Home U.S. Coin Forum

What I bought while I was gone.

lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,892 ✭✭✭✭✭

I took a little time off last fall, while the transformation here was underway. I wasn't sure I wanted to stick around with all the bloodletting. It appears things have settled down and our new moderator means well. The water is safe, right?

I picked up some bust half dollars in the meantime. Thought I'd share them. As usual, they're not top pops. Just nice AU's (I think) that fit my set. I now have roughly 340 die marriages of the 450 that were minted, with an average grade of 55. I'll never complete the series but that's okay. I'm having fun.
Lance.

Comments

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lkeigwin said:
    I took a little time off last fall, while the transformation here was underway. I wasn't sure I wanted to stick around with all the bloodletting. It appears things have settled down and our new moderator means well. The water is safe, right?

I picked up some bust half dollars in the meantime. Thought I'd share them. As usual, they're not top pops. Just nice AU's (I think) that fit my set. I now have roughly 340 die marriages of the 450 that were minted, with an average grade of 55. I'll never complete the series but that's okay. I'm having fun.
    Lance.

Great looking coins.

It's awesome that you have about 340 die marriages of the 450 minted! Are you going to turn your collection into a book or reference of some kind?

• WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 9,263 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 9, 2019 10:50PM

Those are some wonderful examples!

Sometimes, it’s better to be LUCKY than good. 🍀 🍺👍

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947):

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow! B)

• lavalava Posts: 3,286 ✭✭✭

I see a bunch of ear bars in those pix, so I’m delighted with your highly eye-appealing newps.

I brake for ear bars.
  • coinlieutenantcoinlieutenant Posts: 9,308 ✭✭✭✭✭

Awesome. As always. Going to be down your way in the coming weeks. Ill holler

• lavalava Posts: 3,286 ✭✭✭

The strike on that 38 is really strong.

I brake for ear bars.
  • HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

Now that took some time to collect and they are very nice pickups.

• ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,759 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice group of coins.

• SurfinxHISurfinxHI Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭✭✭

Damn those are nice! 340 die marriages? Amazing!

Dead people tell interesting tales.
  • robecrobec Posts: 6,727 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow Lance, you’ve been a busy boy. Beautiful group of bustiers!

• 1Mike11Mike1 Posts: 4,416 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice group of coins, Lance. Love the brown toning. The water is safe, @HeatherBoyd thinks we all behave. :D

"May the silver waves that bear you heavenward be filled with love’s whisperings"

"A dog breaks your heart only one time and that is when they pass on". Unknown
  • CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome back and those are some superb coins.

• BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome back! Nice coins!!

• CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,288 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great pickups! Many sweet pieces - I can't even pick a favorite.
    I have also been picking up CBHs - but only by date. Can't imagine doing every die marriage.
    But I am having fun too!

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome back Lance... Nice coins.. great consistency ... Cheers, RickO

• erwindocerwindoc Posts: 5,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great coins and images! Love the 1838!

• scubafuelscubafuel Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome back to the boards, was wondering. Great new pickups!

• topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

Love those very first "eagles with attitude" ones.
    He means business.
    Great coins.

• alohagaryalohagary Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭✭

Incredible

• WildIdeaWildIdea Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭✭✭

Right on!
    I believe and predict you’ll get all 450.

• astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dang those are nice, Lance!

Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • maplemanmapleman Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭✭✭

Serious, very serious collection. Well done!

• Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

You have been busy. You picked up a nice looking group of Busts while you were resting. I really like the look of your 26!

• PhilLynottPhilLynott Posts: 887 ✭✭✭✭✭

Amazing stuff there very impressive.

• ilmcoinsilmcoins Posts: 525 ✭✭✭✭

Excellent additions!!!

• coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,711 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is some strange stuff......I was just thinking of you and your bust halves!
    I was thinking that it’s been a long time since I’ve seen them as I so enjoy looking to see
    the latest pickups. Very happy to see this thread today. While scrolling through I was thinking
    .......you must be very close to having a compleated set. As usual beautiful coins.

• BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭✭✭

Don't take this the right way, but damn - you should go away more often if that's how you spend the extra time!

Wow!

-----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")
  • DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beautiful coins as always Lance. I was great meeting you at FUN! :) Discussing politics and world problems. :o

We should be in charge....things would get fixed! :):oB)B)

• ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome back! Your time away must've been a blast coming back with the group like that <3

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome back Lance and thank you for the visual treats!

