Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Bought my First U.S Gold Coin

KyleKyle Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 24, 2019 5:16AM in U.S. Coin Forum

When I started collecting U.S. coins years ago I primarily purchased silver coins, and dabbled in both copper and nickel from time to time, but never owned any gold. To start off 2019 I decided to finally pull the trigger and buy my first gold coin! Over the past year or so I have been gravitating towards putting together a type set, and this is just another step in that direction.

The coin has attractive toning on both the obverse and reverse and is graded MS-62 by PCGS. For the grade, I thought the surfaces looked excellent compared to other 62 examples that I looked at, the only drawback (and likely what kept the coin from grading higher) is that the luster is somewhat subdued because of the heavy toning (more so on the reverse). Nevertheless, I am ecstatic to add such a clean looking example to my collection.

Thanks again @FadeToBlack for the images. If anyone is interested, here is a link to the full-scale obverse and reverse photos.

Successful BST Transactions With: tonedase, streg2, airplanenut, coindeuce, vibr0nic, natetrook, Shrub68, golden, Lakesammman, drddm, Ilikecolor, CoinJunkie, wondercoin, lablover

Comments

• Options
    ReadyFireAimReadyFireAim Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭✭✭

Refreshingly different...I like it

• Options
    AlexinPAAlexinPA Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice; keep up the good work. :)

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

You cannot beat gold, love it!

• Options
    MarkMark Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like that coin. I think that maybe the couple of gouges on the reverse and the small hairlines on the front may be what set the grade because I very much like the toning on the coin. All and all, I think it's a nice looking example, one I would be happy to own. (Of course, I'd be even happier if it were given to me ... hint, hint. :) )

Mark

• Options
    GluggoGluggo Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good for you Kyle. I am the same way a few years ago now I almost can fill my box of 20. Mostly 1/4 oz gold a few 1 ozrs. All grades especially those Indian ones like you have they say one very common for counterfeits. There are many here who sell them once in a while who are long time members which make it more safe to buy on the BST. Enjoy that Indian coin she is a beauty. And that picture is outstanding. Yes that FadetoBlack a very good member here!

• Options
    JimTylerJimTyler Posts: 3,054 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like that one

• Options
    jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,076 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats!!

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,686 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats! You started off well.
    I've had a blast the last three years putting together the 12 piece type set! I only lack the $3... :smiley:

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,973 ✭✭✭✭✭

No such thing as bad gold......Yours is especially nice.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    PhilLynottPhilLynott Posts: 881 ✭✭✭✭✭

Grats on the pickup! It's definitely addicting.

The liberty series is definitely underrated. You can get some absolutely blazing examples of the $2.50 libs for super reasonable prices.

• Options
    KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice start to your gold collection. Enjoy

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• Options
    SimpleCollectorSimpleCollector Posts: 536 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice start to your gold collection. I will echo what some others said....you will likely be bitten by the gold bug... I was last year, and it is now my primary focus

• Options
    Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats on your first gold piece. Hopefully it’s a start of many more.

• Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,052 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice pickup.

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,502 ✭✭✭✭✭

nicep pick up. I hope you get some more as well

• Options
    LJenkins11LJenkins11 Posts: 726 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sweet looking coin and congrats on the acquisition. I like that photo as well.

• Options
    3stars3stars Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭✭✭

Once you get one, you're going to be hooked for life! In a few years, the symptoms include getting darkside gold (Sovereigns, Mexican, etc).

Previous transactions: Wondercoin, goldman86, dmarks, Type2
  • Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice, congratulations !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • Options
    mvs7mvs7 Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats! Once you start buying gold, it is hard to stop. :)

• Options
    dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

Can't go wrong with those. Nice one!

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like it. Strong strike on both sides IMO. Enjoy. The native American and the eagle are well presented. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    mirabelamirabela Posts: 4,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gold is good! That's a really appealing $2.5 Indian. I like the subtle and interesting color, and the nice clean surfaces. I always like a type coin to have a little something special, and that one does.

mirabela
  • Options
    KyleKyle Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 24, 2019 5:22AM

Thanks for all the comments everyone, really glad to finally add some gold to my collection.

Some great examples posted above as well, thanks for sharing!

Successful BST Transactions With: tonedase, streg2, airplanenut, coindeuce, vibr0nic, natetrook, Shrub68, golden, Lakesammman, drddm, Ilikecolor, CoinJunkie, wondercoin, lablover
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,686 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Kyle said:
    Thanks for all the comments everyone, really glad to finally add some gold to my collection.

Some great examples posted above as well, thanks for sharing!

You gotta get the $5 Indian next!

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭✭✭

Am I the only one who thinks that looks like a frosted proof? I do not think it is, just sort of similar.

• Options
    Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭✭✭

Love it!!! I like slabbed gold, but there is just something spectacular about gold in those capital holders. Great set, Paradise!

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Getting bit by the gold bug may be incurable in many cases... ;) Sure happened to me.... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,052 ✭✭✭✭✭

My dad bought me my first gold coin in 1967 in Daytona Beach. It was a $5 Liberty in AU or so for $17. He had a roll of them. We thought about buying the whole roll but didn't.

• Options
    AlexinPAAlexinPA Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

You can't go wrong with gold.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file