rid of them. I'm gonna check the ones i still have after work out of curiosity.
    Itd be cool to know how rare these are and why PSA doesn't recognize the variances.
    Anyhow, thanks again for sharing and I post any of these I have.

1954 Football Bowman
    1956 Topps
    1957 Topps
    Redskins HOF Rookies
    Slinging Sammy Baugh
    Redskins Tickets (Stubs)
    Redskins Matchbooks

• Options

The line variant you mention as to Williams exists on many of the 56 cards, and Williams has more than one version. But I think they are all just registration issues and not likely to ever be viewed as variations

Some would limit the definition of a variation to a card intentionally changed by the manufacturer. I think the cards I posted above are mostly unintentional recurring print defects. But, the hobby and PSA has in the past recognized several of such defects as variations.

There is no officially recognized definition in the hobby of a variation. Currently the SCD Standard Catalog and Beckett appear to be dormant as far as recognizing new variations and what PSA currently relies on in adding variations to the Registry is a mystery to me. Maybe someone else here knows the secret.

No matter, have enjoyed watching you build this set in this thread

Al
  • Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,233 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for sharing!!!

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    edited July 31, 2019 12:20AM

@bishop said:

Some would limit the definition of a variation to a card intentionally changed by the manufacturer. I think the cards I posted above are mostly unintentional recurring print defects. But, the hobby and PSA has in the past recognized several of such defects as variations.

No matter, have enjoyed watching you build this set in this thread

I'm sure your correct about most of these being registration issues and therefore aren't classical errors or separate variations but the Schmidt and Miller seem to be corrected errors and thus should be added to the registry imo.

I'm glad you're enjoying the thread. I'm more than happy to share it, read the comments and discussing it.

1954 Football Bowman
    1956 Topps
    1957 Topps
    Redskins HOF Rookies
    Slinging Sammy Baugh
    Redskins Tickets (Stubs)
    Redskins Matchbooks

• Options

@JoeBanzai said:
    Thanks for sharing!!!

Absolutely, my pleasure.

1954 Football Bowman
    1956 Topps
    1957 Topps
    Redskins HOF Rookies
    Slinging Sammy Baugh
    Redskins Tickets (Stubs)
    Redskins Matchbooks

• Options

This is the last card that I needed to complete the basic set, so as soon as my next sub pops (which is on the 86th day) I'll have my first companty set complete

1954 Football Bowman
    1956 Topps
    1957 Topps
    Redskins HOF Rookies
    Slinging Sammy Baugh
    Redskins Tickets (Stubs)
    Redskins Matchbooks

• Options
    edited August 5, 2019 10:00PM

Stats
    Prior Basic

New Basic
    Rank- 85
    Grade -5.904
    Rating- 5.419
    Percent Complete -91.22%
    Required -342
    Still needed -30

New Super
    Rank- 24
    Grade -5.769
    Rating- 3.265
    Percent Complete -62.59%
    Required -540
    Still needed -202

1954 Football Bowman
    1956 Topps
    1957 Topps
    Redskins HOF Rookies
    Slinging Sammy Baugh
    Redskins Tickets (Stubs)
    Redskins Matchbooks

• Options

Bish--- as is true of many recurring print differences like Schmidt and Miller, which occur in most older Topps sets, it is virtually impossible to determine if the defects were discovered and changed or just accidentally occurred during the printing of some sheets. But since there is no accepted definition of a variation as opposed to a recurring print defect, maybe it does not matter. I collect any recurring print differences regardless.

It used to be hobby recognition of a new variation came through listing in the SCD Standard or Beckett catalogs, and later the Registry. Now, with SCD and Beckett on the sidelines, it takes a Registry recognition for a variant to get widespread hobby recognition and demand.

Still I think they are neat additions to my sets, whether ever recognized or not.

What will you do when you finish the set ?

Al
  • Options

@bishop said:
    Bish---
    Still I think they are neat additions to my sets, whether ever recognized or not.

What will you do when you finish the set ?

I agree that they are pretty neat regardless if the registry recognizes it. Itd just help OCD and need for orginzation if they did.

I haven't really thought about what I'd do with it when I finish the set. I guess I figured itd sit in a box until it became my son's. Displaying a 540 card set doesn't seem realistic but I really dont know. Any ideas?
    I do know I will concentrate on the 57 Topps for my next set though.

1954 Football Bowman
    1956 Topps
    1957 Topps
    Redskins HOF Rookies
    Slinging Sammy Baugh
    Redskins Tickets (Stubs)
    Redskins Matchbooks

• Options

This latest sub has been in QA check 2 for 3 days now and the anticipation and wanting to update this thread is killing me.
    There are about 130 56T's in this sub which will finally complete my basic set. Hopefully I can keep myself occupied the next few days to help time past a little faster.

1954 Football Bowman
    1956 Topps
    1957 Topps
    Redskins HOF Rookies
    Slinging Sammy Baugh
    Redskins Tickets (Stubs)
    Redskins Matchbooks

• Options

This latest sub has been in QA check 2 for 3 days now

Understand your anticipation Troy.

I didn't comment when you got the Crowe - really super card - looking forward to your "final" announcement with the PSA shipment.

I know how you feel - I have a 15 card club sub that's over 2 months old now.

Good thing it's not a kidney I'm waiting for.

Mike
  • Options

@Stone193 said:

Understand your anticipation Troy.

I didn't comment when you got the Crowe - really super card - looking forward to your "final" announcement with the PSA shipment.

