Home Q & A Forum
Options

Is this desired at all

1943 steel, not cleaned. condition?

Comments

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,536 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks to be a replated example...worth a dollar or so maybe a bit more.

bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭✭✭

Reprocessed steel cent. Little numismatic value.

• Options
    endzeitendzeit Posts: 17 ✭✭

I did not think of that. Reason being is that it was in a 1972 collection until now, the yellow is my light, I have two more almost perfect wheats that came with it and more. There is small oxidation around a small part of the rim. I will research your answer, thank you. Endzeit

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,936 ✭✭✭✭✭

Many, many thousands of 1943 steel cents were replated in the 1960s. They have little or no value other than as one cent.
    Even the raw originals have little value unless they are in major brand slabs with high MS grades.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2, 2019 8:54PM

In their original condition, the steel cents are satiny, not bright.

They were made of zinc coated steel. With time and circulation, the zinc becomes gray or dull on Mint State pieces.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    AotearoaAotearoa Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’ve got one in a PCGS slab graded MS65. I paid $15 for it. I guess that tells you something...

Smitten with DBLCs.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have two original rolls of '43 cents.... I did open one roll, they are clean with a satin like finish.... That cent has been re-plated.... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    SoldiSoldi Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭✭✭

@endzeit said:
    1943 steel, not cleaned. condition?

Surely you jest

• Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭✭✭

This should give you an idea of what the original finish looks like on a steelie

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,670 ✭✭✭✭✭

Satin good, shiny bad. Me tarzan!.

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall