Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Hello, My name is Troy.. (edit..added pics from 1st sub)

BishtwBishtw Posts: 181 ✭✭✭
edited March 12, 2019 10:38PM in Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Hello, My name is Troy. I joined yalls community/forum in the fall and have already posted a few questions but Ive mainly just been lurking trying to get a lay of the land before I officially introduced myself.

I collected junk wax as a child in the 80's but quickly grew out of it in my pre-teens. I'm a huge sports fan, I go to about 13 Redskins games a season, huge Caps, Bravos, Wizards and UVA fan as well so with my love for sports it is probably pretty natural to get back into collecting sports cards.

Last September, a really good friend mine was coming out of a difficult time and we had been spending a lot of time together. Dude was blind as a bat and while talking about it he shared with me that his dad had told him he would help him pay for lasik surgery but passed away before he actually did. A few days later, knowing that I have a pretty substantial (non-card) sports collection, he told be his father had left him some cards and wanted to know if I knew the best way to sell them. I told him to bring them over and we'd go through and figure something out.

He brought over 2 binders with close to 800 cards, about 150 1954 Bowman football cards, 400 1956 Topps baseball cards, and 250 1957 Topps Basebal cardsl. His father had printed out excell spreadsheets with the card #s, players names, quantity of each card (many dubs), and the value of each card. His total value on the cards was a tad bit over $3K. I asked him how much the cost of lasik surgery cost. He said the surgery was $3500.

As a way to help him with out and sort of fulfill his Dad's promise to pay for the surgery, I gave him the $3500 for the cards. Not knowing exactly what I was getting into, after researching the values, I decided early on to send off the cards to be graded, keep the highest graded card of the duplicates, sell the rest and complete the sets.

Now, 6 months later and well over $10k invested, Ive caught the bug and admittedly a noob. Ive definitely already made a bunch of mistakes and cost myself some money trying to collect while on this learning curve but Im still enjoying it and slowly figuring things out.

Well, I apologize for the length of this. I hadnt planned on such a long OP. Ill try to not make it a habit.😁

1954 Football Bowman
1956 Topps
1957 Topps
Redskins HOF Rookies
Redskins Ring of Fame Rookies
Slinging Sammy Baugh
Redskins Tickets (Stubs)
Redskins Matchbooks

Comments

• magicpapamagicpapa Posts: 634 ✭✭✭✭

Hi Troy

Learn from the mistakes of others. You can't live long enough to make them all yourself

• JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome!

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • PopeyesSpinachPopeyesSpinach Posts: 194 ✭✭✭

I quit reading after I saw you are Redskins fan....sorry

😁

Welcome Troy!

• pab1969pab1969 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome Troy. Great read.

• AFLfanAFLfan Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hey Troy, welcome to the forums. Maybe you have made some mistakes, but so has everyone else here. And as long as you can still pay the bills and are enjoying the hobby, then all is good. Feel free to ask questions and jump into threads. There is a lot of hobby knowledge here and I'm sure the guys will be happy to help.

Todd Tobias - Grateful Collector - I focus on autographed American Football League sets, Fleer & Topps, 1960-1969, and lacrosse cards.
  • BishtwBishtw Posts: 181 ✭✭✭

@magicpapa said:
    Hi Troy

Learn from the mistakes of others. You can't live long enough to make them all yourself

Thats the plan, lets just hope the execution and follow through goes as planned.

1954 Football Bowman
    1956 Topps
    1957 Topps
    Redskins HOF Rookies
    Slinging Sammy Baugh
    Redskins Tickets (Stubs)
    Redskins Matchbooks

@PopeyesSpinach said:
    I quit reading after I saw you are Redskins fan....sorry

😁

Welcome Troy!

Im not even mad at ya but never the less.....

HAIL TO THE REDSKINS!!!!

1954 Football Bowman
    1956 Topps
    1957 Topps
    Redskins HOF Rookies
    Slinging Sammy Baugh
    Redskins Tickets (Stubs)
    Redskins Matchbooks

edited March 11, 2019 5:43PM

@AFLfan said:
    Hey Troy, welcome to the forums. Maybe you have made some mistakes, but so has everyone else here. And as long as you can still pay the bills and are enjoying the hobby, then all is good. Feel free to ask questions and jump into threads. There is a lot of hobby knowledge here and I'm sure the guys will be happy to help.

