Home U.S. Coin Forum

Congratulations Liz Coggan!

ThePennyLadyThePennyLady Posts: 4,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 13, 2019 5:44PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Many of you may be acquainted with Liz Coggan, formerly of JJ Teaparty. Now she started her own firm - so happy to hear she is back at it!

From CDN Newsletter today:

"Longtime Coin Expert Launches Elizabeth Coggan Numismatics

Liz Coggan launches a new rare coin firm, Elizabeth Coggan Numismatics, LLC. The company will conduct appraisals, buy and sell rare coins wholesale as well as help with the acquisition of coins for collectors. Liz’s 35 years of experience in the business enables her to offer valued, professional advice to collectors, estate representatives, lawyers, banks, financial institutions and trust departments to assist with the liquidation of coin, paper money, gold and silver bullion collections. Liz’s negotiation skills and market knowledge will be put to work for you as she suggests the best avenue for liquidation of your coins for the strongest price. Be that outright sale, consignment, or public auction. Liz is available to collectors and dealers alike for collaboration and consultation about all numismatic endeavors.

Liz Coggan started her career in 1983 working at Bowers and Merena Galleries as executive secretary for Q. David Bowers, one of the world’s most preeminent numismatists and prolific numismatic authors. There she learned the ins and outs of the ANA while Bowers was its President. Additionally, she oversaw the advertising for the company before being promoted to the rare coin sales division. In that role she worked with collectors to assemble their collections and built the Want List Program from 25 customers to nearly 1,500 at the time of her departure. Her experiences at the company also included close work and collaboration with Dr. Richard A. Bagg, who was Auction Director at the firm. Under his tutelage and mentorship she learned the important skills of negotiating, obtaining, cataloguing, advertising and selling coins and collections through the public auction venue. Because of these experiences, Liz was able to handle some of the greatest rarities in American numismatics, including the 1894-S Norweb dime (she was given the task of cataloguing the Barber dimes in that storied collection), an 1804 dollar and the 1861 Paquet $20, to name a few.

In 1992 Liz began her 25 year career as Senior Numismatist with J.J. Teaparty, Inc. one of the oldest and most active coin shops in the country until 2012. This store was located off the Freedom trail in Boston, MA, and operated in the same location for nearly 50 years. There she expanded her knowledge of identifying varieties and honing her skills as a numismatic buyer of scare and rare coins for the company inventory, while also selling those pieces to collectors. She attended 20 or so shows per year where she kept her finger on the pulse of market conditions which enhanced her ability to accurately contribute prices to “A Guide Book of United States Coins,” referred to as the Bible of numismatics. She began contributing pricing data in 1999 and continues to this day. Liz is the only female price contributor to this illustrious volume. These skills also enabled her to provide accurate appraisals for many banks, law firms, museums and financial institutions throughout Boston and the surrounding area. Through her marriage to store manager and subsequently, co-owner of the firm, Miles Coggan, she learned how to run a retail coin shop and the complexities of trading precious metals.

All of these experiences have prepared Liz for her newest endeavor, the launch of her own rare coin firm, Elizabeth Coggan Numismatics, LLC DBA Liz Coggan Rare Coins. The same integrity, fairness, trustworthiness and personal care, you experienced when you worked with her at Bowers and Merena Galleries (now Stack’s Bowers) and J.J. Teaparty, Inc., is available to you once again.

If you would like her assistance and expertise with your collecting endeavors, need an appraisal for an estate, want her help with selling your collection for the highest possible price, or just want to reconnect with her, she welcomes your email at liz@lizcoggan.com. If your prefer you can call or text Liz at 508-513-8383."

hblog.greysheet.com/expert-stacks-bowers-executive-launches-elizabeth-coggan-numismatics/?fbclid=IwAR1mWEKC4QTYlsfc4BwCyXjY3uJKRkOVFMK9Mdq-wHPnNezm-h3IbTQWmVQttp://

Charmy HarkerThe Penny Lady®

Comments

• ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 13, 2019 10:23AM

Wishing you continued success :) Congratulations Liz!

• dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice testimonial, Charmy.

• amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 13, 2019 10:32AM

Good Luck Liz! (although I doubt you will need it!)

• oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,865 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have many great transactions through Liz. Best wishes to Liz into this next chapter of her life!

