Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

He doesn't want to listen to reason....can we get him shutdown?

AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

I asked him to take to a coin shop but I got this response: "Hey Bob, thanks for the heads up, but I had these coins examined by treasure hunt and they had told me they are authentic, that's why I put em up."

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1879-s-1879-cc-Silver-Morgan-Dollar-Lot-of-2-1-Coins-NO-RESERVE/233127671531

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com

Comments

• Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

reported

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭✭✭

30 bids. Wow.

• Options

@Smudge said:
    30 bids. Wow.

Amazing how easy it is to cheat someone out of their hard earned money......sucker born everyday.

Perhaps I should just give up reporting and educating these fools.

bob :(

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yikes, a terrible example of a fake !!! :s

Timbuk3
  • Options
    ilikemonstersilikemonsters Posts: 767 ✭✭✭✭

Reported

• Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭✭✭

reported, although it will probably just be relisted in a day by another account.

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options
    COINS MAKE CENTSCOINS MAKE CENTS Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭✭✭

The only thing that's real in that picture us the cardboard 2x2

New inventory added daily at Coins Make Cents
    HAPPY COLLECTING

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,334 ✭✭✭✭✭

reported.

Collector, occasional seller

• Options
    CCGGGCCGGG Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭✭✭

Fake

• Options
    GluggoGluggo Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 16, 2019 10:28AM

I know why don’t you WIN the auction Coin making sure the Seller Knows your going to WIN and then you REFUSE to Pay and Report the Seller AND EBAY as an accomplice to the Treasury Fraud Unit!!!!!

End of Problem the Seller goes to Prison for 20 years. EBAY gets marked as Convicted Felon end of Problem.

• Options
    CCGGGCCGGG Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭✭✭

@COINS MAKE CENTS said:
    The only thing that's real in that picture us the cardboard 2x2

I disagree, I think the staples are real too!

• Options
    bobsrbobsr Posts: 392 ✭✭✭✭

Yea I'm pretty sure that 2x2 came from China & is fake also. I don't know who Treasure Hunt is but I suspect he is from China and in all probability is fake also but I'd have to see pictures.
    Bob Sr CEO Fieldtechs

• Options
    batumibatumi Posts: 797 ✭✭✭✭

Perhaps nudging the Secret Service into putting a bid on these 'coins' may have an effect. I am sure these slugs are not being sold for bullion related prices.

• Options
    maplemanmapleman Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 16, 2019 11:07AM

Road Apple listing and bids.

• Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,886 ✭✭✭✭✭

@AUandAG it may not seem rewarding to you but it is gratifying to see someone who takes the hobby's best interest to heart; continuously

• Options
    okiedudeokiedude Posts: 643 ✭✭✭

Reported. Still up and an hour to go. $510-ugh!

BST with: Oldhobo, commoncents05, NoLawyer, AgentJim007, Bronzemat, 123cents, Lordmarcovan, VanHalen, ajaan, MICHAELDIXON, jayPem and more!
  • Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

Reported to ANA legal. If they are the Congressionally Chartered organization, then ANA should be busting these crooks for the benefit of coin collectors.

• Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 16, 2019 12:42PM

Time to start a bidding war and get that thing up to about 10K. (and of course not pay for it) :D

• Options
    earlycoinsearlycoins Posts: 282 ✭✭✭

I just bid 1.2 million, which raises a red flag, and was put through to a rep.

• Options

eBay has told me of numerous communications with both them and the seller, who insists that it’s genuine. When i asked why the auction cannot be ended, told that they have to br fair to all parties.

• Options
    numbersmannumbersman Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭✭

Wish I sold the seller my bridge! eBay should really employ the services of a talented numismatist......maybe I'm a utopian.

Collector of numeral seals.That's the 1928 and 1928A series of FRNs with a number rather than a letter in the district seal. Owner/operator of Bottom Line Currency
  • Options
    maplemanmapleman Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, then they should have accepted your bid, correct?> @earlycoins said:

eBay has told me of numerous communications with both them and the seller, who insists that it’s genuine. When i asked why the auction cannot be ended, told that they have to br fair to all parties.

• Options
    3stars3stars Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would have taken the photo from much further away...

Previous transactions: Wondercoin, goldman86, dmarks, Type2
  • Options

Sellers response to me:"They are not fake, they were authenticated by a business that's been authenticating for 100+ years. Do your research." They sold for $1,550. What a douche.

BST with: Oldhobo, commoncents05, NoLawyer, AgentJim007, Bronzemat, 123cents, Lordmarcovan, VanHalen, ajaan, MICHAELDIXON, jayPem and more!
  • Options

@earlycoins said:
    They did accept the bid. $1,200,000, and worth every penny. Ive gone on record with rep, that its fake. They suggested that i not pay, and will handle from their end. At least no one purchased, believing it to be genuine.