Much appreciated Todd, I definitely plan on leaning on yall here.

1954 Football Bowman
    1956 Topps
    1957 Topps
    Redskins HOF Rookies
    Slinging Sammy Baugh
    Redskins Tickets (Stubs)
    Redskins Matchbooks

• PopeyesSpinachPopeyesSpinach Posts: 194 ✭✭✭
    edited March 11, 2019 4:40PM

Wow sweet man cave!
    Thanks for sharing

• waxman2745waxman2745 Posts: 717 ✭✭✭

Welcome aboard, Troy. There's a lot of good info on these boards. Don't be afraid to ask questions. Happy collecting to you.

Adam
    buying O-Pee-Chee (OPC) baseball
  • ahopkinsahopkins Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome, Troy! Eagles, Flyers, Phillies, Sixers fan here. This is probably the last civil exchange between you and me.

<3

Andy

Andy

• 1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome Troy!

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

@ahopkins said:
    Welcome, Troy! Eagles, Flyers, Phillies, Sixers fan here. This is probably the last civil exchange between you and me.

<3

Andy

LOL Andy, we all have are faults, yours just seem a little more extreme than most🤣🤣🤣

1954 Football Bowman
    1956 Topps
    1957 Topps
    Redskins HOF Rookies
    Slinging Sammy Baugh
    Redskins Tickets (Stubs)
    Redskins Matchbooks

• BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 7,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome. Can you post any pix's of your better graded cards that you bought in that $3500 lot?

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".

@BLUEJAYWAY said:
    Welcome. Can you post any pix's of your better graded cards that you bought in that $3500 lot?

Ive only had a little over 100 of them grade so far but i have 2 submissions in now. One with 15 cards and the other with 398 cards so Ill have to update the best cards this summer when the next batches come in.

These are probably 20 of the best so far. If I had duplicates of the card I'll only post the picture of the highest graded one.

I dont have a scanner so Ill apologize in advance for the poor cell phone pics.

4 Banks, 3 of them were PSA 5, the 4th came back N8 (factory miscut)
    2 Mantles, both PSA 2
    The Pirates White Back is a tough card. Only a POP of 48 and only 10 better.

2 Frank Robinsons, the other was a PSA 4.
    2 Clemente but the other had a tiny tear on the side😑
    3 PeeWee's. The other 2 were PSA 6's.

2 Jackie's, both 5's.
    The Mays is the tough White Back. Only a 1/10 of the POP of the gray back variation.
    2 Luis Aparicio, other was a 6.

4 Martins. 2 of them came back 6's and the 4th had a tiny rip in the same exact spot the Clemente did😑 (a 57 whitey ford had the exact rip too)
    2 Banks, both 6's
    3 Luis Aparicio's, a 7 and a 6 as well.
    2 Carl Furillo's the other was a 5

The Checklist is by far the most Valuable so far. Theres only 1 higher pop and its a 9. There is 2 of them but the other is marked😞
    2 Contest Cards, the other is a 5
    There was 3 of the 54 Bowman Blanda's and while not and expensive card in this grade i think its a pretty cool HOF'er Rookie
    5 Ford's, the others were a 6, 5 and a 4. The 5th Ford has that stupid rip.

1954 Football Bowman
    1956 Topps
    1957 Topps
    Redskins HOF Rookies
    Slinging Sammy Baugh
    Redskins Tickets (Stubs)
    Redskins Matchbooks

• BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 7,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sharp looking Aparicio.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,508 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 13, 2019 3:18AM

WElcome

Nice bunch of cards

Not bad grades at all for cards that old

BTW the CL card is worth about $1200 nice!!

Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hiya Troy

Super post buddy!

You've got some really cool displays and thanx for sharing.

When I saw your Baugh display - I got excited - mine is much smaller - I do have a program to display with him in it - just can't find it yet.

Mike

Like your tribute to Glavine also.

