Home U.S. Coin Forum

1990 proof penny?

Hey guys this is 1990 penny, what about proof one's? Is this the one?

Comments

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,896 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why would you think that is a proof?

All glory is fleeting.
  • RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

No. A modern proof coin has mirror-like fields and frosted relief. Your 1990 cent was struck for circulation (which is just a part of the Mint's 'business')

• AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here's the real deal from Coin Facts. I'm not sure of the diagnostics, as they are not listed in the CPG.

Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,515 ✭✭✭✭✭

first thing to look at is the overall look. If that passes then examine the rim for squared rims and not rounded. If that passes you probably have a proof.

bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • @291fifth said:
    Why would you think that is a proof?

Yes I doubt, Coz It's more shinier brighter and very much clear and visible with no mint marks, so if in this case may be.

• JBKJBK Posts: 14,637 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 31, 2018 7:37AM

If you were looking only at proof sets, the chance of finding a missing S proof cent would be incredibly small. If you are trying to find one in pocket change the chances are pretty much impossible.

All new business strike cents are shiny and bright. Some might even be proof like.

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭✭✭

Someone needs to read about proof vs business strike or buy yourself an example proof set to have on hand. Not expensive. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52

• CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,250 ✭✭✭✭✭

I own a 1990 no S proof cent in a PCGS holder.
    This coin is not a proof in my opinion.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not a proof. Normal business strike that has not seen that much business.

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,427 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 31, 2018 7:07AM

@Akbeez said:
    Here's the real deal from Coin Facts. I'm not sure of the diagnostics, as they are not listed in the CPG.

As it shows in this picture, the modern Proof coins have a dramatic look to them. All of them are now Cameo Proofs, which makes their appearance dramatically different from the business strikes.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

The above responses list proof diagnostics, none of which appear on the coin in the OP.... Just a business strike cent. Cheers, RickO

• Thank you all 👍 much appreciated 🙂

• @JBK said:
    If you were looking only at proof sets, the chance of finding a missing S proof cent would be incredibly small. If you are trying to find one in pocket change the chances are pretty much impossible.

All new business strike cents are shiny and bright. Some might even be proof like.

Alright! And what double die proofs! Looks like something is there when you flip it..

• @ricko said:
    The above responses list proof diagnostics, none of which appear on the coin in the OP.... Just a business strike cent. Cheers, RickO

Alright! And what double die proofs! Looks like something is there when you flip it..

• @Hemispherical said:
    This may help... this is the process of making proof coins by the US Mint.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LZMAY-53a-A

• @Batman23 said:
    Not a proof. Normal business strike that has not seen that much business.

• OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 1, 2019 1:05PM

@Mahaveer_singh said:

@JBK said:

1. Your coin IS NOT a proof. It is a standard business strike
    2. What you see on the reverse is die deterioration doubling. This is not considered an error and adds no additional value to your coin.
    3. There may be a minor die crack coming from the left side of the Lincoln Memorial. Once again, this does not add any value
    Member of the ANA since 1982
  • BUFFNIXXBUFFNIXX Posts: 2,697 ✭✭✭✭✭

Baaawaaaah!
    NO!

Collector of Buffalo Nickels and other 20th century United States Coinage
    a.k.a "The BUFFINATOR"
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,793 ✭✭✭✭✭

Look for contrast between the fields and devices. The devices on proofs show a frost ( typically) while the fields tend to be mirrorlike.

A bright Uncirculated example in mint state can easily confuse many. Don't be confused, but always ask questions.

• BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,400 ✭✭✭✭✭

Calm down Mr. BUFFINATOR. All in all it's just another proof coin in the wall.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭✭✭

Take a penny, leave a penny.

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,409 ✭✭✭✭✭

that looks like a business strike to me as well, jmo

• fiftysevenerfiftysevener Posts: 896 ✭✭✭✭

Rims are usually a give-a-way.

• Well it looks like proof to me!

:s

Here's your coin's brother, and it's not a proof either:

edited January 16, 2019 10:15AM

@Mahaveer_singh People try to deceive all the time. The above proof set has been expertly opened and this business strike Philly cent was substituted for the 1990s cent in the set and then resealed. I keep it on my desk as a reminder to be careful and make sure it's what you think it is before you pull the trigger.

PS: I got my set for free, didn't pay a cent for it after explaining to a customer what it was he just threw it across the room and left. I suspect, don't really know for sure, that he was the one that switched the coins. He thought he was going to fool me and make a killing (never saw him before or since).

• BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,400 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Mahaveer_singh said:
    Well it looks like proof to me!

What it looks like and what it really is are 2 different things. Keep it, but listen to the good advice given here by experts, please.

The IS why you visited here, correct?

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon

@BuffaloIronTail said:

@Mahaveer_singh said:

What it looks like and what it really is are 2 different things. Keep it, but listen to the good advice given here by experts, please.

The IS why you visited here, correct?

Pete

I am starting to think he just visited to find someone to validate his fantasies while ignoring all other opinions.

• RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Mahaveer_singh said:

If you are expert enough to "know" your 1990 cent is a "proof," then why did you bother to post it and ask for help? (It's a circulation strike coin - worth 1-cent - nothing more.)

Try listening to the people here - that are giving you honest information.

• Mahaveer_singhMahaveer_singh Posts: 44 ✭✭
    edited January 18, 2019 1:40PM

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file