Home U.S. Coin Forum

2019 Platinum Proof, Preamble to the Declaration of Independence - Liberty (19EJ)

BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 19, 2019 8:50AM in U.S. Coin Forum

The second of the three coin "Preamble to the Declaration of Independence" series will be released on January 31. You can read more about the series on the US Mint American Eagle page.

Link to Mint web page:
2019 Platinum Proof, Preamble to the Declaration of Independence - Liberty (19EJ)

Mintage Limit: 15,000
Product Limit: 15,000
Household Order Limit: 1

HHL's will probably be lifted after 24 hours. Note mintage has been reduced from 20K last year to 15K this year.
EDIT: HHL's Lifted.

No price, nor is the 2019 PM schedule up yet. Last year's coin is currently on sale for $1220.
EDIT: Introductory price set at $1220

The 2019 Obverse

The common reverse for the three coin series

Last year's coin sales sits at 12,229 (from the Jan 13 sales data), and is still available here.

You can find the discussion about last year's coin here.

Comments

• ReadyFireAimReadyFireAim Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like it...Probably won't order one but it sure looks nice.

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭✭✭

Too much plain exergue for me. Show me some engraving talent in the background.

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52

• OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭✭✭

This will be a nice little three coin collection. The Eagle looks great!

• dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good reminiscence, @Smudge!

I beg to differ, though. IMHO, the plat proofs have been a island of creative engraving and design at the Mint for years now, in a sea otherwise of mediocrity and lack of artistry.

Lady Liberty is meh on this one, but that eagle soars!

• ranshdowranshdow Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭

They're offering these for sale at Long Beach. Flip, or no flip?

• SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 18, 2019 8:42PM

@dpoole said:
    Good reminiscence, @Smudge!

I beg to differ, though. IMHO, the plat proofs have been a island of creative engraving and design at the Mint for years now, in a sea otherwise of mediocrity and lack of artistry.

Lady Liberty is meh on this one, but that eagle soars!

Design is fine. Just prefer gold to platinum. Edit to add I like old coins better too.

• batumibatumi Posts: 796 ✭✭✭✭

I find the platinums an interesting as well as a beautiful series for bullion coins. Changing reverses-with changing obverses starting last year, really low mintages for most years, some issues really difficult to locate, along with a store of precious metal value even though that has slipped substantially. My guess they will stay relatively doemant until there is a spike in the platinum price, and the herd buying kicks in. They, and the modern gold commems are alike in the fact that there are low mintages for both-low interest at least for the present, and comparatively low prices. Imo, a couple of great ways to stack some bullion, as too the AGE's which also are obtainable for what seems like good prices. In searching older auction archives, I sense some flippers got killed on these.

• dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 20, 2019 12:12PM

@Smudge said:

"Design is fine. Just prefer gold to platinum. Edit to add I like old coins better too."

Boy, I agree with that, Smudge!

To continue our dance in our underpants:

Git me smoe new gold was my earlier goal
    'til I went and dug a really deep hole
    Modern gold coins ain't got the same soul
    Give me gold that's more than 80 years old!

• jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,298 ✭✭✭✭✭

There was an old man from Jurassic
    Who said, "I only want Classic"
    When buying his gold
    He bought only old
    Then his balance sheet suddenly went spastic :)

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • santinidollarsantinidollar Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not for me. Another Mint offering that looks more like a panel from a graphic novel.

• BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭

On sale today at Noon...

Bueller? Bueller?

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,611 ✭✭✭✭✭

Current sales: 12

• steelieleesteelielee Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭

At $1220, likely you're buried in it.

Many successful BST transactions with dozens of board members, references on request.
  • MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,300 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:
    Current sales: 12

Mintage:13

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.

Only 14,987 to go for a sellout! :)

I knew it would happen.
  • dmwestdmwest Posts: 947 ✭✭✭✭

should have used Palladium. :)

Don't quote me on that.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

While I do think that they are very artistically designed - far superior to most coins minted in modern times. I still prefer gold and it's inherent liquidity. Cheers, RickO

Oy....

From Coinnews.net:
    coinnews:2019 Proof Platinum Eagle Sales Reach 3,225 in First Day

Title of article says it all...

Sales through Feb 3: 4,607

• JimTylerJimTyler Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭✭✭

They're still selling last year so you can't count on 12/31/2019 for a low mintage.

• renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like the eagle, not a fan of lady "Siberty".

• FullStrikeFullStrike Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭

My winning plan for me. Let some Pro buy for spot + a Lot. They then get it graded and get a 70. Then they sit on it a few years then unload to ME ..... at Spot - ( minus ) a little.

Sorry bout your luck... but .... works for me. 😉

• SweetpieSweetpie Posts: 465 ✭✭✭

Since no 1 posted pix yet:

• SweetpieSweetpie Posts: 465 ✭✭✭

Reverse is def. more "swag"...

edited February 11, 2019 8:57PM

If I weren't already collecting Plats, I'd probably not spend the money at these humongous premiums. The 70FS chase for even more $$ has become stale as well.

I never thought I'd be saying these things. If you're a contrarian, it's time to back up the barge.

Edited to add, wow - the premium on PR-70 FS graded coins is $575 over issue price, which is ANOTHER $440 over spot platinum. It's time to boycott.

I knew it would happen.
  • botanistbotanist Posts: 524 ✭✭✭

The mint may reduce the 2019 proof platinum from $1220 to 1170 sometime around noon tomorrow, Wednesday, Feb 13, we'll have to wait and see if the average price for the week was below $800. Or if not, maybe it'll happen in one of the following weeks.

• FullStrikeFullStrike Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭

I used to buy multiples of the Platinum issues up through 2014. In 2015 there was a HHL of 1 so I was lucky to have snagged even one. I might have bought 2 in 2016 , although I really don't remember. After the final purchase of 1 in 2017, I've sat out. Don't like the Designs at all! They look like something more fitting of an Aluminum Token. At the Premiums they charge I want a MUCH BETTER Design.

👎👎

Feb 17 sales data:

2/10 - 2019 AM EAGLE PLATINUM PROOF 1 OZ 5,665
    2/17 - 2019 AM EAGLE PLATINUM PROOF 1 OZ 7,029

It could be worse, I guess...

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file