Home Precious Metals

Older Art Bars Pricing-Grading

Are you as a collector willing to pay more for art bars that are mark free and perfect contrast? Has anyone addressed grading art bars?

Hey they grade baseball cards and comic books right?

What say you?

Comments

• YQQYQQ Posts: 3,264 ✭✭✭✭✭

what criteria are you using or proposing to grade bars?
    I have 2 rare hand poured engelhard 50 gr left from the 60ties. if you like to can give it a go?
    see them here...
    https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1007089/engelhard-50-gram-vintage-gold-bars#latest
    thanks

Today is the first day of the rest of my life
  • YQQYQQ Posts: 3,264 ✭✭✭✭✭

there seems to be a bi mix up.
    I posted a link to my original post here instead of repeating all that stuff.
    oh well, technic... took over
    sorry guys

Today is the first day of the rest of my life
  • mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭

pretty simple question , do people pay the same amount for a banged up scratched up pre-1981 silver bar as for a perfect example or do they pay more? What "criteria" is used in paying more? Do die struck early silver bar collectors "grade" bars in some way?

• ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think the art bars struck like coins I treat them the same, marked up, polished, etc = lower offer.
    Assuming they are better bars scarce, otherwise they are bullion and it doesn't really matter.

• WildIdeaWildIdea Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭✭✭

I tend to be more attracted to mint state art bars. How much more I’m willing to pay depends on the bar, but mostly, I pay the same and just happier if the piece isn’t beat up.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I do have a couple of art bars, and buy them when it is something I am interested in... i.e. I have a Secretariat bar, a Mother's Day bar and a couple of others. I would not buy one that was scratched, dinged or tarnished.....Nor do I pay a significant premium over spot (sure, some premium). Cheers, RickO

• mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭

RickO, I'm probably near that category but then started looking at actual solds and was surprised a little. I don't know why I was surprised because I was one of the guys scrapping lots and lots of these bars back in the day. Yup, whole sets dumped right in the barrel. It was happening so fast and nobody had enough money to save all the really cool ones that came across the showcase as there were at times lines.
    I was more on the buying wholesale end as I bought from several jewelry stores and coin shops, everything they got I got. So for sure I've seen and taken part in scrapping them. On the other hand I've always liked them too, and if kept like new then all the better. I've been looking thru the Kidd book and some of the premiums, if they were coins, whew would these be considered cheap.