Home Precious Metals

3 oz gold -or- 5 oz platinum

OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭✭✭

Which do you think will be worth more in 5 years, 3 ounces of gold or 5 ounces of platinum?

Based on current economic conditions and declining use of platinum, I would choose the gold.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

Comments

• KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gold. Unless we have spaceships

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• Jinx86Jinx86 Posts: 3,666 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have quite a few customers trading off gold to platinum at the moment.

Id go 2 gold 2 plat.

• jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,298 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 30, 2019 7:50PM

At current pricing and based upon historical ratios between the two (platinum is traditionally higher than gold), I'd buck the current trend and say that 5 oz. of platinum will do better than 3 oz of gold, possibly a lot better. All platinum has to do is to fight it's way back to 2/3 of being on par with gold - which doesn't seem like much of a stretch.

However, I also think that gold will do well 5 years out - and most likely much sooner than in 5 years.

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gold !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,123 ✭✭✭✭✭

platinum

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,123 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Jinx86 said:

Id go 2 gold 2 plat.

but that platinum spread. even if it isn't rhodium's it still hurts

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Jinx86Jinx86 Posts: 3,666 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MsMorrisine said:

@Jinx86 said:

Id go 2 gold 2 plat.

We ran a promo at the coin show over the weekend and had to make a run back to shop for another 20 because we had sold out. PT is hot.

• OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MsMorrisine said:

@Jinx86 said:

Id go 2 gold 2 plat.

If I were buying platinum, I would do it through an exchange traded fund to avoid the wide spread.

• TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,793 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll take both if that's okay. Divestiture is fun, like coins.

• PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,296 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TwoSides2aCoin said:

Did you mean diversification?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,409 ✭✭✭✭✭

both. it wont hurt anything and if we do go to space ships its all cool

• ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 31, 2019 9:44AM

Usually I'd say gold, but 5oz vs 3 in gold, I'd do the platinum this time...

• TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,793 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 31, 2019 10:16AM

@PerryHall said:

@TwoSides2aCoin said:

Did you mean diversification?

I mean "selling off some ____, to buy other ____. "

• 1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gold :smile:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• StuartStuart Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭✭✭

5 Ounces of Platinum.👍😁

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

"Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity"
  • mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭

Most of the people in Asia go with gold such as india, china, thailand, vietnam, etc so I'll stick with gold!

Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 11, 2019 7:38PM

Gold $1308
    Platinum $786

Difference $522

This is unprecedented, at least in modern times. You would think that platinum would retain some value as a PM even if all the industrial uses disappear. How low can it go?

• BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,284 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, a lot can happen in 5 years. Exploration, technological uses, political issues/policies, etc.

That said, if you have the crystal ball out, can you also let me know if either one will be MORE than the purchase price of today? (Ie.....will I lose not only the opportunity of the cash I would spend for them but also lose out on the actual purchase price?) To me, the latter is pretty relevant as well.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you are dying to buy platinum buy it in the forum yearly investment contest, that way you won't have to deal with finding a buyer for it.

Another example of when stacking should be relatively simple stackers contort themselves into buying the thing no one wants or has has ever wanted for reasons unknown.

@Jinx86 said:
    I have quite a few customers finally bailing us out of this wretched platinum that is making everyone at the shop violently ill whenever we look at it

:D

• jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,298 ✭✭✭✭✭

2019-W Proof Plat in PR-70 FS a mere $1,725 at MCM. Don't everyone get in all at once.

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.

@jmski52 said:
    2019-W Proof Plat in PR-70 FS a mere $1,725 at MCM. Don't everyone get in all at once.

we won't , we know better than to buy from MCM , you need to abandon your email address after ever purchase

• I’ve thought about this as well but for some reason I can’t bring my self to trade gold for platinum. I’ve even thought about actually trading some of my High End Numismatic Gold coins for platinum bullion but I don’t know

• @mkman123 said:
    Most of the people in Asia go with gold such as india, china, thailand, vietnam, etc so I'll stick with gold!

That’s a Great Poi t!

• ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bronco2078 said:

@jmski52 said:

we won't , we know better than to buy from MCM , you need to abandon your email address after ever purchase

I agree, it's ridiculous how much spam those places send out. :#

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I will stick with gold.... it is the most trusted metal and always liquid...Cheers, RickO

@asheland said:

@bronco2078 said:

@jmski52 said:

I agree, it's ridiculous how much spam those places send out. :#

I wouldn't even mind if it was emails about stuff I'd buy.But I don't need first strike darth vader reverse proofs from Niue. Its all high margin crap 80 bucks for an ounce of silver