Home Precious Metals

Neighbor Found Late Husband's Gold - Opinions?

Long story short, the lady next door's husband passed away a few years ago. She was cleaning and found a bag full of coins. Mostly peace dollars. There were two gold pieces. I don't know much about gold coins, but these do weigh properly. They don't look to me to have 100+ years of patina, so maybe they've been cleaned? Anyway, here are some pics. Any ideas how she could sell them for a reasonable amount. What should she reasonably expect for these?

https://imgur.com/gallery/V173a6L

Thanks for any help you all are willing to provide. She's a great neighbor and I want to help her!

Comments

• KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 27, 2019 9:40AM

She can go to local coin dealer and see what he will offer

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• To be clear, there are 2 coins:
    1. LIBERTY HEAD $10 - 1894
    2. LIBERTY HEAD $20 - 1907

• HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coinundrum said:
    Long story short, the lady next door's husband passed away a few years ago. She was cleaning and found a bag full of coins. Mostly peace dollars. There were two gold pieces. I don't know much about gold coins, but these do weigh properly. They don't look to me to have 100+ years of patina, so maybe they've been cleaned? Anyway, here are some pics. Any ideas how she could sell them for a reasonable amount. What should she reasonably expect for these?

https://imgur.com/gallery/V173a6L

Thanks for any help you all are willing to provide. She's a great neighbor and I want to help her!

OP pics:

• StuartStuart Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 27, 2019 11:22AM

I’ll comment on the The 1907 $20 Liberty Double Eagle with respect to the following👇edited OP’s photos.

The coin appears to be an attractive high-end AU-55 to 58, probably lightly wiped or cleaned, based on the different appearing mint luster between the unprotected & protected areas of the coin that are circled in the following photos, in addition to possibly a polished Miss Liberty profile (face & cheek).

I hope this is helpful...

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

"Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity"
  • AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,515 ✭✭✭✭✭

Certainly values can be researched on completed ebay sales. Pretty easy to give her an idea of retail. She should expect less obviously.

bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭✭✭

Likely be offered somewhere between $1695 ~ $1850, depending on spot at the time.

• Thanks for the replies so far. Took these to a local pawn shop (LCS is closed, so I'll try to take them there this week) and was told that these were cleaned. Offer was spot - 20 percent. No doubt we can do better than that. :)

• MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,123 ✭✭✭✭✭

you can do better than spot - 20%

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,875 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 27, 2019 3:18PM

As of today

spot for an ounce of gold -20%
    @$1,308.80 = $1,047.04

Gold in Twenty dollar eagle
    $1,260.45 -20% =$965.16

thanks @derryb

• derrybderryb Posts: 36,110 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Swampboy said:
    As of today

@$1,308.80 = $1,047.04

$1,206.45 -20% =$965.16

based on current spot, gold content in the $20 is $1260 not $1206. gold content of the $10 is $630

The decline from democracy to tyranny is both a natural and inevitable one.

• OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

what derry said....

with luck you might get spot for those 2 cleaned common date "bullion coins"...roughly $1,900 or on a good day: spot -5% ($1,820)

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • @VanHalen said:
    There's a website called coinflation dot com that gives you quick, up-to-date melt values on gold and silver coins. I have found it to be a reliable quick reference guide.

You've got about $1900 in gold in those two coins. While they do appear to be a bit "polished up", I've seen far worse so don't take much under melt value. 20% back of melt is way too low, that's damn near $400! Best of luck and thanks for helping out your neighbor.

Thanks! Oddly enough, I was just looking at that very site! Agree, 20% back is way too low. I'd write a check for that!

• SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,875 ✭✭✭✭✭

@derryb said:

@Swampboy said:
    As of today

@$1,308.80 = $1,047.04

$1,206.45 -20% =$965.16

based on current spot, gold content in the $20 is $1260 not $1206. gold content of the $10 is $630

Thanks
    Typo I'll fix that

• ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:
    Common dates. Cleaned, polished. Melt value.

Agree. That sums it up. The closer to spot you can get, the better.

• blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭✭✭

What's up with the denticles @ 7 o'clock on the obverse of that $10 Lib?

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good luck !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • rte592rte592 Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looking at past results from the bay....
    Less the 13% in fees.
    Spot -10 is the about the average
    (if the deal doesn't go south)

• TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,794 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll bid $1950.

• @TwoSides2aCoin said:
    I'll bid $1950.

PM sent!

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice of you to help your neighbor....stay away from that pawn shop...I am sure you will get better offers right here or the BST...Good luck, Cheers, RickO

• SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe just hang on to it. A little gold is nice to have.