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome back!

• shortnockshortnock Posts: 405 ✭✭✭

Top notch specimens. Gladyou'reback.

• Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hey Lance! Some of those look UNC but I know you don't want them to be! :)

Welcome back and jury is still out on the tight grading, but my last go around was OK.

• ashelandasheland Posts: 23,115 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice coins, very impressive!

• CatbertCatbert Posts: 7,027 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great!

Welcome back.

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • jedmjedm Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭✭✭

You have a great eye! Those are amazing. Love the '18 especially.

• TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

real beauties

Frank

BHNC #203

• SkyManSkyMan Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some Great looking coins, Lance! I'm glad you're back.

• coinnutcoinnut Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭✭✭

Outstanding as usual Lance. Glad you're back.

• drddmdrddm Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭✭✭

Glad to have you back, Lance!
    The boards have missed your input, and of course, your beautiful Bust half posts!

Love your new additions. I’m especially fond of your 1809 O.107a, 1818 O.104a, and by far the toughest of the bunch, the 1820 O.104!

Congrats on getting up to 340 die marriages! That’s quite the accomplishment, but even more incredible is your average grade of 55...damn, that’s impressive!

Dave

• kazkaz Posts: 9,141 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good to hear from you again, those are superb coins and your photo skills are second to none. The 1820 really speaks to me (and I don't know nothin' about O numbers).

• lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,892 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you to all who commented. It's nice to see camaraderie hasn't changed during my absence. This is still the best place for fellowship, and for excellent advice and critique. I have learned so much here.

@BryceM, you're a star. I always enjoy your posts and opinions. We went down the same Peace Dollar path not long ago. How can I convince you to delve into bust halves whole hog and put down that silly type-set thing?

@Zoins, that's flattering. I'm just a little guy when it comes to bust half collecting. I don't think a book is likely. But I have contributed hundreds of photos toward Steve Tompkins upcoming book on turban halves. Look for it this summer. It'll be a game changer!

@WildIdea, I'd love to complete the set. But there are too many R7's and R8's that will not be offered in my lifetime. Or maybe at prices I could afford.

@Batman23, Great eye! That '26 is among the best strikes I've ever seen. Look at that hair detail!

@coinsarefun, @DIMEMAN, @Justacommeman, @SkyMan, @Catbert, @coinlieutenant, @robec, @lava, @drddm, @kaz, and all the rest...missed you guys!
    Lance.

• BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lkeigwin

Silly type set........ I've actually been working on commems lately. Even worse! The type set is down to 5-figure early gold and 4-5 figure early copper. We're not even talking about the 1792 half disme, LOL. Perhaps, maybe, at some point I'll go a different direction. Who knows. Busties by Overton numbers has it's own impossible issues though. :)

• sarikanairsarikanair Posts: 154 ✭✭✭

Wow.. those numbers are really impressive... You are right, it’s all about having fun while collecting coins.. But do keep looking, you never know, you might as well complete the set some day! Cheers...

• cheezhedcheezhed Posts: 5,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd be having fun too with coins like that.

Many happy BST transactions
  • OuthaulOuthaul Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, impressive, Lance! Dramatic die break on the 1811, me like!

Cheers

Bob

• rln_14rln_14 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭✭

Great coins, thanks for sharing

• WildIdeaWildIdea Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭✭✭

@WildIdea, I'd love to complete the set. But there are too many R7's and R8's that will not be offered in my lifetime. Or maybe at prices I could afford.

@lkeigwin
    I’m not personally aware or studied in this series to know what your up against but I’ve noticed you say this before.
    You know as well as I do that words have power. Why not say maybe possible at a minimum?
    I’m thinking someone may come off something rare and sidelined just to watch you complete such a huge task! This one may just take the whole coin community! Ya never know, but being resigned not to is just a self inflicted headwind IMO and with what you’ve accomplished already I personally believe your capable of anything.
    So I’m doubling down on my prediction!

• OKbustchaserOKbustchaser Posts: 5,478 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome back, Lance. You've been missed.

Nice additions...personal favorites are the 1808 109a and the 1812 109 (before the die injury)

Just because I'm old doesn't mean I don't love to look at a pretty bust.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file