We had a member here who won a Glavine auto ball and gave it to me since he wasn't a fan - Chris Kuhlman - long gone but a good guy who used to have a card shop in the Atlanta area I believe.

I do have a GU bat of his which shows very little use. Would like a GU jersey.

Again, you've got an impressive collection - was fun to look at.

Mike

@BLUEJAYWAY said:
    Sharp looking Aparicio.

Thank you, so far the 56T Aparico at a PSA 7.5 is the highest graded card out of the 56T's I've submitted so far. The orginal owner for years kept the in a shoe box with rubber bands until about 20 yrs ago when he put them in 9 pocket binder pages. As you probably already know the larger sized 56Ts dont fit completely in the pockets of a 9 pocket page with the top edge being left unprotected.

1954 Football Bowman
    1956 Topps
    1957 Topps
    Redskins HOF Rookies
    Slinging Sammy Baugh
    Redskins Tickets (Stubs)
    Redskins Matchbooks

@jay0791 said:
    WElcome

Nice bunch of cards

Not bad grades at all for cards that old

BTW the CL card is worth about $1200 nice!!

Thanks Jay. Over all Im pleased with how the cards are grading out. It doesn't seem, thus far that, it was a terrible investment but I did complicate things by send quite a few common cards to be graded that came back PSA 5's and 6's that when you add the grading fee into the cost of the card Im upside down in value. You can buy the high pop commons in PSA 6s for under $15. Thats close to what I have into each card Ive had graded so far.

Im learning to be alot more selective in the cards Im sending to Newport Beach. Cards like the 57T First Series Bazooka Checklist are giving me a little room for error.

1954 Football Bowman
    1956 Topps
    1957 Topps
    Redskins HOF Rookies
    Slinging Sammy Baugh
    Redskins Tickets (Stubs)
    Redskins Matchbooks

@Stone193 said:
    Hiya Troy

Super post buddy!

You've got some really cool displays and thanx for sharing.

When I saw your Baugh display - I got excited - mine is much smaller - I do have a program to display with him in it - just can't find it yet.

Thanks Stone! Id be interested in seeing that program if you find it. Im really digging that full check too. Cant really read what it says so if you could post a better picture, Id enjoy looking at it.
    Slinging Sammy is by far my favorite player all timeand my favorite player to collect.
    I was thinking about starting a new thread on just him because there is a ton of his stuff out there and while I have probably 200 collectables of his, Im just scratching the surface. Im just one card away from finishing his basic registry. The 49 Leaf but I have a line on one now that Ill know by the weekend if the seller will let it go reasonably.
    The next 2 purchases of his Im looking to make is his 1950 Bread of Health Card, I havent seen one for sale in a very long time. And his 1938 Dixie Lid. I already have 2 of his Dixie Lid premiums but I need the actual lid now. Theres been one on ebay now for a while for $250 for a PSA 2 but I think thats just a tad high for a 2.
    Im glad to see another Baugh collector, IMO the greatest "all round" football player ever.

1954 Football Bowman
    1956 Topps
    1957 Topps
    Redskins HOF Rookies
    Slinging Sammy Baugh
    Redskins Tickets (Stubs)
    Redskins Matchbooks

• ssdawg77ssdawg77 Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome to the boards Troy. That's quite a nice group of cards you picked up. How did Glavine and Murph end up on the wall with all the 'skins items?

@Stone193 said:
    Like your tribute to Glavine also.

We had a member here who won a Glavine auto ball and gave it to me since he wasn't a fan - Chris Kuhlman - long gone but a good guy who used to have a card shop in the Atlanta area I believe.

I do have a GU bat of his which shows very little use. Would like a GU jersey.

Again, you've got an impressive collection - was fun to look at.

Thats awesome another collector was generous enough to bless you with the signed ball. Thats pretty cool. A game used bat from a pitcher is pretty unique too. The Bravos pitching staff in the 90's was absolutely amazing. To bad the stacks of all thier base rookie cards I own aren't worth a red nickle😥.

I also have an Autographed Smoltz home Jersey framed up but I dont have a picture of it. Ill take one when I get home, (I worked 2nd shift) and post it. I do have Chippers as well.