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug...
  • No HeadlightsNo Headlights Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congratulations Liz. Nice things happen to nice people. This proves it. Best wishes

• BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,721 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool. Best of luck Liz!

• OKbustchaserOKbustchaser Posts: 5,437 ✭✭✭✭✭

Glad to see that she didn't really retire.

Just because I'm old doesn't mean I don't love to look at a pretty bust.
  • dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,717 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have always enjoyed working with her. I am thinking it was "she really didn't want to move"

Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,409 ✭✭✭✭✭

congrats liz and all the best to you

• Hi, everyone! This is Josh, an editor at CDN. We modified the headline to better reflect the fact that Liz, who worked for Bowers & Merena, did NOT work at Stack’s Bowers. Here is a link to the corrected blog post! Apologies for the error and thank you for sharing this great news here! Congratulations, Liz! http://blog.greysheet.com/expert-stacks-bowers-executive-launches-elizabeth-coggan-numismatics/

• HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good luck and best wishes!

• fishteethfishteeth Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭✭✭

Always liked working with her, happy to see her back in the business

• lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭✭✭

Excellent! I hope she's set up at the Baltimore Whitman Expo...

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • goldengolden Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭✭✭

The best of luck!

• bigmarty58bigmarty58 Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭✭✭

Liz, congratulations on the launch of your new business!

Enthusiastic collector of British pre-decimal and Canadian decimal circulation coins.
  • SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm glad more women are coming into the coin hobby - I also collect banknotes and my best and pickiest suppliers are female dealers in the UK and Germany.

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bought a few coins from Liz at Teaparty. Always a great experience.

• chesterbchesterb Posts: 961 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is great! I was a customer of hers at JJ Tea. I was sad to see she was no longer there but glad she has her own biz now.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congratulations Liz..... Wishing you the best of luck in your new endeavor...Cheers, RickO

• ilikemonstersilikemonsters Posts: 767 ✭✭✭✭

Does anybody know if Liz will be set up in Baltimore? The news makes me very happy :)

• PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,880 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ilikemonsters said:
    Does anybody know if Liz will be set up in Baltimore? The news makes me very happy :)

To add to that will Liz set up at the Pittsburgh ANA?

Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,114 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great to see this!
    I have had the utmost respect for her for decades.
    I’m sure she will be successful in her new endeavor.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭✭✭

Your success is assured by all on CU. Charmy leads by example. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52

• jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,151 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wish Liz the best of luck. I have bought and sold to her and Gail for the last 10 years. Great people.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • BGBG Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrat's!

State and City location? Thanks

• amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

I suspect she will be out building up an inventory. I have no clue!

@ilikemonsters said:

• shortnockshortnock Posts: 369 ✭✭✭

Charmy, Thanks for the info. Wishing best of times for Liz.

• air4mdcair4mdc Posts: 796 ✭✭✭✭

Congrats and and best wishes for a huge success!

• scodalscodal Posts: 78 ✭✭✭

Welcome back, Liz! That was fairly brief as retirements go, but even in that short span of time you were missed. All the best as you embark on the new venture. I look forward to doing business with you again soon!

• JeffMTampaJeffMTampa Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭✭✭

Liz is the best- respected by everyone!

I love them Barber Halves.....
  • GotTheBugGotTheBug Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 13, 2019 10:33PM

• EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great news! I wish her all the best.

Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:
  • CogganCoggan Posts: 12 ✭✭

For those asking business name and details:

Elizabeth Coggan Numismatics, LLC
    PO BOX 194
    North Easton, MA 02356
    email liz@lizcoggan.com
    Phone: 508-513-8383
    website under construction

• DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have bought and sold coins with Liz for many many years...…..and will continue to do so. I am looking forward to her new store.

• ElmerFusterpuckElmerFusterpuck Posts: 4,614 ✭✭✭✭✭

Awesome, one of the best in the business. I've had many a pleasant deal with Liz (and Gail) throughout the years and look forward to some more!

• MoldnutMoldnut Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭✭

Hopefully you can make it out West from time to time.

Derek

EAC 6024
  • BGBG Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

No coins yet on her website which is understandable. All good things take time.

• CogganCoggan Posts: 12 ✭✭

My website is still under construction. A work in progress. --Liz

• georgiacop50georgiacop50 Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭✭

Always the consumate professional in my interactions with her at shows.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file