You will have no problem, they have received enough reports that ebay knows it's not real.
    I have done it many times before and never had any problems.

Nice Win! :D

• Options

Woo-hoo!

• Options

The sale was as real as the coins-LOL!

• Options

@earlycoins said:

thank you and don't forget to leave a neg if you can.

bob :)

• Options

Just didn’t wish to see some innocent taken. The seller may know nothing.

• Options

Hey, @earlycoins, I have a nice copper 1943 Lincoln cent if you want to get out your checkbook again.

(Please don't ask me to see if it sticks to a magnet)

• Options
    thefinnthefinn Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Gluggo said:
    I know why don’t you WIN the auction Coin making sure the Seller Knows your going to WIN and then you REFUSE to Pay and Report the Seller AND EBAY as an accomplice to the Treasury Fraud Unit!!!!!

End of Problem the Seller goes to Prison for 20 years. EBAY gets marked as Convicted Felon end of Problem.

You don't want to refuse to pay - you will lose your eBay rights. Just pay for it, then return it as counterfeit. He will have to pay the return shipping.

thefinn
  • Options
    thefinnthefinn Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭✭✭

PT Barnum is alive and doing well.

thefinn
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

@thefinn said:

@Gluggo said:

You don't want to refuse to pay - you will lose your eBay rights. Just pay for it, then return it as counterfeit. He will have to pay the return shipping.

Not so, if proven that it's a counterfeit, you will not have to return the coin.

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    sniocsusniocsu Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭

The fakes are getting better. I wonder how many are not posted about that just fly under the radar

• Options

@sniocsu said:
    The fakes are getting better. I wonder how many are not posted about that just fly under the radar

Since I'm retired and basically sit at my computer all day long, I can tell you I report more than 2 dozen CC dollars every day. Most times I do ask the seller to re-examine and have a coin shop look at it. Often I get into multiple messages with a seller explaining what I see and providing other fakes as examples. Many times they are not aware that they got screwed when they bought it.
    Every once in a while I hear back from a seller that he got his money back from the thief that sold it to him (I always recommend that they go get their money back and that it is illegal to sell a fake). I encourage those kinds to get the police involved if need be.

• Options
    GluggoGluggo Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 16, 2019 9:11PM

@AUandAG said:

Since I'm retired and basically sit at my computer all day long,

Congratulation on retirement!!!! Wish I could but have to keep working to many bills to pay. :):):)
    Does not help that I keep buying coins. :(

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 16, 2019 8:50PM

Sold for $1,550.00 or PCGS XF-45 prices: $1,400.00 for the 1879-CC and $30 for the 1879-S.

If the buyer thinks these are uncirculated, the buyer may think this was a steal. The price guide for MS60 are $4,500.00 and $48.00.

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

eBay should have a full time numismatic expert scouring the coin section and dealing with the reports.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options

I don’t believe that they care. And if they did, it would cut into profits.

• Options
    Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

@AUandAG said:

Since I'm retired and basically sit at my computer all day long, I can tell you I report more than 2 dozen CC dollars every day.

Sounds like a terrible retirement! There is also no way you can be 100% sure a coin is counterfeit playing keyboard cop. I remember when eBay had the panel of keyboard cops. So many legit coins were taken down. When eBay did away with that, it was very welcome. You could not list a Trade dollar without one of those jokers saying it was counterfeit.

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,900 ✭✭✭✭✭

@AUandAG said:
    He doesn't want to listen to reason....can we get him shutdown?

Seems like the answer is no :(

• Options

@Wabbit2313 There is also no way you can be 100% sure a coin is counterfeit playing keyboard cop.

I would disagree. You may not be able to tell with 100% of all listings but there are many listings that you can be 100% sure the coin listed is a counterfeit. Many have die markers that are only found on copies.

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 17, 2019 9:29AM

@Wabbit2313 said:

@AUandAG said:

Since I'm retired and basically sit at my computer all day long, I can tell you I report more than 2 dozen CC dollars every day.

Sounds like a terrible retirement! There is also no way you can be 100% sure a coin is counterfeit playing keyboard cop. I remember when eBay had the panel of keyboard cops. So many legit coins were taken down. When eBay did away with that, it was very welcome. You could not list a Trade dollar without one of those jokers saying it was counterfeit.

There are, unfortunately, far too many coins on Ebay, for which the lack of authenticity can be determined by knowledgeable “keyboard cops”. The 79-CC in this thread is a perfect/no-brainer example.

I don’t know if there was more than one panel of the type you mentioned. But I was on one for a short time, many years ago, and we were very cautious about recommending that listings be taken down.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file