Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

the non-sports card & oddballs thread

han_sotohan_soto Posts: 891 ✭✭✭

apologies in advance to the strictly sports cards guys, but since they terminated the non-sports card forum, we'll have to park it here.

kicking off the the thread with a white whale that's been on my radar for several years. was surprised to snag it for less than $5, i think.

1983 nellba swedish star wars #219 boba fett:

and while i was trying to offset an international shipping fee I snagged this superman & muhammed ali card:

1983 nellba swedish #32 ali & superman:

Comments

• miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am interested to hear more info you have about 1983 Nellba; the Superman/Ali card is always holdered as 1978 Samlarsaker

• wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭

i bought this outside my typical wrestling card collection.

BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 9, 2019 1:06PM

@han_soto

Cool! I never saw the card before, but the artwork is from a panel from the Superman vs. Muhammad Ali DC Treasury comic.

• PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭✭✭

@han_soto said:

@PaulMaul said:

what year was the comic released?

and was there a cartoon too?

ETA: and who won the match? had to be a tie, right?

i remember like mr t and globe trotters w scooby-doo smash ups back in the day.

i actually picked up a swedish comic of superman w batman appearance from this guy too. i’ll scan a copy and load it. had a very modest comic collection back in the day.

primarily bought it for the cover and graphics.

The comic came out in Spring of 1978. No cartoon that I know of.

Ali beats Supes, because Superman’s powers have been removed by the alien orchestrators of the match “to make it fair,” and Ali is obviously the better boxer. It’s a long story and there’s a lot more to it than that.

• pab1969pab1969 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭✭✭

Angus Young is the man! Beautiful card and auto. Of course I may be a little biased.

• KNAPPKNAPP Posts: 654 ✭✭✭

Ali - Superman

the KNAPP collection - specializing in boxing and wrestling
    Always looking to buy or trade for Andre the Giant autographs
    psacard.com/psasetregistry/non-sports/famous-personage/andre-giant-master-set/alltimeset/180400

• miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭✭✭

@han_soto said:
    you very well could be right!

again, it was an additional pick up to the fett.

Thanks for the reply. The Ali/Superman and Fett are definitely not from the same set; just was wondering about the 1983 set you mentioned. I'm really up to date on Swedish sets from pre-war through 70's in general, but I only really know the hockey sets from '80's through modern for Swedish issue, and don't know non-hockey Swedish stuff from those more modern years.

• ahopkinsahopkins Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭✭✭

Check out this site for Star Wars cards,

andydukes.co.uk/allyears.htm

Andy

And here's the Nellba Set.

andydukes.co.uk/swedish.htm

Andy

• UFFDAHUFFDAH Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭✭✭

Saw AC/DC the summer of 88'. White Lion opened for them. Angus mooned us while playing.

I got to see AC/DC four times. There is no way you could walk away and not be impressed with the energy that Angus brings!

Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

@han_soto said:
    will dig up some more from the oddball music box.

Well, if this is going to be that kind of party (really wishing I had a Beastie Boys card right now) ...

It's pretty much a requirement to pick up some fun stuff whenever going after any of the Dutch Gum or Swedish cards.

• @han_soto said:
    that comic:

:/

The art of simplicity is a puzzle of complexity

• rmh111985rmh111985 Posts: 390 ✭✭✭✭

Not mine, but a buddy of mine has hundreds of Motley Crue cards, action figures and other oddball stuff. I saw them 4 times on their final tour with Alice Cooper. The last show had floor seats, and high-fived Tommy Lee and Vince Neil on their way to the back stage. I probably should've gotten a penicillin shot immediately after, but thus far there have been no ill side effects.

Main collecting focus is Patrick Roy playing days 85/86-02/03, expect 1/1, National/All-Star stamped cards.PC Completion: 2,548/2,952; 86.31% My Patrick Roy PC Website:https://proy33collector.weebly.com

My aunt was good friends with the woman who was in the Van Halen "Hot for Teacher" music video. I had a work conference a few months ago and met her for lunch. She is a really great person.

• magicpapamagicpapa Posts: 634 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 11, 2019 12:21AM

@rmh111985 said:
    Not mine, but a buddy of mine has hundreds of Motley Crue cards, action figures and other oddball stuff. I saw them 4 times on their final tour with Alice Cooper. The last show had floor seats, and high-fived Tommy Lee and Vince Neil on their way to the back stage. I probably should've gotten a penicillin shot immediately after, but thus far there have been no ill side effects.

GOTTA LOVE ALICE!!!!!

Daughter bought me tickets to that tour too B)

@han_soto said:
    1983 nellba swedish star wars #219 boba fett:

I've got about 10 Star Wars cards from this set I finally dug up. It appears it was released in multiple series. The ones I have in the 200's have either blank backs or stamped like the bottom one in bottom of the picture below. The ones in the 300's are missing the TM/copyright/date line on the front, but the backs are like the top of the picture below.

@han_soto said:
    lc,

didnt know this! will have to go check the back of mine now.

any updates on the copes?

Haven't heard anything from Mike recently, I'll try to get in touch with him over the weekend.

edited January 19, 2019 1:43AM

@han_soto said:

@magicpapa said:

GOTTA LOVE ALICE!!!!!

gotta! ironically, I think the title of the original non-sports thread was after an alice cooper song “welcome to my nightmare”. the first card was of alice and jason vorhees if im not mistaken.

lc,

didnt know this! will have to go check the back of mine now.

any updates on the copes?

Seen his Nightmare tour
    back in 1975
    Great show

• stevegarveyfanstevegarveyfan Posts: 578 ✭✭✭✭✭

kinda sports I guess?

edited January 19, 2019 1:55AM

Hand Made With TLC for a 5000 post Contest, signed them in Gold and sent them to the winners

heres the youtube link if anyones interested

https://youtube.com/watch?v=Ef2KNL8u5HU

@magicpapa said:
    kinda sports I guess?

Ooh, I like those! What's the story on those?

edited January 19, 2019 5:05PM

@stevegarveyfan said:

@magicpapa said:
    kinda sports I guess?

Ooh, I like those! What's the story on those?

mail in thur Ziplock baggies

if your interested, I might have a extra one of theses there from the allstar game in MN 2014 I think

@BALROG said:

Whoa. I'm blown away.

• DoctorKDoctorK Posts: 867 ✭✭✭

I purchased a small lot of cards from a local estate sale today, mainly because I spotted a 1961 Topps Mantle HR #406 card in it. I didn't have the opportunity to search through the lot until I made it home. I thought of this thread when I did. Might as well jump into it.

Just because.

Hair we go:

@DoctorK said:
    I purchased a small lot of cards from a local estate sale today, mainly because I spotted a 1961 Topps Mantle HR #406 card in it. I didn't have the opportunity to search through the lot until I made it home. I thought of this thread when I did. Might as well jump into it.

Just because.

Hair we go:

Those Nelson chicks are HOT.

:)

• pjb103183pjb103183 Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭

• pjb103183pjb103183 Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭

Those are awesome! Nice to see some deadheads out there! These are from the last time I saw them:

Deadhead here.

Andy