None of the framed jerseys are GU but I would be cool to get into that down the road. I have quite a few GU Redskins Jerseys of minor stars and roll players but I dont have them displayed cause I actually wear them to games.

1954 Football Bowman
    1956 Topps
    1957 Topps
    Redskins HOF Rookies
    Slinging Sammy Baugh
    Redskins Tickets (Stubs)
    Redskins Matchbooks

I have an Andruw Jones signed jersey and GU bat (very disappointed in how he turned out) and on the GU side Belliard and Milwood jerseys.

I have no idea where that program is - it's from around 1949 Washington program - when I find - I'll post.

Here's the check for 9K!

Mike

@ssdawg77 said:
    Welcome to the boards Troy. That's quite a nice group of cards you picked up. How did Glavine and Murph end up on the wall with all the 'skins items?

Thanks Dawg,

Being from the southern part of Va, when I was growing up if you wanted to root for the home team you had to pick between the O's and the Bravos. When I was 6, Murph was winning the first of his 2 MVP's. I was a fan ever since and this was my first love for sports. The Skins eventually out grew the Braves just because of them being closer, I can be more involved with the team but the 2 teams are really 1a and 1b.
    As you can see in the pic below I have some other Braves jerseys on the otherside of the room as well as a TJ Oshie from our Cup Championship last year.

1954 Football Bowman
    1956 Topps
    1957 Topps
    Redskins HOF Rookies
    Slinging Sammy Baugh
    Redskins Tickets (Stubs)
    Redskins Matchbooks

edited March 13, 2019 11:08PM

@Stone193 said:
    I have an Andruw Jones signed jersey and GU bat (very disappointed in how he turned out) and on the GU side Belliard and Milwood jerseys.

I have no idea where that program is - it's from around 1949 Washington program - when I find - I'll post.

Here's the check for 9K!

Andruws trajectory definitely leveled off from where we all assumed he was headed early on. He is still a favorite of mine for being a key part of that of all the NL East Championships in a row. He really didn't fall off until he left us. Having his GU stuff is pretty fricking cool in my book.
    Here's that Smoltz I have. Its the only auto jersey i have hanging I didnt mat and frame myself. Eventually Ill redo it to match the rest but its not a priority right now.

That Baugh check is cool AF. $9K in 78 is a ton of cash. He must have been still doing ok in retirement. Do you know who it is made out to? I wonder if that was/is the address to his 20,000 acre range or if he had a seperate home in Rotan. Interestingly that bank is just 1 block north West Sammy Baugh Ave. Your check is also almost 30 years to day of his passing.

1954 Football Bowman
    1956 Topps
    1957 Topps
    Redskins HOF Rookies
    Slinging Sammy Baugh
    Redskins Tickets (Stubs)
    Redskins Matchbooks

Could not make out the name on the check, Troy.

Agree on Jones' achievements while with Braves - was a favorite of mine also.

BTW, on Glavine - I have a stack of 88T and 88F RCs - and an 800 ct. box of 89T Glavine cards. Why? Have no idea.

Mike
  • daltexdaltex Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Stone193 said:

BTW, on Glavine - I have a stack of 88T and 88F RCs - and an 800 ct. box of 89T Glavine cards. Why? Have no idea.

Regarding this: does anyone recall seeing on eBay a few years ago an auction for 10,000 1977 Topps Tommy John cards?

@daltex said:

@Stone193 said:

Regarding this: does anyone recall seeing on eBay a few years ago an auction for 10,000 1977 Topps Tommy John cards?

No, but I did remember a well known dealer - Steve Novella - had like 11,000 Craig Biggio RCs for sale years ago before he went into the HOF.

Mike

@Stone193 said:

@daltex said:

@Stone193 said:

No, but I did remember a well known dealer - Steve Novella - had like 11,000 Craig Biggio RCs for sale years ago before he went into the HOF.

Do you remember how much the Biggio's sold for?

1954 Football Bowman
    1956 Topps
    1957 Topps
    Redskins HOF Rookies
    Slinging Sammy Baugh
    Redskins Tickets (Stubs)
    Redskins Matchbooks