Home U.S. Coin Forum

Are there any great error collectors and pedigrees?

ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 20, 2019 5:26PM in U.S. Coin Forum

For regular US coins, there are many well known collectors in the "collectors hall of fame". Are there such collectors who focus on errors? Are there error pedigrees that appear on slabs? There are lots of errors out there and many go for big premiums but I haven't heard of any.

Comments

• ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have seen a few error coins pedigreed as "The New England Collection" if I remember correctly.

I do not like pedigree on error coins.

Many of the major error coins that I have, have multiple errors on one coin and I need all the room on the label that I can get for the most information possible. So many error labels lack a true full description.

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 20, 2019 5:55PM

I'm thinking if there were some more famous pedigrees, there could be more interest in error coins because people would be building up reputations along with their collections. It's curious pedigrees aren't more popular with error collectors.

• RegulatedRegulated Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mick Arconti put together a phenomenal set of Large Cents that was sold in 2003.

David McCarthy - Kagin's - IG: X_COINNERD_X

What is now proved was once only imagined. - William Blake
  • RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

There are lots of errors in coin records of possession. Almost every auction catalog has a bunch.

("Pedigree" refers to origin or ancestry, not to ownership or possession. A coin "pedigree" would refer to the place/date circumstances of the coin's manufacture, not to who might have owned it.)

:)

edited January 20, 2019 6:14PM

@RogerB said:
    "Pedigree" refers to origin or ancestry, not to ownership or possession. A coin "pedigree" would refer to the place/date circumstances of the coin's manufacture, not to who might have owned it.)

You may be strictly right, but I’ve learned it’s hard to change the coin hobby. I tried to get the New Haven Restrike Fugios to be called the Scovill Manufacturing Replica Fugios in the past but was unsuccessful.

• DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,974 ✭✭✭✭✭

There are Bill Fivaz errors and varieties out there to be had.

Doug
  • MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,892 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some of Harrison Phillips’ errors were slabbed with provenance.

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • NysotoNysoto Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭✭✭

Russ Logan had hundreds of errors in his auction, he collected errors by die marriage. All coins were raw. Here is an edge error from the Logan sale, 1831 (glad it is not in a slab):

Robert Scot: Engraving Liberty - biography of US Mint's first chief engraver
    edited January 20, 2019 10:16PM

@MrEureka said:
    Some of Harrison Phillips’ errors were slabbed with provenance.

Good one. @Byers handled this one a while back. This is interesting in that there's no date or stars yet.

https://mikebyers.com/60107310.html

This unique off-center brockage Morgan Dollar was originally in the Harrison Phillips Collection auctioned by Bowers & Merena at the 2003 ANA in Baltimore. This is a spectacular major mint error in the Morgan Dollar series. It is unique and the only known brockage. Since it is quite circulated it was obviously carried as a pocket piece and it is amazing that it survived. Because of its unique status, size and dramatic appearance, it was the favorite of many mint error collectors and will be talked about for years to come. This is a once in a lifetime opportunity.

• CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Northern Nevada broken Dollar comes to mind.

edited January 20, 2019 11:07PM

@Coinstartled said:
    The Northern Nevada broken Dollar comes to mind.

Northern Nevada actually has a fairly impressive error collection in addition to the Broken CC piece. Would be great to see all of them with TrueViews.

https://www.brokencc.com/modules.php?title=coin-error-gallery-photos&mod=Gallery

Of note, they have some with the Harrison Phillips pedigree but don't seem to have any with their own.

• RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

Zoins - Yep. I understand; but one must try.

On the subject of error collections, I've seen members mention collections of "ballistic rolls" and gold washed state quarters -- seems to me these are entirely "errors in collecting" if not "collecting errors."

;)

• derrybderryb Posts: 36,118 ✭✭✭✭✭

I believe forum member Fred Weinberg is the go to error guy for at least one major TPG. Surely he has a nice error collection.

The decline from democracy to tyranny is both a natural and inevitable one.

• BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 21, 2019 11:52AM

I own some of the slab pedigree Harrison Phillips collection errors.

The catalog below is by error dealer Natalie Halpern who handled the Milt Cohen collection type set.

https://minterrornews.com/features-11-14-06-milt_cohen_collection.html

Fred Weinberg as I recall handled the Conway Bolt collection of errors in the 1970's.

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
    edited January 21, 2019 11:46AM

Here's the Standing Liberty Quarter Errors from the Harrison Phillips & Conway Bolt Collections.

1929-S 25C SLQ Broadstruck Out Of Collar PCGS MS64

imageimage

1929-S 25C SLQ Off Center PCGS MS63

imageimage

• ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

What if I pedigree my coins that I bought from Jon who bought from Fred?

Fred/Jon/Me Collection

LOL

@ErrorsOnCoins said:
    What if I pedigree my coins that I bought from Jon who bought from Fred?

Fred/Jon/Me Collection

LOL

Your errors might sell for less if you added your name to the Provenance chain? ;):D

• FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,714 ✭✭✭✭✭

Conway Bolt Collection from 1974 pops into my mind.

(those 1929-S B/S Quarters come from that collection)

There are numerous 'big' error collections known by
    their owners' names; not on any labels, however.

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,471 ✭✭✭✭✭

Key Koins (a Western New York dealer) has compiled a significant U.S. error collection.

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

@FredWeinberg said:
    Conway Bolt Collection from 1974 pops into my mind.

(those 1929-S B/S Quarters come from that collection)

There are numerous 'big' error collections known by
    their owners' names; not on any labels, however.

Thanks FredWeinberg! :)

That's right... Conway Bolt just slipped my mind :(

@coindeuce said:
    Key Koins (a Western New York dealer) has compiled a significant U.S. error collection.

I bought errors from Tom at Key, but are they still in business as the website defunct about 8 years ago?

• coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,471 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Broadstruck said:

@coindeuce said:

I bought errors from Tom at Key, but are they still in business as the website defunct about 8 years ago?

Tom still operates at local shows in Buffalo and Rochester. I'm proud to say that one of the premier pieces in his collection was previously handled by me - a double struck 1795 2 Leaves Flowing Hair Dollar.

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• ByersByers Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭✭✭

Fred-

NGC is putting my name (BYERS COLLECTION) on some of the inserts, of some of my mint errors. Some I sold, some I still own.

IMG_9016.PNG

mikebyers.com Dealer in Major Mint Errors, Die Trials & Patterns - Author of NLG Best World Coin Book World's Greatest Mint Errors - Publisher & Editor of minterrornews.com.

@Byers said:
    Fred-

NGC is putting my name (BYERS COLLECTION) on some of the inserts, of some of my mint errors. Some I sold, some I still own.

Wait those are just your dealer inventory... Now I know that every dealers inventory is basically their collection until items sell, but if every dealer starts adding label pedigrees what a mess that would be.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file