Home U.S. Coin Forum

Will this medal convince you to join the ANA?

ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited November 13, 2017 11:13PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Just saw this special offer to join the ANA.

There are thoughts that the use of gimmicks to increase membership doesn't build a lasting value and membership. But it is limited to just 2000 medals.

https://www.money.org/free-medallion-cw

Receive a FREE Silver Medallion with New ANA Membership

This silver, limited-edition American Numismatic Association medallion, encapsulated and specially labeled by NGC, is yours when you join as a new member.*

Whether you’re new to the hobby or an experienced collector, you’ll enjoy the hobby’s finest magazine (now with coin values!), free admission to the World’s Fair of Money® and National Money Show®, direct submissions for grading, access to outstanding education programs, exclusive discounts on collection insurance and publications, and much more, all for as little as $28 a year. *view terms and conditions

Medallion Features

The obverse of the medallion features the 1891 Seated Liberty Quarter design, which represents the year that the ANA was founded. The reverse depicts the ANA lamp of knowledge.

Each quarter-ounce medallion is pure .999 silver and is encapsulated and specially labeled by Numismatic Guaranty Corporation (NGC). Produced by SilverTowne Mint for the ANA, only 2,000 of the medallions are available.

Medallions are limited to one per person.

Comments

• CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,499 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice, though the stars are aligned incorrectly for a quarter.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • KoveKove Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭✭

I like the medal.

It looks like DCAM proof to me rather an "brilliant uncirculated" as mentioned on the label, but maybe the photos are deceiving.

• TwobitcollectorTwobitcollector Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭✭✭

OK , it's been years but I joined.

Positive BST Transactions with:
    INYNWHWeTrust-TexasNationals,ajaan,blu62vette
    coinJP, Outhaul ,illini420,MICHAELDIXON, Fade to Black,epcjimi1,19Lyds,SNMAN,JerseyJoe, bigjpst, DMWJR , lordmarcovan, Weiss,Mfriday4962,UtahCoin,Downtown1974,pitboss,RichieURich,Bullsitter,JDsCoins,toyz4geo,jshaulis, mustanggt, SNMAN
  • keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

instead of giving away $20 and charging $28 why don't they just offer a limited number of FREE memberships??

• TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

nice, at least since they stopped sending the Numismatist you get something

Frank

BHNC #203

• RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nope. Maybe if it were something that displayed creativity and/or artistry.... ;)

• jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,072 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes. I was a member back when the gold Kennedy came out, so I could buy one at the show, but I let it expire. I am wanting to join CAC, so it requested my ANA number. This came out at the perfect time, so I went ahead and re-joined.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

It looks nice, but a small token.... I like the one ounce size - or larger. Cheers, RickO

• CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,614 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CaptHenway said:
    Nice, though the stars are aligned incorrectly for a quarter.

Yup. Should be pointed down. CaptHenway published this long ago in the Gobrecht Journal--

https://nnp.wustl.edu/library/book/514072?page=4

I like the design but it's only a quarter-ounce medal, would like a large piece.

• WmwoodWmwood Posts: 102 ✭✭

Ok it got me, I was actually going to join last week, but got on to other things. The medallion was the sinker.

Do I get a wind breaker too?

• mt_mslamt_msla Posts: 815 ✭✭✭✭

no thanks

Insert witicism here. [ xxx ]

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 7, 2019 10:09PM

Reviving this old thread as I just saw this ad on the ANA website, but the link no longer works.

Anyone get one of these?

Not sure if:

1. they didn't sign up 2000 people and still have medals,
    2. signed up 2000 people and took down the link but not the ad, or
    3. didn't sign up 2000 people and also have a glitch.
  • LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,282 ✭✭✭✭✭

The only reason to become a life member is in the hopes you live long enough and save on the annual dues. :D

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 8, 2019 8:29AM

@Lakesammman said:
    The only reason to become a life member is in the hopes you live long enough and save on the annual dues. :D

I was thinking everyone should try to get one of the gold 50 year anniversary medals. I picked this up last year and am wondering if I should try to get one myself.

PCGS even slabs these :)

• astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:
    Just saw this special offer to join the ANA.

There are thoughts that the use of gimmicks to increase membership doesn't build a lasting value and membership. But it is limited to just 2000 medals.

Correct. The ANA's approach to transactional membership is one reason why the ANA's membership suffers from apathy. Members have been trained to expect a freebie whenever they interact with the Association. It's heroin for the hobby. The ANA should spend much more effort on creating an organization whose mission is one that the public wants to join and not one where members need to be bribed to join ... and then not renew.

Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • AlexinPAAlexinPA Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nope. :o

• keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was a member for a short while but see no reason to join again.

• OuthaulOuthaul Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, the short answer is no.

The long answer is nooooooooooooooooooooo.