I know how you feel - I have a 15 card club sub that's over 2 months old now.

Good thing it's not a kidney I'm waiting for.

Thanks Mike.

As for the Crowe, learning about this set for the last year, I've kinda figured out the tougher cards and general availability for the grade. I haven't read or found out anything to help me understand why this card to was so much harder to find and pricey than the other SP commons #180-260. I few weeks ago I bid on a raw one that I thought should have gone for $20-$30 that sold for over $100.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/153560339955

Anyways, I paid almost double the SMR for it but it's the last one for the basic so I'm glad to just have done.

1954 Football Bowman
    1956 Topps
    1957 Topps
    Redskins HOF Rookies
    Slinging Sammy Baugh
    Redskins Tickets (Stubs)
    Redskins Matchbooks

• Options

Grades popped but cards won't be in hand till Wednesday. While the sub a whole was good, the 56Ts were the worst of the bunch. That might be in big part due to the fact that the majority of them were the scarce white backs. Even if that's true I still am missing things I shouldn't this far in.

First, in the last 3.5 weeks my Basic set fell from 85 to 87.
    Old Basic Stats
    New Basic Stats

My first complete company set. It's not the highest rank set out there (its actually the 3rd lowest of the 100% completed 56T') but I'm pleased.

1954 Football Bowman
    1956 Topps
    1957 Topps
    Redskins HOF Rookies
    Slinging Sammy Baugh
    Redskins Tickets (Stubs)
    Redskins Matchbooks

• Options

Now for the Super
    Prior

I was stuck at 24, even with making big additions, for a while. Really please to see progress and gains. I am surprised of how large of a gain I made in the rankings since most of the cards added were PSA 4s.

1954 Football Bowman
    1956 Topps
    1957 Topps
    Redskins HOF Rookies
    Slinging Sammy Baugh
    Redskins Tickets (Stubs)
    Redskins Matchbooks

• Options

@Tibor said:
    That Sandy Koufax looks real nice. Good luck on your set!!

@Bishtw said:

@Tibor said:
    That Sandy Koufax looks real nice. Good luck on your set!!

Thanks, the Koufax White Back was an SGC 6 Ex-NM I cracked out. Hopefully PSA will give it at least the same grade to match the Koufax Gray Back PSA 6 I already have in the set.

Welp, Do PSA 4's bring the same value as an SGC 6? If not I lost on this venture.

1954 Football Bowman
    1956 Topps
    1957 Topps
    Redskins HOF Rookies
    Slinging Sammy Baugh
    Redskins Tickets (Stubs)
    Redskins Matchbooks

• Options

The box of goodies arrived yesterday so ive ben spending too much time admiring, sorting and stacking and not enough time sleeping since I took possession.

This sub was 259 cards. 107 of which was 56T. Out of the those, I was able to add 92 cards to the set and upgrade a 5 others. As far as the grades are concerned, this has been by far the lowest avg grade I've received. It was to be expected with the 2nd series white backs in this sub but I didnt expect to be a little bit better than what I actually got.

Now this Koufax was a SGC Crossover that didnt go so well for me but that's the game we play I guess.

I'll post the team cards next. Then the 2nd series white backs.

1954 Football Bowman
    1956 Topps
    1957 Topps
    Redskins HOF Rookies
    Slinging Sammy Baugh
    Redskins Tickets (Stubs)
    Redskins Matchbooks

• Options

Here are the team cards that just came in.

This is also a 2nd Series White Back
    Total Pop 47 Pop Higher 32

This is also a 2nd Series White Back
    Total Pop 79 Pop Higher 50

1954 Football Bowman
    1956 Topps
    1957 Topps
    Redskins HOF Rookies
    Slinging Sammy Baugh
    Redskins Tickets (Stubs)
    Redskins Matchbooks

• Options
    edited September 5, 2019 7:32PM

2nd series white backs

1954 Football Bowman
    1956 Topps
    1957 Topps
    Redskins HOF Rookies
    Slinging Sammy Baugh
    Redskins Tickets (Stubs)
    Redskins Matchbooks

• Options

1954 Football Bowman
    1956 Topps
    1957 Topps
    Redskins HOF Rookies
    Slinging Sammy Baugh
    Redskins Tickets (Stubs)
    Redskins Matchbooks

• Options
    edited September 5, 2019 7:41PM

This card is slightly perplexing. It has a total pop of 3 and it's not being allowed to be added to my set.

1954 Football Bowman
    1956 Topps
    1957 Topps
    Redskins HOF Rookies
    Slinging Sammy Baugh
    Redskins Tickets (Stubs)
    Redskins Matchbooks

• Options
    mrpeanut39mrpeanut39 Posts: 841 ✭✭✭

@Bishtw said:
    Here are the team cards that just came in.

First of all, congratulations. Those 2nd series WB's are tough to find in any grade.

But surely this Phillies team card just has the date inked out. Unless there's some variation I'm unaware of, this is a bad miss by PSA.

"I think the guy must be practicing voodoo or something. Check out his eyes. Rico's crazier than a peach orchard sow." -- Whitey Herzog, Spring Training 1973
  • Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Bishtw said:

This card is slightly perplexing. It has a total pop of 3 and it's not being allowed to be added to my set.

They've made a mistake and have two different Spec #s associated with that card, the Super set is looking for Spec # 0101000169. Go into your set and 'Report a Cert that should match this Checklist' and the set registry folks will sort it out. Add comments about your Spec # and what's set up for the set and they should have it resolved fairly quickly.