Home U.S. Coin Forum

Latest CryptoCurrency clusterbomb...Canadian exchange owner dies and takes password with him

CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.

Comments

• BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,721 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow. Maybe look for a slip of paper in the top drawer with the password on it?

• BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭✭✭

Except for having a secure copy of the password on paper deposited with his lawyer in the event of his death, he did everything right. Offline storage (cold) so it's less vulnerable to attack, very limited access to the cold wallet, etc.

It shows how fragile doing things correctly really is...

-----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")
  • 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,898 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think there will be more to this story. Where is Paul Harvey when we need him?

All glory is fleeting.
  • CoinPhysicistCoinPhysicist Posts: 597 ✭✭✭✭

Personally I think the guy faked his own death while in India and now has $190 million in cryptocurrency to live the rest of his life like a king.

Successful transactions with: wondercoin, Tetromibi, PerryHall, PlatinumDuck, JohnMaben/Pegasus Coin & Jewelry, CoinFlip, and coinlieutenant.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

There is still much more of this story to be told...They will not simply leave millions of dollars floating in cyber space. Cheers, RickO

• batumibatumi Posts: 796 ✭✭✭✭

Crypto is probably the last thing I would have any trust in. The winners have departed.

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭✭✭

I vote for joeybagadonuts.

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52

• bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

@yspsales said:

@bronco2078 said:

@yspsales said:
    Produce the body!

Its floating down the Ganges

On a yacht...

whatever you do don't google body + ganges

• ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's messed up. :s

• ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very fishy ..... why in India? Who are left holding the bag ?

• bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Paradisefound said:
    Very fishy ..... why in India? Who are left holding the bag ?

Cows , and because they are sacred they can't be extradited

• RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

Kind of fun - and sad - to watch people do really stupid things and get squished. There was no money to begin with because there was no backing by economic activity or assets.

• cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,060 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RogerB said:
    Kind of fun - and sad - to watch people do really stupid things and get squished. There was no money to begin with because there was no backing by economic activity or assets.

I agree with this. A fool and his money are soon parted.

• batumibatumi Posts: 796 ✭✭✭✭

@RogerB said:

When the cyber fad goes poof! there will be no evidence that one has or is holding it. With the present day fiat currency circulating, one can at least stuff a mattress or paper a room when it goes Poof!

• 3keepSECRETif2rDEAD3keepSECRETif2rDEAD Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭✭✭

...he may have gone to the right place to fake his own death but unfortunately it’s the wrong place to cash in that kind of karma...no amount of money will stop what is coming his way...if he’s still breathing ;)

• WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,034 ✭✭✭✭✭

P. T. Barnum had something to say about these schemes.

:)

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭✭✭

More of these fails to come.

email: ccacollectibles@yahoo.com

100% Positive BST transactions
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,793 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just got a call today from a guy who states he found a "physical bitcoin" and needed authentication. I told him I couldn't help, and that he needs to call the bitcoin dealer or (after telling me the last one sold for $28K) to list it on ebay.

• scubafuelscubafuel Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭✭✭

Everyone can see transactions into / out of that "wallet". That is the beauty of the blockchain. If bitcoins are leaving and he's the only one with the private key, then he's not dead.

• CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,499 ✭✭✭✭✭

Somebody please post the Monty Python "I'm not dead!" clip!

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

...does that include the "Parrot Sketch?"

No. The parrot was, indeed, dead.

That’s the one!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file