• JimTylerJimTyler Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 8, 2019 6:30AM

If you join ANA you also get NGC submission privileges and it's less than joining NGC for submission privileges only ( no free submissions)

• astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

@keets said:
    instead of giving away $20 and charging $28 why don't they just offer a limited number of FREE memberships??

The ANA did do this at least once (back about a decade ago) while I was on staff. A lot of new members joined through the philanthropic support of Steve Countoursi (his dealership sponsored the new members). The end result was not good. A very low percentage of the 'free' memberships (much less than the 'normal' new memberships) were renewed.

Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • JJSingletonJJSingleton Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭✭✭

I got one of those last year for renewing to a 3 year membership instead of 1 year. It is very nice, considering its price.

Joseph J. Singleton - First Superintendent of the U.S. Branch Mint in Dahlonega Georgia

Findley Ridge Collection
    About Findley Ridge

• No HeadlightsNo Headlights Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭✭✭

Error
    Listed as brilliant uncirculated
    Should be proof
    Had one. Gave it to my good friend Barber Keys who noticed the label
    error

• oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,865 ✭✭✭✭✭

I received a Silver Eagle for joining a couple years ago...perhaps I should allow my membership to lapse.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug...
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,427 ✭✭✭✭✭

It always amazes me that organizations or companies can offer something like this to new members, but snub the people who have supported them or subscribed to their magazine for years.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

ANA membership is $3 more than NGC, is it worth it for any other benefits?

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,427 ✭✭✭✭✭

@thisistheshow said:
    ANA membership is $3 more than NGC, is it worth it for any other benefits?

"The Numismatist" magazine, which is now a pretty good publication.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
    edited January 8, 2019 9:07AM

I just joined. I called first. You have to put code M17B in the discount code box to get the free medal. The rep told me they aren't advertising it because there aren't many left.

Edit to add: thank you @zoins for posting this

• RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

No. Dull, tacky imitation.

• ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 8, 2019 10:31AM

No.
    It reminded me to TV commercial offering a special gift for the 1st 100 callers. :/

@Zoins said:
    Reviving this old thread as I just saw this ad on the ANA website, but the link no longer works.

Anyone get one of these?

Not sure if:

1. they didn't sign up 2000 people and still have medals,
    2. signed up 2000 people and took down the link but not the ad, or
    3. didn't sign up 2000 people and also have a glitch.

Just received mine.

• 3stars3stars Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like a bad Chinese replica.

Previous transactions: Wondercoin, goldman86, dmarks, Type2
  • dcarrdcarr Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭✭✭

@thisistheshow said:
    Just received mine.

Although I don't know who made those, it has the look of a typical Silvertowne mint product, typically identifiable by the rather "fat" letter (and number) font and other devices.

I don't know how the ANA decides who to contract to mint their medals. I've never seen them announce or invite any sort of "competition" or "bidding". I've never been contacted and asked to make anything for them (not that I would, necessarily, but I would consider it).

Anyway, I think a better job could have been done on the Seated Liberty figure details.

• AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,515 ✭✭✭✭✭

So, is the COPY on the reverse?

bob :(

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,873 ✭✭✭✭✭

@thisistheshow said:
    Just received mine.

Did you touch it to see if it feels tacky?
    I think it looks like a pretty cool collectable.

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭✭✭

Can someone show the rev?

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52

@AUandAG said:
    So, is the COPY on the reverse?

bob :(

@Swampboy said:

Did you touch it to see if it feels tacky?

I am not sure what you are asking here.

I think it looks like a pretty cool collectable.

I agree

@Namvet69 said:
    Can someone show the rev?

Sorry, I just added it.

• No HeadlightsNo Headlights Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭✭✭

Seems to be a proof coin although the label states uncirculated?

@dcarr said:

@thisistheshow said:
    Just received mine.

Although I don't know who made those, it has the look of a typical Silvertowne mint product, typically identifiable by the rather "fat" letter (and number) font and other devices.

I don't know how the ANA decides who to contract to mint their medals. I've never seen them announce or invite any sort of "competition" or "bidding". I've never been contacted and asked to make anything for them (not that I would, necessarily, but I would consider it).

Anyway, I think a better job could have been done on the Seated Liberty figure details.

You are right. The blurb in the OP by @Zoins says it was done by them.

• BJandTundraBJandTundra Posts: 383 ✭✭✭✭

I'm waiting for the "COINS 'r US" T-Shirt.

• GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,353 ✭✭✭✭✭

I joined about 3 years ago after letting my membership lapse and rejoined because of an offer of a Slabbed Silver Eagle. My membership is about to expire and I would rejoin if I could get this offer. :/

GrandAm :)
  • ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

no :(

• Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

No, but I like it !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,296 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've been a member since 1980. I got one of those medals about a year ago for renewing my membership for two years and they are very nice. The Numismatist which is their monthly magazine is well worth the cost of membership.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file