Home U.S. Coin Forum

Possible Error Mercury Dime

FantasianFantasian Posts: 11
edited December 20, 2018 11:40AM in U.S. Coin Forum

When I was looking through my collection I found a 1924 mercury dime with a strange marking. Under the "E Pluribus Unum" there is a faint 2. I can't get a good picture since I can only see it when reflected at certain angles. If any of you know what it is, if it's rare or common, please let me know.

Comments

• Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you look closely at just about any group of coins you will eventually find every numeral and every letter of the alphabet. That's probably what you have. You ARE seeing a "2." The chances that it is mint made are slim to none.

• HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Fantasian Welcome to the PCGS forum!

Some say pictures are worth a thousand words. Take the picture at the angle you see it and post it.

• Thank you! I will try to get some pictures, but i'm not sure if my camera will be able to get it.

• FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,714 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's pareidolia

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • I would agree with that, because that's what I thought at first too, but when I asked my family members if they saw something, they said they saw a "2" as well. I did not specify what they were looking for, instead they saw it on their own.

• Here is the pic with the "2" the
    camera i have does not do the coin justice, it is really hard to see with this low of resolution.

• 1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Even with the red outline, I'm not seeing a '2'.
    Have you done any research online?
    Keep us posted. :smile:
    Thanks for sharing it here.

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

I see a "2" or an "S." Did you read my post above. Also look up "pareidolia." Now, see if you can find the "O" I can also see on your coin.

..What is somewhat a little more interesting is what appears to be a dot at the bottom of the axe blade. It caught my attention first. Just a curiosity.

Staples.

Have fun and enjoy the hobby.

Just a curious... what is that dot (bottom of axe blade).

Staples.

https://coinweek.com

edited December 20, 2018 1:27PM

Just curious... what is that dot (bottom of axeblade).

Edit. Smash the staples.

Edit to edit. Getting that comment approval thing.

@Hemispherical said:
    Just a curious... what is that dot (bottom of axeblade).

Staples.

It is either a hit on the coin or some debris.

@Hemispherical said:
    Just a curious... what is that dot (bottom of axe blade).

Staples.

It is either a hit on the coin or some debris.

• FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,714 ✭✭✭✭✭

with a coin worn that much, I'm
    kinda surprised there's not more
    'stuff' on it.

Not an error, Not a '2', not anything
    that was made at the US Mint.

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Thank you all for the comments! It really helped me out. I'm going to take it to one of the reputable coin dealers around here to see if its even silver. As for the dot, it's just some debris.

It is a 90% silver dime.

• LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭

That dime is worth somewhere between 2 and 3 dollars.
    Most of the value is in the silver content.

• DDODDO Posts: 44 ✭✭

It's a good possibility.

• I know this discussion is probably dead now... but just in case.

• KeithMS70KeithMS70 Posts: 192 ✭✭✭

I see a 2

edited January 16, 2019 2:18AM

Possibly see a small hit with a whiter circular discoloration around the hit on the field. PMD, not a Mint error.

Specs: 90% silver, 10% copper, 2.5 grams

• yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,572 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 16, 2019 4:58AM

Yes, it resembles a 2.
    Basically it is a coincidence that the the wear on the coin has yielded a shape like that.

If you saw this as a bold outline on an uncirculated coin, then the evidence would be strong that it happened at the mint.
    (There would still be some theory needed on how a small 2 got onto the die; usually such "misplaced date digits"
    are the same size as on the coin or series.).
    And the date was on the hub in 1924, so it's unlikely that a 2 punch was around.

You are also looking at a coin that has been around for 95 years, studied by collectors for many of those decades,
    and if there was a stray 2 on a die, several examples would have likely turned up by now.
    So, while it is not technically impossible, this increases the threshold for proof.

• TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

take 2 aspirin and call us in the morning

Frank

BHNC #203

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can clearly see the aberration that looks like a 2 in your second picture. Good picture by the way... However, that is post mint damage and the shape is coincidental. Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file