Home Precious Metals

Cryptocurrency nightmare

ttownttown Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
edited February 6, 2019 9:11AM in Precious Metals

Now ain't that a bitch.... guess they'll have to bring out the A team and their quantum computers. Hope no one here is affected, sounds like Canadians my be in for a shock.

https://www.foxnews.com/tech/cryptocurrency-exchange-chief-dies-with-passwords-needed-to-unlock-customers-190m-reports-say

Comments

• cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,549 ✭✭✭✭✭

While Robertson has Cotten’s laptop, she does not know its password and even a security expert has been unable to get past the device’s encryption.

LOL.....yeah sure.

Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here's to you mrs Robertson

• OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

"Okay I feel better now.. Ebay help me with my addition canceling my account of 23 years"

???????????

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • ttownttown Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    edited February 9, 2019 5:13PM
  • MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,123 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 5, 2019 3:02AM

@ttown said:

@OPA said:
    "Okay I feel better now.. Ebay help me with my addition canceling my account of 23 years"

???????????

Just got a typical dear John (valued customer) reply from Ebay. I told them I must be a sucker spending almost $15k since the first of the year and no promotions.

Dear John letters are for when they make you "no longer a registered user."

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,284 ✭✭✭✭✭

$16k since the first of the year (ie...just over a month) isn't really chump change.....I know there are bigger buyers on ebay, but I would think that ~$192,000 per year, by one buyer, is pretty good as an ebay user/member.

I spend CONSIDERABLY less and usually get a good number of the ebucks promotions. Not every single one, but a goodly number. I don't think I spend $16k in a year with them.

Of course, they claim it is all random. Their developers have something bogus going on.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• OuthaulOuthaul Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭✭✭

You can have your cryptocurrencies. I'll take the old readies any day.

Cheers

Bob

edited February 9, 2019 5:16PM
  • CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ttown said:

@OPA said:

???????????

Just got a typical dear John (valued customer) reply from Ebay. I told them I must be a sucker spending almost $15k since the first of the year and no promotions. Oh there going to give me Extra special deals on items I'm interested forthcoming.😡 I suggested maybe just posting a dear valued customer coupon on the major hobby boards (PCGS/NGC). It appears they've already have insiders.

I guess they don't think forums talked about them. While convenient I'll just go though each companies website, it's not like you really save money using them anyway, Ebay bucks makes it close and PayPal is a nice safeguard when dealing with individuals outside the big boys. For me sending money family/friends seem wrong to save3% although I've done it a couple times.

No big deal really I guess saves me at least 20 to 25k a year to spend elsewhere on my hobbies.
    They can 😘 Off.

This just goes to show you real problems. They better contact the NSA the FBI can't hack an iPhone ithey claim🤣😇

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1013693/ebay-bucks

It hit me wrong with the money I've spent as a valued member since 1997. No biggie really it's just chump change to them.

That post nails it. Ebay is a miss at most any curve.

• JimTylerJimTyler Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭✭✭

I get seller promotions sometimes and I'm glad I don't get buyer promotions. I would be tempted to buy crap I don't need.

• rcmb3220rcmb3220 Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭✭

I’m so confused.

• SweetpieSweetpie Posts: 465 ✭✭✭

@rcmb3220 said:
    I’m so confused.

Join the club.
    I'm still "decoding" how the OP's Ebay rant is related to this Cryto fund owner's death ...

• ShadyDaveShadyDave Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ttown Create a second ebay account. 97.9% of the time if I don't get a bucks promo on my main account, I get it on my secondary account....and having two accounts is well within the terms of use of ebay.

I also receive additional selling offers on my secondary account on occasion. Having two different accounts is a good way to keep your buying and selling separated.

@Sweetpie said:

@rcmb3220 said:
    I’m so confused.

Join the club.
    I'm still "decoding" how the OP's Ebay rant is related to this Cryto fund owner's death ...

don't get in the way of a good rant just go with the flow

edited February 9, 2019 5:18PM

ok just to clarify which of the ten commandments addresses having more than one ebay account?

• BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gawd i like a good stream of consciousness post! Made a few back in the day, but after 16 years, feel like I've said most of what there is to say, but new news provides different angles, so once in a while I'll get the spark and go into a musing.

So eBay and paypal used to take more of my time and energy, probably made 500 sales, and may list again as i have a lot of silver and a little gold I'd like to sell at favorable prices, which we read on here in other threads are just around the corner--except we turn the corner and silver is still under 20, never mind 30 so selling is on hold for the time being.

Still buying on ebay once in a blue moon, very little appeals anymore, They just keep cranking out more and more modern Stuff, disillusioning to see how many different kinds of bars and rounds there are, and how much easier bulk metal is to buy than sell.

The cryptos, no thanks, not seeing anything but ponzi schemes in coins and tokens, great for ground floor but it's getting late in the grift, of course the blockchain tech will be A Thing, but have no faith in Bitcoin nor especially smaller ones.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,794 ✭✭✭✭✭

I know a coin weenie who's hurting. I told him it would be okay, as long as he doesn't expect his U.S. Mint purchases to go up in value. Not that this has anything to do with crypto currency or ebay, but since he doesn't use a computer I thought it would be nice to rant for him :joy:

• Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's easy for me, "cash is king" !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,123 ✭✭✭✭✭

Buying on ebay and the stacking of generics:

The ebay market (and other big PM buyers) speaks -- generics do not command much of a resell premium if any or if back of spot.

Try some classic old gold. They are getting harder to sell at spot or over. However, they will never have the "bullion dreck" label. And I've gotten ahold of a lot of the common date saints in the run in AU. That is a great way to stack, imo.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's a good one !!! :)

Timbuk3