Home U.S. Coin Forum

Possible duplicate mint marks?

Has anyone seen a 1984 penny that looks like this? It looks the mint mark was punched twice. There is also something that looks like an "o" above his tie. I am assuming that was damage, but could the mintmark

have been re-punched? I am including a normal looking 1984 D penny for comparison.

Tagged:

Comments

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,898 ✭✭✭✭✭

The photo needs to magnify the mintmark area. The current photos are not clear enough to make any call.

All glory is fleeting.
  • RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 17, 2019 10:40AM

Here's the OP's photo with extraneous material cropped, sharpened as much as is reasonable and the mintmark tonal range enhanced. Not sure if it will help.

Advertisement: Posters -- PLEASE crop your photos. No one wants to see reflections of your smiling face, or battery status of your toy phone. "Just the coin and nothing but the coin, so help you authentication!"

• Ok, thanks. I took a couple of pictures with my magnifying viewer that projects onto my laptop. I hope this is clearer. I also attached a picture of the circle under his chin. Thanks

• FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,714 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like a copper plating blister.

For some reason, that's a fairly common
    area for this anomaly to occur.

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree with Fred, either plating bubble or die chips... Cheers, RickO

• HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry, spent more time trying to figure out what was in the background reflections around the coin in the OP.

• Thanks for the help and the link!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file